A.Edwards is now a Fin! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A.Edwards is now a Fin!

With this signing, we should once again have the best secondary in the league. Although I still wonder what will happen to Bell, as I think he is to good not to play.

well with edwards aboard .. we now have a very deep secondary... with anyone of the reserve players capable of starting in a pinch... although edwards has been injury prone .. i believe at 26 he still can be an effective player.. you just don't teach speed and hitting like this kid has... he is going to bring solid competition to miami's safety postion .. he is versitale as well ... miami now has a free safety that can cover and a backup that can contribute in the dime packages.. good move for spielman ... and WOW!! look at the speed maimi now has at safety .. freeman, bell, and edwards all can run .. something miami has never had at the position .. i'm getting the feeling that spielman has another plan come draft day .. that could very well be another LB or a DT in round 1 ... considering the age that is at those positions ...

Yea, we have incredible depth now in the secondary. Spielman continues to do an outstanding job. Here again we have a mid-career athlete who has an incredible upside, costs us practically nothing, and can do many things for us (start at safety, backup at safety, nickel corner, special teams). If he stays healthy, he will flourish in our secondary.

You're right, with Yeremiah Bell, Arturo Freeman, Shawn Wooden, and Sammy Knight we are looking real good at safety. We probably do not need to draft a safety, which makes our draft even more interesting. We can really take Best Player Available now in almost every round. Honestly, about the only must have, major need in this draft is to get a quality O-Lineman. I hope we draft Andrews or Smiley.

I was reading that article and it said that Sammy Knight might move to FS and Edwards will be the SS, whats up with that. You all dont think that we will move Knight to FS do u?

gotta be wrong on that. doesnt make sense. Arturo is a natural FS and Sammy is a natural SS, so why would they switch them?

My understanding of Jim Bates' scheme is that the two safeties are virtually interchangeable. Hence why there was talk at the start of the offseason of Freeman replacing either Marion or Knight.

I like the Edwards signing. Clearly we are well protected in the secondary in the event of injury. I think we go O-line with our first pick, perhaps WR with our next pick, and then DL and LB the rest of the way.

They were talking as if Edwards would be starting at SS.

I'd like to have the best two guys back there starting. Excellent signing and allows another year for Bell to recover and get ready to start next year. If Edwards or Freeman plays well we can re-sign them next year.

Dont have a clue....it will be crazy if we switch Knight to FS he makes the big plays while he is a SS.

We're definetly not taking a S in the draft now.

Miami last month released veteran free safety Brock Marion and Sammy Knight, the starting strong safety in 2003

That piece from the article that i copyed sound like we released Knight.....but i know we didnt cause later in the artcle it said he might be moving to FS. Kind of got worried there for a min.:chuckle:

Edwards was signed to compete with Freeman, who the team is not completely sold on at this point. Yeremiah Bell will get a shot at the free safety slot as well. I believe the team will still draft a safety, though it may not be as high a priority as it would have been had Edwards not signed.

There has been talk that the team wants to workout a contract extension with Sammy Knight. Despite his lack of range, they love his instincts and his ability to force the run from the safety spot. I don't see them letting Knight go.

i hope Knight and Surtain gets a contract extension ASAP and Chambers will get his after the draft or possibly at the end of the season.

I love Knight, but there is no way he has the speed to ever play FS.

Freeman got a two year contract I believe so we would only have to resign Edwards after this season, so that's a positive.

Back
Top Bottom