53-man roster projection with draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

53-man roster projection with draft

WaddleWaddle

Club Member
Reaction score
Now that Miami has made most of it's moves in FA (still expect a couple low-key signings), I thought it would be fun to complete a mock draft simulator and use it to predict the 2021-22 53-man roster. Before I list the roster, let me just say I am super excited for the draft because we are in prime position to absolutely load up. Anyways, let's get started with the draft results:

I started by trading the 3rd overall pick to Philly for the 6th overall pick, the 37th overall pick, the 70th overall pick and a 1st rounder next year (they selected Justin Fields) and then made the following selections:
6 - TE Kyle Pitts
18 - T Rashawn Slater
36 - WR Kadarius Toney
37 - RB Javonte Williams
50 - C Landon Dickerson
70 - RB Michael Carter
81 - LB Chazz Surratt
123 - DL Marlon Tuipulotu
231 - CB Shemar Jean-Charles
258 - S Trey Dean III (PS)

And here is the 53 man roster:
QB - Tua, Brissett
RB - Williams, Gaskin, Carter, Brown
WR - Parker, Fuller, Toney, Williams, Bowden Jr, Foster, Grant
TE - Pitts, Gesicki, Shaheen, Smythe, Carter
OL - Jackson, Flowers, Skura, Hunt, Slater, Kindley, Dickerson, Davis, Pankey
DL - Ogbah, Wilkins, Davis, Sieler, Butler, Strowbridge, Tuipulotu
LB - Baker, Mckinney, Van Ginkel, Surratt, Biegel, Scarlett, Riley
CB - Howard, Jones, Coleman, Needham, Igbo, Jean-Charles
S - McCain, Rowe, Jones
Specials - Sanders, Palardy, Ferguson

What do you guys think of this roster? I decided to load up on offense but there are so many different ways we can go. I know some people were upset with how quiet we were in FA (until the Fuller signing) but it definitely makes sense with the draft capital we have.

Now that Miami has made most of it's moves in FA (still expect a couple low-key signings), I thought it would be fun to complete a mock draft simulator and use it to predict the 2021-22 53-man roster. Before I list the roster, let me just say I am super excited for the draft because we are in prime position to absolutely load up. Anyways, let's get started with the draft results:

I started by trading the 3rd overall pick to Philly for the 6th overall pick, the 37th overall pick, the 70th overall pick and a 1st rounder next year (they selected Justin Fields) and then made the following selections:
6 - TE Kyle Pitts
18 - T Rashawn Slater
36 - WR Kadarius Toney
37 - RB Javonte Williams
50 - C Landon Dickerson
70 - RB Michael Carter
81 - LB Chazz Surratt

QB - Tua, Brissett
S - McCain, Rowe, Jones

What do you guys think of this roster? I decided to load up on offense but there are so many different ways we can go. I know some people were upset with how quiet we were in FA (until the Fuller signing) but it definitely makes sense with the draft capital we have.

I'd like an edge rusher added in this upcoming draft.
Seems like that's one position we didn't address in free agency. Otherwise, I would be pretty happy if we came away from the draft with most of these players.

6 - TE Kyle Pitts
18 - T Rashawn Slater
36 - WR Kadarius Toney
37 - RB Javonte Williams
50 - C Landon Dickerson
70 - RB Michael Carter
81 - LB Chazz Surratt

QB - Tua, Brissett
S - McCain, Rowe, Jones

My fear with your roster...

You've done zero to help our pass rush and edge play.

Not gonna happen. I’ve read in several articles People in Philly want Hurts starting. I don’t see Philly being a trade partner unless they value something other than a QB. Biggest issue with your draft is a Edge Rusher. It’s a big need

6 - TE Kyle Pitts
18 - T Rashawn Slater
36 - WR Kadarius Toney
37 - RB Javonte Williams
50 - C Landon Dickerson
70 - RB Michael Carter
81 - LB Chazz Surratt

QB - Tua, Brissett
S - McCain, Rowe, Jones

Straightaway don’t like the RB issue we haven’t addressed that position yet and your draft doesn’t either. Good read though

No way we drafting 2 of those RBs. Maybe one.

I don’t think they will target Pitts either.

Well you seem to have an opinion ... why not share it?

Not knowing the options available when the OP simulated it's not possible to say no way on anything ... unless it's no way you would do it ...IMO

I would rather look at edge in the 4th/5th if available ... and if character is found to be acceptable by the staff I would try to move up from 18 to snag Parsons ...
I think Pitts Waddle and Parsons will be game changers at some point ... I love the two top receivers but am thinking about the versatility Pitts and/or Waddle would add to our offense

6 - TE Kyle Pitts
18 - T Rashawn Slater
36 - WR Kadarius Toney
37 - RB Javonte Williams
50 - C Landon Dickerson
70 - RB Michael Carter
81 - LB Chazz Surratt

QB - Tua, Brissett
S - McCain, Rowe, Jones

There's no way we'd get all of those picks to move down 3 spots and really don't see Philly moving up at all anyway. The trade down to still makes the most sense is with Carolina.

I think the Dolphins end up picking at 3 because the teams looking to draft a QB in the draft will be able to select one of the top 5 QB’s without having to trade up. So at three I expect them to draft Sewell or one of the top three WR’s.
Hopefully Grant and Foster will not be on the final 53 roster. I would hope they can find upgrades for these two WR’s. I would much rather Wilson and Hurns make the final 53 than either Grant or Forter.
Williams isn’t a player you can count on because of injuries. So hopefully he will only be the 5th or 6th WR on the roster.

My 6 WR’s would be 1) Chase , Smith, or Waddle. Whichever they draft at 3 if they decide to draft a WR
2) Parker
3) Fuller
4) Wilson
5). Williams
6). Hurns or possibly a WR they take in the later rounds of the draft.

You lost me at Jakeem Grant still on the roster.

but seriously that’s a lot of work and your projections were fun to see as an option.

6 - TE Kyle Pitts
18 - T Rashawn Slater
36 - WR Kadarius Toney
37 - RB Javonte Williams
50 - C Landon Dickerson
70 - RB Michael Carter
81 - LB Chazz Surratt

QB - Tua, Brissett
S - McCain, Rowe, Jones

Thank you for drafting 2 solid hungry RBs we need that!!!

Fins will likely go WR in first round but I’m sure they’d like to trade back to do so. Remember Fuller is on a one year deal so they still need to stock up with possibly two drafted WRs.

I think the Dolphins end up picking at 3 because the teams looking to draft a QB in the draft will be able to select one of the top 5 QB’s without having to trade up. So at three I expect them to draft Sewell or one of the top three WR’s.
Hopefully Grant and Foster will not be on the final 53 roster. I would hope they can find upgrades for these two WR’s. I would much rather Wilson and Hurns make the final 53 than either Grant or Forter.
Williams isn’t a player you can count on because of injuries. So hopefully he will only be the 5th or 6th WR on the roster.

My 6 WR’s would be 1) Chase , Smith, or Waddle. Whichever they draft at 3 if they decide to draft a WR
2) Parker
3) Fuller
4) Wilson
5). Williams
6). Hurns or possibly a WR they take in the later rounds of the draft.
Bowden

I'm not a thread starter, but I'd love to see a version of this that is exact current projected depth/53 with:
  • bold the names you'd add (draft and FA) and where they would slot on team to start season
  • strike the names you'd drop
  • Explain how/why you'd move that way from now to training camp

Back
Top Bottom