A different thought on drafting a WR.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A different thought on drafting a WR....

Steve Smith is 5-9, 185
Reggie Wayne 5-10, 198
Santonio Holmes is 5-11, 192
Wes Welker-5-9, 185
Steve Smith (NYG) 5-9, 190
Greg Jennings- 5-9, 197
Derik Mason 5-10, 192
Santana Moss 5-10, 197
These are just some of the receivers who seem to be ok at such a hight, weight. None of these guys run that fast FTR.
Reggie Wayne is 6'0, 198
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2578

Steve Smith (NYG) is 5'11, 195
http://espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10495

Greg Jennings is 5'11 198
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9638

and FWIW the colts stable of wideouts were picked up :Wayne (#30) dallas clark(#24) austin collie (4th rnd) and garcon (6th rnd). i believe they got their money's worth.

I don't remember if it was 2006 or 2007, but in one of those recent years 7 of the top 10 WR's for total yards were 6 feet tall or shorter.

The knock on Ford has always been he is a track guy. Questionable hands and route running. Surprising to see he is doing so well in practice. The guy has the one thing you cant coach and thats speed.

If we trade Ginn for a 5th or whatever theirs a good chance we will be picking up a fast WR in the draft.

If any of you have seen Ford play, you'd know he's not "just a track guy" and his route running is fine.Most nfl teams have a 2 or 3rd round grade on him,and have for some time now.

Ford isn't soft ether, like Ginn.

He's a REAL football player that just happens to run track.

Here's a link for the wannabe draftnik's that are to lazy to watch him play http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=2201

Price and Ford are 2 WRs that will be great players on their respective teams IMO. And i think Thomas is the 2nd best WR in the draft, followed closely by Benn.

The best I can find on official 40 times....This was from 2007.
"The NFL did not begin using partial electronic timing (started by hand, stopped electronically) at the Scouting Combine until 1990. In the electronic timing era, the fastest recorded time at the NFL Combine was 4.25 seconds by cornerback Fabian Washington in 2005. "
I think Chris Johnson was timed at 4.24. Does anybody have other data? (Not the pre-1990 data please)

Price and Ford are 2 WRs that will be great players on their respective teams IMO. And i think Thomas is the 2nd best WR in the draft, followed closely by Benn.

I'm not sold on Price- from what little that I've seen he doesn't play as fast as his 40 time would indicate. I would draft Briscoe and Ford over Price. And I would draft Briscoe over Gilyard, and with Ford impressing at the Senior Bowl and now the combine, I'd probably take him over Gilyard as well. Ford brings flat out speed and he's shifty. The immediate comparison for a long time Dolphins fan is Mark Duper. If two of the three- Bryant, Benn, and Ford- could be added to the roster with Ginn and one more gone- or maybe carrying five and just Ginn gone- I think that it would be a step in the right direction.

I believe we should wait until rd 3 and pick up Jacoby Ford WR Clemson. He is THE fastest player in college football. He will not shy from the middle like Ginn. He is Ginn without the fear factor and the sideline ducks. He is not the best overall WR in this class, but he can stretch the field and make our other WRs better. What's more he can actually catch the ball. That will free up rd 1 & 2 for other needs.
A 3rd is a reach. We don't need burners, we need physical WR's who get YAC.

My problem with Ford is that his track speed which everyone knows he has doesn't translate well to his field play. Has problems getting open becasue of below average routes and doesn't jump to the ball all that well. What I mean by jump to the ball is coming back to the ball on hitch, in and out routes. Everyone knows that he has great stright line speed but that doesn't work well as a receiver in the NFL. He is great with the ball in his hands but yhe has to be able to get open to get the ball in his hands which he has not shown to really be able to do.

Back
Top Bottom