50 top-earning athletes in the U.S. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

50 top-earning athletes in the U.S.

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Illustrated and SI.com set out to discover who the 50 top-earning athletes in the U.S. are. And for the third year in a row, we came to the same conclusion: When it comes to the money game, no one even comes close to Tiger Woods, who has a jaw-dropping $97.6 million in earnings.

But the average wealth of the 50 actually fell by $500,000 since last year's list. The reason? Endorsers are taking fewer chances on athletes and increasingly turning to Hollywood celebrities (No. 2 Phil Mickelson and No. 4 Kobe Bryant are the only others on this list to have a noticeable increase in corporate income).

See list on this site: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/specials/fortunate50/index.html

Do these companies really make money paying Tiger and Mickelson this kind of cash? I mean really if I dont watch ESPN I dont hear anyone talking about either. I know golf equipment is crazy expensive and people buy a ton of it but seriously no one really cares about golf anywhere close to sports like the NBA or NFL that I know.

finfansince72 said:
Do these companies really make money paying Tiger and Mickelson this kind of cash? I mean really if I dont watch ESPN I dont hear anyone talking about either. I know golf equipment is crazy expensive and people buy a ton of it but seriously no one really cares about golf anywhere close to sports like the NBA or NFL that I know.

u are totally off base man . . golf is an extremely watched sport, and gets crazy ratings. Mainly because its probably the #1 sport in this country that people play. Not everybody plays football and basketball u know . . people play golf. You know it has to get ratings when a tournament like the US Open and even little baby tournaments get a 5 hour time slot on CBS Sunday in the middle of the afternoon . . and the ratings soar to records when Phil and Tiger are in contention on Sunday afternoon. Trust me, these companies get there money back. Imagine all those people who play golf and watch Tiger with his Nike gear on, or Phil with his Ford logo's, u think that doesn't effect how people choose there brand, definetly not everybody . . but it does effect some people.

Kdawg954 said:
u are totally off base man . . golf is an extremely watched sport, and gets crazy ratings. Mainly because its probably the #1 sport in this country that people play. Not everybody plays football and basketball u know . . people play golf. You know it has to get ratings when a tournament like the US Open and even little baby tournaments get a 5 hour time slot on CBS Sunday in the middle of the afternoon . . and the ratings soar to records when Phil and Tiger are in contention on Sunday afternoon. Trust me, these companies get there money back. Imagine all those people who play golf and watch Tiger with his Nike gear on, or Phil with his Ford logo's, u think that doesn't effect how people choose there brand, definetly not everybody . . but it does effect some people.

Does golf get primetime tournament showings? How many billions was the last NFL TV contract? I realize alot of people watch golf but seriously, guys like Tiger and Phil are making money that makes Jordan look like a lightweight and I remember when you could walk outside your house and see every other person wearing Jordans. I mean I understand these guys sell golf equipment and people certainly play a ton of golf, but I just havent seen the effect in my life, not even close, that bigtime NFL, NBA players, etc have had. These guys have the advantage that they arent in team sports so that helps since teams get a huge cut of jersey sales, etc. Golf is just not close to the same category as NFL, NBA, etc. When they start having monday night golf Ill see it but I just dont see it.

you do realize that monday night golf would be played at night??? hard to find the ball when its dark out

PeaTearGriffin said:
you do realize that monday night golf would be played at night??? hard to find the ball when its dark out

Cant be too much harder than hitting a 100mph fastball at night. Or driving 200mph at night with a guy 10 inches from your bumper. Golf has its place and the point made earlier that tons of people play it is 100 percent correct, but the TV ratings and contracts for the NFL or Nascar for that matter are much higher. Im talking mostly about the impact on everyones everyday life and the culture in general. Everyone watched Jordan, everyone watches the Superbowl, etc, golf has a huge middle age group of people that watch it on Sunday afternoon but I just dont see the impact like other sports. I mean every job Ive had, every class Ive taken, everywhere people talk about the big NFL game of the week, most people couldnt even tell you what golf tournament was on last weekend or who won it. ESPN and other networks talk about it night and day but really thats the only time I ever hear anyone giving a crap about it.

finfansince72 said:
Does golf get primetime tournament showings? How many billions was the last NFL TV contract? I realize alot of people watch golf but seriously, guys like Tiger and Phil are making money that makes Jordan look like a lightweight and I remember when you could walk outside your house and see every other person wearing Jordans. I mean I understand these guys sell golf equipment and people certainly play a ton of golf, but I just havent seen the effect in my life, not even close, that bigtime NFL, NBA players, etc have had. These guys have the advantage that they arent in team sports so that helps since teams get a huge cut of jersey sales, etc. Golf is just not close to the same category as NFL, NBA, etc. When they start having monday night golf Ill see it but I just dont see it.

Well they have Monday night golf my friend, u have just never watched it. And besides that, it is a little bit tuffer to play golf when its pitch black outside, they don't have the advantage of playing in a lit arena . . or if they did, trust me it would be on there . . but they have played golf under the lights before, on a monday night, and it got pretty good ratings. What golf is missing is a consistent competitor to Tiger Woods, Phil seems to be that guy, but he can be very inconsistent at times. Golf has always been popular, but now its crazy with Woods.

Sure players like Jordan and company were bigger influences in your life, golf tended to be a sport for old fogey's back in the day, but now it has turned on to the youth, and thats why its exploding. And u bring up players being on a team as being a reason why the golfers make more money . . "Ya think", golf is a individual sport, those guys work for themselves, they get a check based on what tournament they enter and what place they finish. A football player is a salaried employee w/ nice bonuses based on performance and can be cut at anytime. U could rush for 3000 yards and sure u would probably rack up some nice bonuses but ure salary stays the same. In golf, you could have a average earnings of one million a year, but if u suprise and win a major, hell u make more than your average earnings in one tournament, its all about performance man.

As kids and young adults, we grew up playing basketball and football and baseball, so we appreciate that more and watch it more, tradition in the family. But when u get older and start playing golf, u realize how tuff it is and find appreciation for good play when u see great golfers. I personally enjoy football over golf, but I can see how and why golfers make so much money. I never spent the big bucks to buy some Tiger Woods golf shoes, but I have bought plenty of Jordans in my lifetime, but alot of people don't think like me.

Golf is a little different than other sports when it comes to earnings. First of all, of the $97.6 million Tiger earned, only ~6 million of that is from golf tournaments; almost all of it is from endorsements (such as with Nike, etc..). Also, very few golfers make a lot of money (much fewer than NFL or other major team sports), meaning whatever wealth there is is not spread around as much, skewing the figures for the elite.

As for this Monday Night Football argument about golf not getting as much TV ratings as NFL, well not all money is made off of TV ratings. The most watched sport in the US is football, but you know which one is second? NASCAR!! But, how many people participate in any form of car racing??

If you're looking at participation (which is important if you're trying to sell merchandise), it's usually sports that rarely get on TV that are at the top. Here's a list from the Census Bureau from 1994 (too lazy to look it up for 2005 or so) which gives you some idea (and golf has increased in popularity since then):
http://www.census.gov/prod/2/gen/96statab/parks.pdf

Finally, let me add NONE of those guys deserve that money in my opinion!!

Back
Top Bottom