A Few Prospects Being Unfairly Pigeon-Holed... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Few Prospects Being Unfairly Pigeon-Holed...

insomnia411

The world is yours
Reaction score
1. "Ryan Swope and Tavon Austin can only play in the slot"

Why? Both were extremely productive college players that have ridiculous physical tools and upside that legitimize their NCAA production. I think Tavon Austin can be the next Steve Smith, and Ryan Swope can most certainly end up being a productive starting receiver in this league.

2. "Margus Hunt needs to play 3-4 end."

Really? The guy has absolutely all of the athletic freakishness of a Mario Williams or a JJ Watt. Sure he's extremely raw, but so is Ansah and he might go top 5. I think Hunt can be a beast as a 4-3 end if he's coached up properly.

These are just a few guys i like a lot who I feel are being somewhat disrespected as prospects. Thoughts?

I very much agree that Swope can play the boundary. The kid is a great rout runner and obviously (4.34 4o at combine) has enough speed as well. With that said, there is no doubt that his BEST position is the slot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure Swope can play on the boundry... but you will limit him massively.

The guy plays the slot like a QB, its where he thrives. In the slot he uses his brains and elite route running to get open and make plays. In the slot he can use his stregth and speed to gain yac. With some polish he COULD (with hard work and good coaching) be an elite slot reciever he might even be Welker 2.0... thats how smart a player this kid is. Swopes fast and tough but its his brain that makes him so effective.

On the boundry he is just another "meh" number three WR who will make plays at the next level but will never star.

Dont get carried away by combine hype, the kid has stellar tape. Follw that not his 40.

Sure Swope can play on the boundry... but you will limit him massively.

The guy plays the slot like a QB, its where he thrives. In the slot he uses his brains and elite route running to get open and make plays. In the slot he can use his stregth and speed to gain yac. With some polish he COULD (with hard work and good coaching) be an elite slot reciever he might even be Welker 2.0... thats how smart a player this kid is. Swopes fast and tough but its his brain that makes him so effective.

On the boundry he is just another "meh" number three WR who will make plays at the next level but will never star.

Dont get carried away by combine hype, the kid has stellar tape. Follw that not his 40.

Lol this kid is lucky to make the special teams! He a body catcher, so don't compare Swope to Welker there not even in the same zip code!

Lol this kid is lucky to make the special teams! He a body catcher, so don't compare Swope to Welker there not even in the same zip code!

:rolleyes: so youv never actually watched him? Thanks for making that clear.

That would be Welker the undrafted free agent? Destinted for a career of punt returns and special teams?

Austin may have moved into the top 20 when you consider his production and speed. He may end up being that 100 catch a year guy that defenses just can't find a way to match up with.

Yes! keep pushing Swope as just a slot guy!!!

Spread it all over Manhattan!

Walker Isn't a body catcher! Get off of Swope jock. He's a late round pick 5-7 rounder.
What are you watching? 5-7? 4.3 speed marked as an excellent route runner with good hands, not scared to go over the middle and can break some tackles. Those are FACTS on tape, how does that translate to rounds 5-7 in your brain. Even if he IS a body catcher, as you say, he was Tanny's #1 target at A&M so he must know how to put it on the body really well, which is another plus. I don't understand your reasoning here.

Margus is not projecting to be a 4-3 end because of leverage issues. I think he can do it, but he obviously has to master his craft. This is the difference between good and elite:

hires6702518_display_image-1.jpg
93074679_display_image-1.jpg

1. "Ryan Swope and Tavon Austin can only play in the slot"

Why? Both were extremely productive college players that have ridiculous physical tools and upside that legitimize their NCAA production. I think Tavon Austin can be the next Steve Smith, and Ryan Swope can most certainly end up being a productive starting receiver in this league.

2. "Margus Hunt needs to play 3-4 end."

Really? The guy has absolutely all of the athletic freakishness of a Mario Williams or a JJ Watt. Sure he's extremely raw, but so is Ansah and he might go top 5. I think Hunt can be a beast as a 4-3 end if he's coached up properly.

These are just a few guys i like a lot who I feel are being somewhat disrespected as prospects. Thoughts?

You do understand that both Mario spent time at 3-4 DE and JJ Watt is currently a 3-4 DE . . . . I don't see what the problem is there. I think Hunt is too light to play 3-4 DE. It's going to be interesting to see where he fits in the NFL . . . my guess is as a 3-4 OLB.

hunt as a 34 olb...wtf

Man at that height/weight and his speed . . . I figured the elephant in a 3-4 could suit him. You think he's 3-4 DE all the way? I missed him in the drills . . . did he participate at all? I saw 4.6 and assumed he'd atleast try.

**edit** ahh he plays 3-4 DE in SMU's defense . . . goes to show you about making a comment about a guy that you've barely paid attention based off paper.

He seems to tall for a 4-3 DE. not sure how having his hand in the dirt is going to suit him full time. He's interesting but I guess if he adds some weight he'd be a pretty damn solid 5 tech in the NFL.

he's not stout enough at the poa to be a 34 de...loses leverage battles and gets moved out too much...definitely not a 34 olb though...not at 6 ft 8 almost and 277 lbs...not fluid enough in space...tight hipped...pretty straight linish...he's a 43 de that shifts inside in the nickle off everything that i see on the field

that get off i saw on his tape translated with that very fast for his size 10 yard split time...

Austin can also play RB on third Down and can score on punt returns. another Percy harvin type who was draft in the first round...i think #22 in previous draft. thats where I see Austin going 20-25 pick. He would easily replace Bush and Bess and maybe hartline with one pick.

Back
Top Bottom