A good evaluation of the Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A good evaluation of the Dolphins

tofishfan

Starter
Reaction score
Up here in chilly Toronto we have a pretty good all sport radio station.

I just heard some good analysis of the fish from Chris Shultz, some of you may know him from his days with Dallas. He now does alot of football work and I respect his opinion.

When asked how he rates the Dolphins he points to these areas:

* Key loses to Houston and NE at home
* A very weak offensive line with a rookie left tackle
* That rookie may have cost them two games - colts & NE (away)

So, two close loses at home - otherwise 12-4

When asked about Wanny:

Not a top 5 coach but not in the bottom 15, has a system and a runner.

Jay:

Good but not great, but it is proven that you don't need great to win it all.

Summary:

The NFL is all about one good season. No reason for the Phins to blow it up.

So gang, nothing that new but when you put it all togther it seems to fit.

Thoughts?

when you have a " good but not great QB" and a " not top 5 but not bottom fifteen" coach I think it would increase our chances to go to the big game if one or both were upgraded. Wanny isnt leaving, so Jay has to go!

I think he's gone, he said he will play for another team as a starter before he would be our back up

He won't be our back up, he's said it now countless times. Not sure why it keeps getting mentioned here. The only way he'd back up is going into training camp against a FA with both having a legit shot to be the starter and Jay loses it. I don't think we'd get a FA QB to compete for the starting job. We'd get a QB to be the starter, to be the guy to take us to the playoffs and beyond. That means Jay is gone.

And I want Sage as the #2.

So does that mean they just release him? What about the cap?

Is it really his choice?

I agree with you about getting a FA QB - Brunell seems to be the choice of the boards.

Originally posted by bigmiamifan
He won't be our back up, he's said it now countless times. Not sure why it keeps getting mentioned here. The only way he'd back up is going into training camp against a FA with both having a legit shot to be the starter and Jay loses it.

You just contradicted yourself in the span of 3 sentences.

Whether you believe it or not, every position is completed for every year. A FA QB would have to compete just like everyone else.

Jay's position is that he will put up a fight to be the starter. I wouldn't want a QB on my team to have any other mentality.

The issue with Jay is the roster bonus. The team will not want to pay him starter money unless he is the starter. They won't know if he will start until long after the roster bonus is due.

My guess is that they will restructure (if he stays) and that it will have a large number of incentives (in case he wins the starting job).

dont you think jay would take restructuring as a sign that he will not be the starter?

I truly believe that Greise was brought in to provide competition for a starting job, if not for 2003--then 2004. If we were looking strictly for a back-up, then why not sign a Neil O'Donnell? Brian obviously proved that he isn't an option, unless his toe injury was much more significant than the team let on.
Consider this: We re-sign Greise cheap (is anybody likely to sign him to a big contract at this point?), restructure Jay, also cheaply, and they fight it out for the starting job. PLEASE, do not misunderstand my thought. I am not in support of this argument in favor of new blood. I simply think it is a plausible scenario, especially in light of the apparent lack of sure bets out there, as well as the teams penchant for seeking "continuity".

Originally posted by stork48
dont you think jay would take restructuring as a sign that he will not be the starter?

No. Its a sign that he will need to compete. If the contract contains the proper incentives, he makes starter money if he starts.

Originally posted by FinfanInBuffalo

You just contradicted yourself in the span of 3 sentences.

Whether you believe it or not, every position is completed for every year. A FA QB would have to compete just like everyone else.

Jay's position is that he will put up a fight to be the starter. I wouldn't want a QB on my team to have any other mentality.

The issue with Jay is the roster bonus. The team will not want to pay him starter money unless he is the starter. They won't know if he will start until long after the roster bonus is due.

My guess is that they will restructure (if he stays) and that it will have a large number of incentives (in case he wins the starting job).

How did I contradict myself? Maybe you didn't read it thoroughly. He won't go into next year as a back up. Loosing the job in training camp and BECOMING the back up is completely different then going into training camp AS the back up.

Jay is gone.

Originally posted by bigmiamifan

How did I contradict myself? Maybe you didn't read it thoroughly. He won't go into next year as a back up. Loosing the job in training camp and BECOMING the back up is completely different then going into training camp AS the back up.

Jay is gone.

Maybe you didn't write it thoroughly....

Where exactly did you write that " He won't go into next year as a back up."

Your exact words were... "He won't be our back up, he's said it now countless times."

Last time I checked he was still under contract.

Originally posted by tofishfan
I have been huge Jay fan since Day 1 but agree.
With a pay cut he looks great as a backup.

well, it sounds to me like jay wont be no backup. im just gonna wait for reality to set into his head. we are going to have to cut him. I like jay, but he had 4 years here. He has proven who he is.

I just heard some good analysis of the fish from Chris Shultz, some of you may know him from his days with Dallas. He now does alot of football work and I respect his opinion.

When asked about Wanny:

Jay:

Summary:

Thoughts?

there is no doubt we need to build our Oline first, after we get our QB of course:D but come game time, we need to go two TE and block the patriots and run right at them with fierce reckless abandon. We need to put Wade Smith in the weight room. We need to get jamie Nails to lose a few more pounds and get another G and specifically a RT.

When asked about Wanny:

Jay:

Summary:

Thoughts?

Good analysis. People don't think about how small the differences are between teams. The Fins lost two winnable games at home. The Pats got lucky against the Fins and squeaked by the Browns. If they lose those two and Miami wins those two, they end up tied for the division.

I'm not saying that the Pats don't deserve the first overall seed. I just agree that the Fins don't need sweeping changes.

Back
Top Bottom