7/30/2015 Philbin Transcript

Wildbill3

Onion Fetish
Club Member
Reaction score
MIAMI DOLPHINS QUOTES
Thursday, July 30, 2015

Head Coach Joe Philbin Press Conference

(Opening statement) “It was great being out on the practice field again. I thought we got a lot accomplished, we put in our normal down and distance package today and I thought the energy was good, that the effort was good. The attention to detail was good and obviously there’s a little bit of rust with five-and-a-half to six weeks since we practice, but overall, it’s good to get started.”

(On what RB LaMichael James role will be and moving him around) “Possibly, we’re a multiple formations team as you know and primarily a one back team. He’s a guy that’s got good skill-set, he can catch the football, he’s quick, he understands concepts well in the passing game and I think (offensive coordinator) Bill (Lazor) and his staff have done a good job of moving players around to different spots. Again, one of his attributes is his flexibility and ability to play different spots.”

(On what owner Stephen Ross told the players during his meeting with them today) “Whenever we get him down here, I always like for him to communicate with the team and develop a positive relationship with the guys. A lot of guys know him and he’s been here a number of times, but since he came down today, he obviously wanted to spend some time with the ball club. He told the team that, first and foremost, he bought the Miami Dolphins to build a championship organization, number one, and that he’s here to help and assist in any way possible. That he has a lot of confidence and optimism in the guys. It was a great message and it was great to have him.”

(On WR DaVante Parker’s status and if it was discouraging to put him the PUP list) “No, not at all. Again, this is a process, DaVante Parker is going to be an excellent football player here for a long time and so we’ll take it one day at a time. It’s a process and when he’s healthy we’ll get him on the field and he’ll practice. Once we’re confident he’s comfortable in his assignments and execution and he can help us win football games, he’ll go out and play.”

(On if WR DeVante Parker will be ready for the season opener on September 13) “Again, I’m taking it one day at a time. This is July 30th? It’s a long time away and we’ll see. I’m calm, I like what he’s doing, he’s working hard and he’s got a good attitude.”

(On if there is anything different this year on the first day as opposed to previous years) “Steve (Ross) and I were talking, he sensed a little different buzz and a little different feel. It’s a team that I feel good about from a chemistry standpoint so far. We’ve got 90 guys now, we’re going down to 53 as you know. I think our connection so far with the ball club, with the staff, with everybody, I feel very good about.”

(On DT Ndamukong Suh’s leadership) – “One thing he did is he encouraged Jordan Phillips to come out and train with him. That’s an example of leadership – of taking a young player, showing him obviously from a physical standpoint and a professionalism standpoint, a preparation standpoint, some of the things that he’s done to get himself ready. Now, to take a young player under his wing so to speak and do those things, so that’s one great example that he’s done already in the short time he’s been here.”

(On if there have been any changes in preparation to keep the team fresher for December) – “The nice thing is, Dave Puloka (Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach) and I were just talking about this, now we have a lot of information that we collected last year from practices, let’s say. So now, this afternoon, I’ll say Dave, I want a copy of last year’s first training camp, and everything is cumulative. This is the most efficient training camp that we’ve ever had in terms of the way the schedule is. The reps are down a little bit, not a lot, not considerably. Practices are a little bit shorter. All of this stuff, we think it’s going to add up and contribute. We’re not here to take shortcuts, because we all know that to win championships, it’s not going to be easy. I think we have more information and better information to make good decisions about what our team does in the future.”
(On T Branden Albert’s progress) – “Number one, it was great to have him out there today in the walkthrough and around his teammates. I think it’s good for him to get back to the football playing mentality. He’s worked extremely hard to put himself in position to get back and contribute to this football team. It was great to have him out. Again, that’s a day-to-day process. I have a lot of faith in him. He knows how he feels. He’s played at a high level in this league, so he’ll know when things are right.”
(On if he wants the players to think big in terms of winning this year and their expectations for the team) – “I talked to them yesterday about why I was here, why I took the job in Miami. I told Steve (Stephen Ross, Chairman of the Board/Managing General Partner) when I interviewed that I wanted a build a team that consistently competed for and won championships. That’s why we do what we do and that’s why they make the sacrifices they make. Everybody in this organization does the same. There is the AFC East Championship, there is the AFC Championship, and there is the Super Bowl Championship. Nothing has been decided. Those to me are really destinations, the Super Bowl is a destination, it’s not necessarily a goal. That’s why we invest and pour our hearts and souls into this stuff, to compete for championships.”
(On the importance of tradition and alumni) – “It’s been a big thing since the first day I was here. The entrance to the player locker room, the players park over here, they walk into the building we have number one thru 99, a historical perspective on their jersey number. They can look at every, whoever since 1966 wore that. The right side of the wall we’ve got every Hall of Famer, they walk past it every day. On the left side of the wall, we’ve got a chronological history of the franchise. That’s been something since day one that’s been absolutely critical. Every one of our alumni is always welcome here, they are a big part of why this a great franchise to be a part of. It’s absolutely essential.”

--DOLPHINS--

Back
Top Bottom