A 20+ year playoff win drought. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A 20+ year playoff win drought.

St Pat's start early this year? About to begin myself. Then it will all make sense ... 1 bottomless bloody at a time.

What I'm trying to present to you is that the Chiefs broke their 20+ playoff drought by NOT flipping over the table after losing in the playoffs in 2014, in Reid's second year. They stayed the course, and got everyone on the same page. From 2015 on, they've been a powerhouse, even before Mahomes.

Hit a refresh and you would see I deleted that after seeing your last message.

Do what you will, but just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean I'm wrong.
Its not about right or wrong, its about being respectful of one another. Thanks and have a great weekend.

And the Colts were still in the East.

What bearing does that have on today?

The Golden State Warriors were a laughing stock.

The New England Patriots were a laughing stock.

The Boston Red Sox were a laughing stock.

Personally, I am not sure I know anyone who's laughing at the Dolphins right now. There are alot of laughing stocks in the NFL right now, not sure how you figure Miami is one of them.

I'd rather lose to the Chiefs than pretending a win against Pittsburgh at home would've made me feel better. And thats coming from a pessimist who's criticized Grier quite a bit. I'd be a lot more concerned if all we did this off season was sign Wilkins to a $110M contract or Hunt for $100M or if my biggest addition was Curtis Samuel or if my best DB was Rasul Douglas.

A 96 yard punt return and negative 25 degree weather isn't enough for me to give up on my favorite team.

But I know one person who is definitely a laughing stock on Finheaven.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm not making my point well.

I'm not insisting the Dolphins are the next Chiefs. (COULD they be? Sure.)

I'm saying that a 20+ year playoff win drought is not reason enough to fire Grier and insist McDaniel is on the hot seat, and using the history of the Chiefs drought as an example of why.

EDIT: And for what it's worth, I don't "celebrate" St. Patrick's day until St, Patrick's Day. But I'll probably drink some Guinness today anyway. And maybe some Jameson's. I'm Irish...so I kinda celebrate St. Patrick's Day every day.

Now build a team that can stop them.

Defense, Defense, Defense.

I don't want to injure Mahomes or Allen but I definitely want to hurt them (and scare them).

We gotta figure out the the OL situation before the draft so we have the ability to add to the defense.
And we have to be able to win in the trenches on the offensive side of the ball. Short yardage, red zone, and up the middle on the road. Look how the Chiefs beat the Ravens in Baltimore. They ran it up the gut and stuck to it.

And we have to be able to win in the trenches on the offensive side of the ball. Short yardage, red zone, and up the middle on the road. Look how the Chiefs beat the Ravens in Baltimore. They ran it up the gut and stuck to it.
And this is something that Miami can't/won't do. They've placed far more emphasis on offensive weapons than they did building a competent o-line, which made no sense considering they drafted an injured QB. It also didn't help that toward the end of the season, McDaniel started throwing the ball on 3rd or 4th and short instead of running it. While some of this can be blamed on injuries, McDaniel IMO was also not very good at effective playcalling.

Last edited:
Twenty-plus years. TWENTY. A playoff drought that's old enough to drink.

Fans sick of it. Players sick of it. Everyone's sick of it.

Sure, they made the playoffs a few times, but they manage to lose, sometimes in excruciating fashion, even with amazing weapons.

And 50 years since a Super Bowl. Everyone's tired of opposing fanbases saying "you haven't done anything in 50 years!"

And then, in his third year, the new HC finally wins a playoff game. Everything's rosy for the future.

Of course, I'm talking about the Kansas City Chiefs, who didn't win a playoff game between the early 90s and Andy Reid's third year as a HC. What did you think I was on about?

Patience, Dolphins fans. The best is yet to come.
Great post man.
Also people rip this team the last two years for not winning a playoff game. Well the reason we have this long streak of no playoff wins is because the other dolphin teams in last 20 years couldn’t get to the playoffs. Like we almost never made it. From 2002 to before McDaniel first year. 2008 2016. Can’t win a playoff game if you can’t make playoffs. This isn’t on tua and McDaniel and current team. Blame Philbin gase and those teams.

And the Colts were still in the East.
And I had all my hair.....and it wasn't gray.....who cares?

Yes, it's been a drought, but droughts do come to an end and hopefully it is coming to an end soon. I've seen just about all my fave teams in all sports win titles, but THIS is the one I've been living all my 50 years to party over.

And this is something that Miami can't/won't do. They've placed far more emphasis on offensive weapons than they did building a competent o-line, which made no sense considering they drafted an injured QB. It also didn't help that toward the end of the season, McDaniel started throwing the ball on 3rd or 4th and short instead of running it. While some of this can be blamed on injuries, McDaniel IMO was also not very good at effective playcalling.
That was true at times last year. Perhaps they learned something? At other times, the offense was brilliant, that is also true is it not?

That was true at times last year. Perhaps they learned something? At other times, the offense was brilliant, that is also true is it not?
Well, as others who are more knowledgeable than me have pointed out, McDaniel's playcalling seemed to look good early, possibly with scripted plays, but once defenses figured out how to disrupt it, he wasn't as good anymore. Like I said, McDaniel is not an experienced OC and playcaller, so he's basically learning how to not only be a HC, but also how to be an OC. That's not fair to an offense with some talented weapons; the offense would be better off with an experienced playcaller (along with a better o-line).

Well, as others who are more knowledgeable than me have pointed out, McDaniel's playcalling seemed to look good early, possibly with scripted plays, but once defenses figured out how to disrupt it, he wasn't as good anymore. Like I said, McDaniel is not an experienced OC and playcaller, so he's basically learning how to not only be a HC, but also how to be an OC. That's not fair to an offense with some talented weapons; the offense would be better off with an experienced playcaller (along with a better o-line).

I'm of the opinion a lot of the "figured it out" part has to do with "getting the ball out in 2-2.5 seconds" bit. Defenses figured out "all we have to do is disrupt the WR for 2 seconds, and we disrupt the entire offense."

Losing a huge chunk of the O-Line didn't help to that end, either - Miami just couldn't run the ball as well consistently late in the season.

Perhaps I'm not making my point well.

I'm not insisting the Dolphins are the next Chiefs. (COULD they be? Sure.)

I'm saying that a 20+ year playoff win drought is not reason enough to fire Grier and insist McDaniel is on the hot seat, and using the history of the Chiefs drought as an example of why.

EDIT: And for what it's worth, I don't "celebrate" St. Patrick's day until St, Patrick's Day. But I'll probably drink some Guinness today anyway. And maybe some Jameson's. I'm Irish...so I kinda celebrate St. Patrick's Day every day.
You are making your point just fine!

Fun post and a surprise ending! Thanks for a bit of levity today.....

Back
Top Bottom