A Few Tidbits from PFT...Pats/Texans vying for top picks, Damien Woody, Jeff Diamond | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Few Tidbits from PFT...Pats/Texans vying for top picks, Damien Woody, Jeff Diamond

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll paraphrase because then I'd be quoting a whole lot of PFT.

Anyway it appears USC Head Coach Pete Carroll wants back into the NFL. But since we have our DC and HC jobs filled, thats not that interesting.

More importantly to us, is the Texans are salivating over Hurricane safety Sean Taylor. The problem? They are stuck at #10 and Taylor would likely not be there when they select. Soooo they may be trying to swing a deal with the Redskins at the #5 spot because it is unlikely that the Chargers, Raiders, Cardinals, or Giants would select Jones. This affects Miami how? Well, depending on which team they target to move up, Drew Henson could well be involved in that trade...

Now here's a real kicker. The Patriots, with picks #21 and #32 in the first round, and two late 2nd rounders to boot, may be looking to trade up with Washington as well at #5, or maybe even higher at #1 or #2. The reason? Larry Fitzgerald. They want him bad, and with all the draft picks they have, they figure they should go for a big time superstud instead of a bunch of smaller guys. Hmm...seems to be a departure from the norm for the Patsies....

PFT speculates that when all is said and done in Miami, Jeff Diamond may be our new Senior VP of football operations. So says PFT he's the only guy they can think of with lots of football knowledge and qualifications for the job. He got NFL executive of the year for his work with the Vikings in 98 holding together a bevy of veterans that ended up 15-1 in the regular season that year setting a record for the most points scored in a season ever. Then he got in a pissing match with Denny Green and Green pulled weight had the dude fired. He went to the Titans and did decent work there, but his contract was renewed in the wake of a cap mess that got created in Tennessee and a sponsorless stadium in Nashville. Doesn't sound all that great, but he'd certainly know what he's doing a lot more than Dan would have...plus we got Widmeier to be the cap guy, Jones to be the President, Spielman in charge of GM, and Wanny in charge of coaching and coaching assistants. Gotta wonder once again what exactly this Sr. VP job entails, but whatever it is you can bet Diamond is qualified.

Next, I was gonna come out with this days ago but Damien Woody in the wake of the Super Bowl win has said he wants to stay with the Patriots and will do just about anything to stay with them...including taking a pay cut. Yowch, I know some of you out there will be a little bummed, cuz I've seen half a dozen of you say we should go after Woody. Too bad. Not gonna happen I guess.

One thing to keep in mind is that if the Patriots do indeed use both firsts to move up, then whichever team they trade to might try and turn around and use the 21st pick (I believe NFL rules would require it to be the 21st pick, not the 32nd pick) to trade for Adewale Ogunleye. This brings a few more teams heretofore ignored into the Ogun spree. I think the Chargers for one could use a LDE, so could the Raiders or probably even the Cardinals. God knows another RFA would be right up Snyder's alley, and I think the Redskins may need a good DE.

Thanks for a nice update...funny how you mentioned the Raiders...now that Norv is the HC in Oakland...he knows what Ogun could really do...I wonder if he does try and trade for him...but his on offensive guy so I doubt it but you never know!!!

Back
Top Bottom