$7 million under | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

$7 million under

Bjorn

Go Giants
Reaction score
We are nearly $7 million under the cap right now so that gives us a little wiggle room. I think there is a possibility7 that we do get Law and Traylor not that good a possibility but still looming. I think Law might come down on him wanting so much money because I think he will feel threatened by sitting out next season w/o getting paid because he is askiing so much(kinda like Boston found out).

We're not getting law even though I wish otherwise. More than half of that 7m is allocated towards the rookie pool.

Consider our shopping list: Traylor/other DT and probably a depth CB.

Rookie pool... We still have to sign all of our rookies. That will be at least $4.5 million. Trust me bro, I was thinking the same thing before, but I forgot about all the rookies. After it's all said and done, we'll only have about $2-$2.5 million left. That should be enough to sign Traylor and Ricky to the Vet Min. I think Ty Law is out of the question.

Unless Ty Law salary can fit in David Bowens spot I don't see it happening..

painnotpleasure said:
Rookie pool... We still have to sign all of our rookies. That will be at least $4.5 million. Trust me bro, I was thinking the same thing before, but I forgot about all the rookies. After it's all said and done, we'll only have about $2-$2.5 million left. That should be enough to sign Traylor and Ricky to the Vet Min. I think Ty Law is out of the question.
Isn't Ricky pretty much playing for free since he owes us that money. I thought it was either that or he is already figured in our cap hit. I thought there was something particular going on since we were charged with his cap hit last year.

b_hjelmeland123 said:
Isn't Ricky pretty much playing for free since he owes us that money. I thought it was either that or he is already figured in our cap hit. I thought there was something particular going on since we were charged with his cap hit last year.
Unfortuately if Ricky comes back, the salary he was making for us (around $3 million a year) becomes reinstated. I also thought the same thing, how the hell can we be paying him money if he owes us $8.6 million?! But once he comes back, he apparently doesn't OWE us that money and his old contract is reinstated. Now the good news... His contract with most likely be restructured (I'm hoping to the Vet Min) and he will be making a lot less since he isn't reliable after he walked out on us. So what I expect to happen, if we re-sign him... his contract will be restructured to benefit our cap more. Currently we are $7 million under the cap and after we sign the rookies, it will be around $2.5 million. I think that should be enough to get Traylor and Ricky... Ty Law is going to be wanting too much, and I really don't see anyway we could afford him.

I would just release him if thats the case. I was one of his biggest supporters to come back since Dec. but if thats the way it is I just assume not have him in the locker room.

b_hjelmeland123 said:
I would just release him if thats the case. I was one of his biggest supporters to come back since Dec. but if thats the way it is I just assume not have him in the locker room.
I know what you mean but if he comes cheap for VET MIN, I think it would be such a low risk we would have nothing to lose but to gain. I'd risk like $540K to see if Ricky can still be productive for us. But if he's going to be getting paid $3 million+, I agree with you. But if we're going to re-sign him, I would think (and hope) it's for the Vet MIN (around $500K) which will be low risk. That way if Ricky screws us over again, we could easily move on without him this time. I'm pretty confident with our team right now without Ricky, and if he comes back and produces, that's only an ADDED bonus in my mind. I'm not a Ricky hater, I'm not a Ricky lover, but I want what's best for this team.

I agree with you he could help Ronnie out alot. But I still don't get how him coming back is going to make his debt to us dissapear. He still screwed us out of that money.

b_hjelmeland123 said:
I agree with you he could help Ronnie out alot. But I still don't get how him coming back is going to make his debt to us dissapear. He still screwed us out of that money.

Well obviously Wicky would not come back if he still owes the Phins that amount of $. Obviously the Dolphins are not going to want to pay him the kind of $ his last contract had in it. In this one area both sides have some leverage.

The Dolphins will make most of that debt disappear so long as Wicky plays ball so to speak. If not they have him over the barrel and his name is Sally. In this the Phins have all the leverage. :D

Im not sure how Rw's contract will play out. Essentially, by retiring for a year he broke the contract did he not?

Boik14 said:
Im not sure how Rw's contract will play out. Essentially, by retiring for a year he broke the contract did he not?

Essentially, but I believe it is valid for 3-years.

TerryTate said:
I thought that I saw somewhere that he would have to re-negotiate if he wanted to come back...
Yeah, that's what I heard too. I also heard it could possibly be for the Vet MIN which would be great. I haven't heard it on ESPN or anything, but I've read it somewhere on these boards I'm pretty sure.

I am not a lawyer, but I think once a contract is breached and ruled upon, the contract is basically voided. That however, does not make Ricky a free agent. The Dolphins do still own his rights under the original length of time in the contract.

Back
Top Bottom