A.Edwards is now a Fin! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A.Edwards is now a Fin!

The thread title is misleading, he has agreed to terms, it does not mean he has signed...

Let's hope he does....

Originally posted by PhinDude88
I was reading that article and it said that Sammy Knight might move to FS and Edwards will be the SS, whats up with that. You all dont think that we will move Knight to FS do u?

Yeah, that makes no sense at all. Knight is definitely suited to play SS and Freeman is a FS. I have no idea why they would play Knight at FS and Freeman at SS.

moving Freeman to SS would be flat-out dumb, IMO. Hes a natural FS with the speed and cover skills to stay with WRs downfield...which is how the FS is used alot in our system. Knight is a playmaking hit machine who is better suited at stopping the run, which definately is a better fit at SS than FS (plus he has nowhere near enough speed to cover deep).

Good stuff here. This is what scouts were saying about Edwards when he was drafted in 99. Sounds like a bit of a punk a-s-s.

What the scouts are saying . . .

Tom Braatz, Miami: "He ran 4.56 on a track during his workout. He's not going to play corner. He's a safety. He's a pretty good safety, first or second round."

AFC scout: "I don't think he's a bad guy. I think he's a pain in the (expletive). I think he's arrogant. I don't know if he'd steal. I don't think he'd steal from his teammates. He rolls his collar up and walks around like he's the only guy around."

Charley Armey, St. Louis: "He'll probably wind up playing corner. Based on his workout I'd say he could play there. He is not a speed merchant. He's like (New England's) Ty Law. I've heard he's an (expletive), but we interviewed him and he didn't come over that way."

Jerry Angelo, Tampa Bay: "Ron (Wolf) might be looking at him like LeRoy Butler. If he didn't play corner, which I think he can, you might have a hell of a safety. He could be another LeRoy Butler."

AFC scout: "I don't believe he has the suddenness to play corner. I think he can be a top-notch safety but he'll be an average corner. He has all the athletic ability in the world. He has change of direction and he's very, very smooth. He's a lot like Craig Newsome. Just not a burner. I don't think he was very tough at all.

NFC scout: "With his speed you'll have to move him inside. He's an (expletive) but he's not a bad guy. He's a con artist. I don't think he has the skills to be a corner and he's not tough or physical enough to be a safety. He sure looks the part. His workout was a big, big disappointment."

AFC scout: "He's a potential first-rounder. Shaky character. When you commit to three schools out of high school . . . his mother passed away last year and he's matured some. I get the feeling he's probably a little difficult."

Bill Polian, Indianapolis: "He's a good player but he's had some injury problems. I don't think he can (play corner) but a good number of teams do. I don't think he's a character risk."

Jon Kingdon, Oakland: "He didn't run very well. That bothered people. Everyone thought he could run like a cornerback. He hasn't."

NFC scout: "I don't like him as a kid, really. I don't think he's a criminal. He's a big corner. He's not anywhere in the league of (Chris) McAlister. I know he will go pretty high. He's not our type of guy."

NFC scout: "He can do everything. Just an (expletive). He'll go high. I don't know how much of a team guy he is. He's a little bit of a me guy."

NFC scout: "He's our sixth corner."

John Dorsey, Seattle: "From a size standpoint he's really a good athlete. He's competitive. He can return. I don't know if he's fast enough to be a corner.

AFC scout: "The turf toe could explain the time but you don't see great speed. He runs as well as Newsome did."

-- Bob McGinn

Edwards at a glance

Hard-hitting pass defender with explosive speed...Excellent leaper who shows superb ball anticipation skills...Plays the receivers very tight & is known for his punishing shots at the line of scrimmage that consistently jams up his man...Plants & cuts quickly coming out of his backpedal & takes proper angles in pursuit...Patiently waits for his blocks to develop & then turns on the afterburners to blaze past opponents on returns... Recently timed at 4.34 in the 40-yard dash ...Has experience at every position in the secondary...Ranks third on the school’s career-record list with 35 pass deflections...Established a Clemson all-time record for yards gained on takeaways (fumble returns & interception returns) with 299 yards, topping the previous mark of 275 by Rex Varn (1976-79).

Last edited by a moderator:
"Miami last month released veteran free safety Brock Marion and Sammy Knight, the starting strong safety in 2003

That piece from the article that i copyed sound like we released Knight.....but i know we didnt cause later in the artcle it said he might be moving to FS. Kind of got worried there for a min."

LOL i did the same thing... i have done a double take a time or two when they say a front office person or coach has "re-signed." by way of explanation: a web page article or espn ticker occassionally will not include the hyphen in the word "re-sign." when the hyphen is not included the word "resign" makes one think at first glance that the coach or manager in question has quit instead of signing n new deal or an extension.

Knight is not moving to FS. No way, no how. Len Pastabelly was probably eating when he wrote that article, as usual. It was an error.

for the price paid this was a great signing. now we only draft a safety on first day if its just too good to pass up. looking more and more like ol, dt or lb on first day picks.

Russ Lande on Antwan Edwards:

Antwan is the type of cornerback that jumps out at you because Clemson plays a lot of "Off" coverage, so you get to see Antwan close and break up a lot of passes. He has the size I love in a cornerback that enables him to cover big receivers as well as short one's. He has very good instincts and really closes explosively on the ball - He breaks up passes very well and can make the big hit in the right situation. He has very good ball awareness and maintains very good body position which enables him to keep the receiver completely away from the ball at times. While Antwan does not have the blazing 4.40 speed that everyone loves, he does have good playing speed to go with very good instincts, a quick closing burst and very good ball awareness. Overall, Antwan is a very good athlete who can start at either cornerback or safety in the NFL. But I believe he ahs the talent to be a good cornerback which I consider more important than a good safety, so I would make him a cornerback. I really do not know where he will be drafted compared to where I rate him, but I am confident he will be a rock solid starting cornerback in the NFL. **An added bonus is that he can contribute on special teams from day one.

Lande had him rated as the 4th best cornerback prospect in the 1999 draft. Behind only Chris McAlister, Antoine Winfield, and Champ Bailey.

Originally posted by CharlestonPhan
"

LOL i did the same thing... i have done a double take a time or two when they say a front office person or coach has "re-signed." by way of explanation: a web page article or espn ticker occassionally will not include the hyphen in the word "re-sign." when the hyphen is not included the word "resign" makes one think at first glance that the coach or manager in question has quit instead of signing n new deal or an extension.

What, Wanny resigned?
:lol:

Regarless of who starts at either safety, this is a good move. Rick's doen a great job imo and whatever he does with the draft I'llbuy into it.

Ozzy rules!!

Hopfully he will do better in our system. He has some nice raw skills....should be fun to watch him compete.

Back
Top Bottom