90-in-90 Miami Dolphins Roster Breakdown: A.j. Derby | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

90-in-90 Miami Dolphins Roster Breakdown: A.j. Derby

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score

usa_today_10533313.0.jpg

Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports

Thus far through the offseason, we have completed 13 posts, taking a look at wide receiver Leonte Carroo, punter Matt Haack, safety T.J. McDonald, running back Buddy Howell, wide receiver DeVante Parker, defensive end William Hayes, wide receiver Isaiah Ford, safety/cornerback Walt Aikens, defensive end Claudy Mathieu, linebacker Kiko Alonso, cornerback Xavien Howard, long snapper Lucas Gravelle, and wide receiver Danny Amendola. Today, we take a look at tight end A.J. Derby.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/6/8/17441490/90-in-90-miami-dolphins-roster-breakdown-a-j-derby

Think we are wrong here .... at the close of last season, Derby was the best TE on the roster .... he will not get cut, Gray should .... we don’t need him as he brings nothing to the table at this point with Derby, Smythe + Gesicki.... that will be a talented group! Just give them some time to figure it out!

granted, we saw very little from Derby last season, but I completely disagree with this statement. Based on what they have shown on the field for the Fins, I think Gray is the better weapon compared to Derby.

I don't think the Fins keep 4 TE, right?

So, Geisicki, Smythe, and either Gray or Derby?

Man, this is going to be a raw TE group. I know Gray and Derby have both been around a little, but there's not a huge body of work.

I don't think the Fins keep 4 TE, right?

So, Geisicki, Smythe, and either Gray or Derby?

Man, this is going to be a raw TE group. I know Gray and Derby have both been around a little, but there's not a huge body of work.

Raw, yes. But quite possibly one of the most athletic and talent-laden we've had in a long time.

Fans worry about who is going to replace Landry. I've always thought removing Landry opens up our play calling and provides for more diversification within the offense. The balls will still be thrown. Now the challenge is get more strategic production from the same passes. Grant, Geisicki, Gray, Stills, Parker, any of the RBs.... we have plenty of mouths to feed. And each bring their own dynamics to the table.

If you look at the loss of Landry as the focal point, you're missing the opportunity created.

Gase is going to have some difficult decisions to make with TE and WR when trimming down to 53.

In all fairness, I'll take two catches from Grant for 100 yards over Landry's 8 catches for 80 yards every day. Landry was a surrogate RB in many situations. While Grant can open up the running game.

Lots of opportunities for guys trying to make a name for themselves. This could be fun.

I think they keep four tight ends, but don't be too quick to dismiss Gavin Escobar. He has the most experience of any of the 6 tight ends on the roster and I think people underestimate him due to his showing with the Cowboys, but he was playing behind a future Hall of Famer. Not saying Escobar is a lock for the roster but I think he'll be in the mix once preseason rolls around.

Last edited:
Think we are wrong here .... at the close of last season, Derby was the best TE on the roster .... he will not get cut, Gray should .... we don’t need him as he brings nothing to the table at this point with Derby, Smythe + Gesicki.... that will be a talented group! Just give them some time to figure it out!
Respectfully disagree on Derby. I prefer Gray on the field.

Back
Top Bottom