A Dolphin's draft synopsis | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Dolphin's draft synopsis

vinivedivichi

So you're telling me there's a chance...
Reaction score
Draft for need or draft BPA? Do we need to draft a quarterback or put all of our faith in Culpepper? Those are just a couple of the questions that will need to be answered before the upcoming draft. This is a VERY important draft for us; we are an aging team that needs to find young exciting players to help our new coach succeed.

That said, what is our strategy? People often want to know if we are going defense or offense, BPA or need, etc. The problem with an approach like that is it ignores the dynamic nature of the draft. The key to having a good draft is having some general ideas, but having the flexibility to adapt to situations that develop on draft day.

So what are our general ideas? I think we need to go BPA in every round...regardless of any perceived "needs." Why? For one, drafting the BPA is generally a good strategy because you never know how your team will look 2 or three years down the road. It doesn't make sense to sacrifice talent to fill a current need, when in a year or two you could have used the more talented guy anyway. Furthermore, this Dolphin team is built to sustain "BPA drafts;" look up and down our roster and tell me where there is a glaring weakness. Granted, we need to improve in a lot of areas, but more than anything we need good players. We have average receivers, offensive lineman, defensive backs, young defensive linemen, and linebackers (outside of ZT), Although we cold use say an outside linebacker or a LT, more than anything we need guys we can depend on over the long term.

So, in general terms, we need to try to target the most talented player on the board with every pick we make. Based the general feeling of the current draft class, this is the way I would like to see our draft work out:

1). Gaines Adams/Jamal Anderson - these guys look to be two of the surest things in this draft, and at least one of them hopefully will be available when we pick.

2). Lamarr Woodley/Brandon Siler - See above.

3). Drew Stanton/Trent Edwards - this seems like a deviation from BPA, but it's really not. If you feel (obviously I do) that these two guys have starting QB potential, now is the time to take that flyer on them. Both of these guys have talent that is above general 3rd round quality, and they are quarterbacks. If it works out, great. If not, a third rounder squandered can be overcome from a general strong draft.

I'm not going to go any further, in fact it's too early to even speculate the top 5 picks, much less 3 rounds. However, I think we need to stockpile talent regardless of the position. If both our first two picks are DE"s, oh well. We need to get guys that have potential to long term starters - not guys that will fill short term needs.

Draft for need or draft BPA? Do we need to draft a quarterback or put all of our faith in Culpepper? Those are just a couple of the questions that will need to be answered before the upcoming draft. This is a VERY important draft for us; we are an aging team that needs to find young exciting players to help our new coach succeed.

That said, what is our strategy? People often want to know if we are going defense or offense, BPA or need, etc. The problem with an approach like that is it ignores the dynamic nature of the draft. The key to having a good draft is having some general ideas, but having the flexibility to adapt to situations that develop on draft day.

So what are our general ideas? I think we need to go BPA in every round...regardless of any perceived "needs." Why? For one, drafting the BPA is generally a good strategy because you never know how your team will look 2 or three years down the road. It doesn't make sense to sacrifice talent to fill a current need, when in a year or two you could have used the more talented guy anyway. Furthermore, this Dolphin team is built to sustain "BPA drafts;" look up and down our roster and tell me where there is a glaring weakness. Granted, we need to improve in a lot of areas, but more than anything we need good players. We have average receivers, offensive lineman, defensive backs, young defensive linemen, and linebackers (outside of ZT), Although we cold use say an outside linebacker or a LT, more than anything we need guys we can depend on over the long term.

So, in general terms, we need to try to target the most talented player on the board with every pick we make. Based the general feeling of the current draft class, this is the way I would like to see our draft work out:

1). Gaines Adams/Jamal Anderson - these guys look to be two of the surest things in this draft, and at least one of them hopefully will be available when we pick.

3). Drew Stanton/Trent Edwards - this seems like a deviation from BPA, but it's really not. If you feel (obviously I do) that these two guys have starting QB potential, now is the time to take that flyer on them. Both of these guys have talent that is above general 3rd round quality, and they are quarterbacks. If it works out, great. If not, a third rounder squandered can be overcome from a general strong draft.

I'm not going to go any further, in fact it's too early to even speculate the top 5 picks, much less 3 rounds. However, I think we need to stockpile talent regardless of the position. If both our first two picks are DE"s, oh well. We need to get guys that have potential to long term starters - not guys that will fill short term needs.

How do you feel about Ted Ginn, Jr. at #9

TED GINN JR or LEON HALL or Reggie Nelson

I think Ginn jr will be gone by 9. I think we could get jarrett or trade down and grab levi brown LT out of Penn State. Leon Hall wouldn't be a bad pick but I think getting a WR like Jarrett or Ginn that could open things up for CC and the entire offense will be where Mueller/Cam go.

I think Ginn also fits into a BPA type pick. There's no doubt the guy is electric - and that's one thing that has been missing on the offensive side of the ball since Ricky abandoned us. He actually is the type of true speedster that would fit well in our offense paired with CC. However, my one concern is simply that he is a receiver. Receivers, however amazing they look on paper, tend to have a high "bust" rate in the NFL. I think it's very important that we have a fruitful draft in terms of selecting guys that will be contributors for us over the long haul.

That said, you're never going to pick great players if your strategy involves always taking the safe pick. Ginn is as talented as any player we could take with our first pick, and for that reason I would support picking him at this point.

I think the BPA mentality really comes into play after the first round. Everything is so over-analyzed in the first round that you can validate taking any player that reasonably fits into your draft slot. If I hear Ginn or Leon Hall or Laron Landry's name called on draft day I won't be upset at all. All of those guys seem to be "worth" a top draft pick and I defer to the guys that make the key decisions for a pick that may simply be a difference of opinion. In the later rounds there is a tendency to shy away from a quality player that may play the same position an earlier pick plays; or maybe you start to feel the pressure to fill a couple of holes on the roster. That is the main thing we need to avoid. We have to stockpile high-end talent no matter the position.

im sure this wont go over well with anybody but lets say that adrian peterson falls to #9, a lot of mocks have him going somewhere between 6-8, if peterson is still on the board at 9 i wouldnt mind seeing the dolphins take him just because of his potential... look at the teams still alive in the playoffs, they all have 2 headed running attacks, of course i would much rather go anywhere other than rb with our first pick but at some point in the draft i think rb has to be an option

Leon Hall is a NO GO! he isn't good against top notice WR's ala Ginn and Jarrett AND doesnt fit our system. at all. I would LOVE to have Anderson and then Adams.

Hall covered Steve Smith. He actually does fit our zone system.

Peterson falling to us would be a really difficult situation. He probably would be the most talented player on the board, but this would be maybe an extraordinary circumstance. I wouldn't be against the pick if he and Ronnie didn't have such similar styles; both are big workhorse type running backs. It's not a Reggie Bush/Deuce McAllister situation

The best scenario would be a trade down with someone needing a runningback - maybe GB, TN, or NYG, depending on what they are willing to give up.

Peterson falling to us would be a really difficult situation. He probably would be the most talented player on the board, but this would be maybe an extraordinary circumstance. I wouldn't be against the pick if he and Ronnie didn't have such similar styles; both are big workhorse type running backs. It's not a Reggie Bush/Deuce McAllister situation

The best scenario would be a trade down with someone needing a runningback - maybe GB, TN, or NYG, depending on what they are willing to give up.

Peterson falling to means he falls to one of the teams behind us that would need/want him. Unless a team feels that we or a team immediately behind us would pick him, they would have no incentive to trade up.

Peterson may have more natural ability than Ronnie in some aspects, but I don't think you'll have a problem getting a trade if Adrian's there.

What you need to hope is that Peterson is picked early and I mean EARLY. He needs to be picked by the Browns at the 3-4. If that happens then that means Houston will most likely either go for Branch or Lynch.

Without trades I say:

1- Russell
2- Quinn
3- Peterson
4- Johnson
5- Thomas
6- Anderson
7- Jarrett (I think he runs a good time and Minnesota decides to give their young DEs a little more time to perform or goes for a trade with the Bucs for Simeon Rice).
8- Branch
9- Adams

I say you draft NEED at #9. Why? Because drafting that high we have a shot at a top player at his position...

Example: we need WR...Jarrett/Ginn Jr will be available at #9
Example: we need DB...Nelson will be available at #9

We will use FA to fill the OLineman we need: Steinbach or Davis will both be available

If I were Mueller/Cam...I would pursue Steinbach and either Clements or Stalworth via FA

then go either Nelson if we land Stalworth... or Ginn Jr/Jarrett if we aquire Clements

If 2 high priced FAs is too much for Wayne Huizenga...then I would sign Steinbach and Kevin Curtis via FA

and draft Nelson, Ginn Jr, or Jarrett at #9

the dolphins need to be great on draft day, we can't another year of only getting help from special teams in the draft

there was a rumor on here the other day about getting deilman from san diego if cam was hired, if we pick up him do we still go for davis or steinbach how much help does the OL need, id like going into the draft and not have to worry if we can get OL in the draft

Back
Top Bottom