A Better Draft Than We Realized? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Better Draft Than We Realized?

I don't know how many of you people watched (all) of the games last year, and I'm not knocking anyone else's opinion, either. I thought Feeley did show promise last year. It wasn't very often we were able to get any semblence of a running game going andthe opposing defenses picked up on that real quick. Take away the running game and it's obvious what a team is going to do. The D rush was gunning for Feeley constantly. Our O-Line was nothing short of horrible and opposing defenses were getting strong penetration regularly. Feeley took hit after hit every game. He hung in there and still got some nice passes off. In between those nice passes he made some really poor decisions, as well. However, I'm sure as obvious as it was to us that the O-line was not blocking, it was even more obvious to Feeley; and you know that was in his head every time he took the ball from under center. The QB has to have some confidence in his blockers in order to make the reads and good decisions. Whether or not this changes this next season remains to be seen. But I prefer to withhold judgement until then.

If Feely pans out, along with these rooks, we will definitely have very sweet memories of this draft in several years.

I think the one nice thing about feely is he will either really suck or be an probowl player. Fiedler was the guy that hung around and you could never really tell if he was good or bad. 5 years of hoping is to long. We should know right away with the new coach and some running talent if feely can play and was just under a bad coach last year or if he just sucks and Gus comes in. I wished we would have picked up a project qb with some talent. Bottom line is wannstedt was such a joke it is hard to really tell if you have any talent at Qb.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Time will tell about the picks, but it looks good. And the jury is out on Feeley, Gordon.

the way i look at it. AJ feely can't do any worst than he did last year. It is impossible....Plus his azz would be on the bench for gus. That alone should give us 4 more wins. Thats starting off the season at 500. Now if some of these other guys preform we have alot to look forward to. :tongue:

Dbergan said:
Not sure if I would agree that Chambers and McMike did all that well. Not to say that they did all that bad...but they were on a 4 win team w/ a horrid offense...so they most likely would get lumped in w/ the rest by many who review the phins.

I dont think Marino could have done miracles last year....maybe won us 3-4 more games...but the end result would have been the same in the end.

I believe with "Dan the Man", we could have done much better. Just imagine Booker, Chambers and McMichael actually having a Top QB throwing the ball to them. And remember Marino did not need much time to throw the ball.

It must be very frustraiting to Chambers, with his speed and agility, that no QB on this team has been able to hit him on the open field. We don´t need another top WR on our team, we just need good pass protection and improve our starting QB.

Baltimore has shown us that you can win the Superbowl with a mediocre QB...... but then again, remeber how amazing their defense was! And that running back was very good too!

FinFan57 said:
Most people are evaluating our draft solely on the 6 draft picks we made. Those picks alone, in my opinion, made this the best draft the Dolphins have had in years. We received great value with each pick and we addressed crucial needs.

In addition, it appears we will pick up 4 or 5 solid undrafted free agents. Perhaps most importantly, we forget that A.J. Feeley, Lamar Gordon, and David Boston were all obtained with pick from THIS draft. That means that our starting QB, starting RB (Brown) and his backup (Gordon), plus all the other picks and free agents this year combine to make this a superb draft. Imagine if Boston comes back and contributes.

Without a doubt, we absolutely smoked every other AFC East team in this year's draft. I really don't think that any of the other teams helped themselves that much. However, the Dolphins have catapulted into respectability again due to this year's draft, especially if Feeley and Gordon (and Boston) contribute.

Amazing the difference you get when you have a smart person making the picks huh?

Regarding last years decisions that used picks for this year.......they are very much in question.

I would have loved to see what Saban would have done with that high second and high third that Spielman traded away.

BlueFin said:
I would have loved to see what Saban would have done with that high second and high third that Spielman traded away.

Thats why I cringed every time a draft pick was dealt away last year.I knew there would be a dire need of them for the new coaching staff that was bound to come in.

And I didnt trust the dynamic duo's negotiation and personnel evaluation skills.
I suppose I have to be happy they didnt deal our No 1 pick which would have been disastrous considering where we finished.

I just don't believe that Saban would NOT have drafted a QB if he didn't have some faith in Feeley. Futhermore, Linehan is a great evaluator and teacher of QB's. I'm sure he would have told Nick to grab one if they had no faith in Feeley.

I think this draft combined with a starting QB in the 2nd round will be awesome.

We got 3 players who many projected to go in the 1st. Anytime that happens it's a good thing. No question Crowder is a risk and did not slip for no reason. But Saban seemed to stick to his draft board and we didn't trade an '06 2nd rounder for a 3rd this year. It seems we've been doing that ever since JJ and thank God we didn't do it again. Next year we get our franchise LT if we pick high enough. Atleast top 15 we could grab a decent one if Houck doesn't do something with our current LTs.

All in all it was a better draft than I expected but I just cringe when I think of what kind of draft we could've had w/o the Feeley and Gordon trades.:fire: It could have been A+ and set us up for years.

Dbergan said:
Not sure if I would agree that Chambers and McMike did all that well. Not to say that they did all that bad...but they were on a 4 win team w/ a horrid offense...so they most likely would get lumped in w/ the rest by many who review the phins.

I agree that AJ is not a rookie...but name me how many games he has started in the NFL prior to the Phins. Now, think about the suituation that he was introduced to last year.

You simply can't make a solid conclusion on AJ based on last year. BUT....I think Saban can and will very shortly. If Gus starts then you are right and AJ is done...but lets just wait and see....AJ might surprise w/ a good coach and a good supporting staff.

I dont think Marino could have done miracles last year....maybe won us 3-4 more games...but the end result would have been the same in the end.
Please do not misunderstand me.

I don't think AJ is done. He IS our QB, but he isn't worth the #35 pick in the draft... as Bluefin has pointed out. I saw every one of our games last year and AJ was far from great.

We could have got better players at #35 and #66/67 (whichever it was), that is why I don't agree with the original statement that our draft was better with these guys taken into account.

finsnchips said:
Please do not misunderstand me.

I don't think AJ is done. He IS our QB, but he isn't worth the #35 pick in the draft... as Bluefin has pointed out. I saw every one of our games last year and AJ was far from great.

We could have got better players at #35 and #66/67 (whichever it was), that is why I don't agree with the original statement that our draft was better with these guys taken into account.
I agree.

The honest truth is we really don't know how good Feeley and Gordon will be this year. One thing is for sure, we're going to find out. If they have good years, then this draft could go down as great, but if they have bad years, it was still a very good draft.

Back
Top Bottom