A Case for Trading Down | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Case for Trading Down

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If we are to believe the so called "experts" and numerous mock drafts available, I believe that many of the players who could make an impact with us may be gone by the 16th pick. Players such as, Michael Huff, Jay Cutler, Chad Greenway, even Jimmy Williams are predicted to go before #16.

If this holds true, there are several good reasons to trade down....

1) The obvious reason is that we will spend less and acquire an additional pick for a lower first round pick

2) So many talented guys including Manny Lawson, Gabe Watson, Max Jean Gilles, Nick Mangold, for example, should be available later in round 1.

3) Other players we need should be available in rounds 2 and 3 anyway, such as Whitehurst or Croyle, Cromartie or Marshall, for instance.

Bottom line is that we have many needs and to pick up an extra pick and still be able to add quality at the positions we need, O-line, DB, and QB, makes sense to me. Even if we pick up a 4th or 5th pick by trading down, this is a deep draft and we should be able to add a quality player there. Things are different with Saban. You know he's not going to make idiotic picks like Wanny and Spielman, so getting extra picks in this draft makes a lot of sense to me.

I completely agree. There a very few times i would be against trading down

I agree with you. The problem is that we need another team that wants to trade up to #16. What team would trade up, and for what player?

In almost every draft a majority of teams are willing to trade down. In fact, we wanted to last year, but didn't get any good offers. That's the problem every year, trade partners wanting to trade up. So if you go in planning to trade down with your 1st round pick you're going to fail +90% of the time (or have to take crappy offers).

josephreese said:
I agree with you. The problem is that we need another team that wants to trade up to #16. What team would trade up, and for what player?

If QB Cutler, OT Justice, OLB Greenway, or CB Williams aren't there at #16, problably means RB White, RB Williams, or TE Davis is available. Depending on free agency, many teams could be interested in trading in front of the Vikings for a RB. Panthers, Colts, and possibly even Jaguars, Broncos, Steelers & Seahawks. TE Davis would be harder to find suitors but Broncos, Bears, & Panthers might be interested. Or maybe we'll just call the Vikes and con a 4th out of them to trade up one spot.:D

I think this might be a good draft to trade down for a couple of reasons. One, as I mentioned above, I don't think we'll lose a lot by trading down. The players at the bottom of the first are almost as good as the ones likely available at 16.

Second, we had the #2 pick last year - very hard pick to trade down with. The cap hit and the value of #2 make it awfully hard. The 16th pick is much easier.

Thirdly, we have a few pawns to trade with this year....Booker, Madison, Ricky who may entice a few teams. I don't think the value we could get for Ricky is worth trading him compared to having a great backfield with Ronnie and Ricky, but I think Booker and Madison are examples of decent players that may sweeten the deal for a few teams.

Finally, this is a good, deep draft and we're missing a 5th and 6th round pick. Even if we only get a second day pick for trading down in the first, we'll still get a decent quality player.

I'm just not sure anyone who is left at 16 will be that much better than some of the players we can pick up later in the round. Hopefully, we can find a trading partner.

in that case trade down if you can unless an a offenisive lineman ; nick like is there and he can't pass on him

This year's draft is a great one for trading down. So many talented players, we should grab as many of them as we can. I still think the best way to go is try to bunch up as many picks as you can between the 25th selection and the 50th or 60th selection.

I totally agree. Unless we have a deff pick at 16, then we should trade down. We have alot of needs and only a few picks. Trading down means more picks to fill those holes that we have. If those guys arnt there, then yeah, trade down if we can. I just hope we dont trade down and miss someone we might be targeting

FinFan57 said:
If we are to believe the so called "experts" and numerous mock drafts available, I believe that many of the players who could make an impact with us may be gone by the 16th pick. Players such as, Michael Huff, Jay Cutler, Chad Greenway, even Jimmy Williams are predicted to go before #16.

If this holds true, there are several good reasons to trade down....

1) The obvious reason is that we will spend less and acquire an additional pick for a lower first round pick

2) So many talented guys including Manny Lawson, Gabe Watson, Max Jean Gilles, Nick Mangold, for example, should be available later in round 1.

3) Other players we need should be available in rounds 2 and 3 anyway, such as Whitehurst or Croyle, Cromartie or Marshall, for instance.

Bottom line is that we have many needs and to pick up an extra pick and still be able to add quality at the positions we need, O-line, DB, and QB, makes sense to me. Even if we pick up a 4th or 5th pick by trading down, this is a deep draft and we should be able to add a quality player there. Things are different with Saban. You know he's not going to make idiotic picks like Wanny and Spielman, so getting extra picks in this draft makes a lot of sense to me.

If what your saying is true(I'm not sure it is), then the very reason you want to trade down is the very reason it will be difficult finding a team wanting to trade up.

I think some true impact players will be around at 16 in this deep draft, however, like always, it depends on who is actually there when our pick comes up and what we are being offered.

So, its really impossible to say whether we should or should not until the moment is at hand.

BlueFin said:
If what your saying is true(I'm not sure it is), then the very reason you want to trade down is the very reason it will be difficult finding a team wanting to trade up.

I think some true impact players will be around at 16 in this deep draft, however, like always, it depends on who is actually there when our pick comes up and what we are being offered.

So, its really impossible to say whether we should or should not until the moment is at hand.

Exactly, some people seriously underestimate what it takes to trade down in the draft.

josephreese said:
Bing bing bing

And for the EXACT reasons he listed in the first post, thats why we wont find a team willing to trade up.

rafael said:
In almost every draft a majority of teams are willing to trade down. In fact, we wanted to last year, but didn't get any good offers. That's the problem every year, trade partners wanting to trade up. So if you go in planning to trade down with your 1st round pick you're going to fail +90% of the time (or have to take crappy offers).

this is the key. You guys can invent all the trade senarios you want but unless Nick get what he feels is value it ain't happening. I cannot think of what carrot we might offer that would find us a willing partner.

Back
Top Bottom