A Letter to Dave Wannstedt | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Letter to Dave Wannstedt

this L is NOT jay fiedler´s fault, i don´t get it, he didn´t missed 2 FG at the end of regulation and OT , he wasn´t the guy who called for the FG on 3rd down, yes he was the guy who stole 2 punt attempts from turk, but this L , is all on the highest paid kicker in the league

This is not a Fiedler bash or a "bring back lucas" post.

Jay Fiedler is a Good QB. He can pass short balls with the best of them. He however does not have an arm to throw long balls. Long balls are what free up the short game so that we can get short slants, screens, and most of all a running game going. I am not saying that Griese is the answer to everyones prayers. I dont know the answer.

I'm also not saying that Fiedler should be cut/traded. He would probably make a great backup. I am saying however that Fiedler is not the QB to lead OUR team.

Thank you for posting your letter for us all to see and comment on.

This is just beating a dead horse. How many people would be still bashing Jay if Mare would have hit the FGs?? I'll be the first to admit Jays deep ball leaves a lot to be desired.....ok I'll go a step further, IT SUCKS !!!! But how many times did Jay have the time Brady did on the last play of the game?? NOT ONCE. Not one time. Jay is running for his life. I can tell ya this, if we had Manning, or Vick, or ANY superstar QB they would not do any better behind this OL. Football is a team sport, and Jay is a team player. Ricky is not getting big numbers this year, lets put in Minor to see if it is Ricky's fault. DUH !!!
I do think Norv could call more waggles and misdirection play action to see if he could give him more time, but the recievers are dropping a lot of balls as well. Playing "D" vs the fins is too easy right now. They know we can't go deep and they are just stopping the short stuff.
I don't know what the answer is but it is not BG. He is just a slow Jay, who also has been known for having a bad deep ball, and that was when he played behind a good OL. If ya want a change try Sage but the bottom line is we are stuck with Jay. Contrary to popular belief, that is not so horrible. No one is just gonna GIVE us Farve. To get someone better we would have to give up everything.
Can we talk about something else for awhile?? Like why our big $ pass "D" is ranked like 27th. Or like why a team built to play "D" first can't stop anyone when they need to??......PLEASE !!!!

38, Manning wouldn't do better. IMO he would and that's as nice as I know how to put it. You're so wrong it's absurd.

Fiedler sucks is 100% correct!! He needs to GO!!!, We need to change our attitude. We should not play just for "the opportunity for the win with a field goal". That blows! We don't need field goals, we need TOUCHDOWNS! We should have blown those Pats out of the water!

I do not think that just saying that Jay sucks is going to accomplish anything. I, like many here I'm sure, am on the fence about Jay... it seems that every time I am ready to write Jay off, he as a "good game" which is rather frustrating. While I do not hate Jay, nor love him for that matter, I find that being on the fence about your most vital postion on the offense is not the most desireable of situations. I will not bother with stats... stats do lie in a sense, as they can be manipulated to support any statement that could possibly be made about Jay. Instead I base my opinion that Jay should be benched on the fact that he has only showed me enough ability to have me riding the fence. Would Griese or Sage do a better job? I don't know, neither do you... But, are we already relying completely on the D to win games for us? Yes. What is the harm in benching Fiedler? Will we loose that game-winning drive that the QB is providing us? Um... what game-winning drive? Blame Mare all you want... if we had a QB that could win games for us... we wouldn't need to wing it on Mare's foot. As good as our D is, we can't rely on them as heavily as we have. They gave us 10 of 13 points... 14 if the offense could have executed. If we put Griese in... maybe opposing D's will honor our passing game, and lead to better o-line play (both pass and run). All in all, I know what I'm getting with Jay, and I'm not sure it is enough to get the job done... Change needs to occur on this Offense... and I think the position that we have the best depth at is QB, so why not start there. If our backups stink up the joint, it shouldn't be any different for the D to have to win the game for us, now should it? Okay... I'm done ranting. Honest.

Originally posted by phinphanphrommi
I do not think that just saying that Jay sucks is going to accomplish anything. I, like many here I'm sure, am on the fence about Jay... it seems that every time I am ready to write Jay off, he as a "good game" which is rather frustrating. While I do not hate Jay, nor love him for that matter, I find that being on the fence about your most vital postion on the offense is not the most desireable of situations. I will not bother with stats... stats do lie in a sense, as they can be manipulated to support any statement that could possibly be made about Jay. Instead I base my opinion that Jay should be benched on the fact that he has only showed me enough ability to have me riding the fence. Would Griese or Sage do a better job? I don't know, neither do you... But, are we already relying completely on the D to win games for us? Yes. What is the harm in benching Fiedler? Will we loose that game-winning drive that the QB is providing us? Um... what game-winning drive? Blame Mare all you want... if we had a QB that could win games for us... we wouldn't need to wing it on Mare's foot. As good as our D is, we can't rely on them as heavily as we have. They gave us 10 of 13 points... 14 if the offense could have executed. If we put Griese in... maybe opposing D's will honor our passing game, and lead to better o-line play (both pass and run). All in all, I know what I'm getting with Jay, and I'm not sure it is enough to get the job done... Change needs to occur on this Offense... and I think the position that we have the best depth at is QB, so why not start there. If our backups stink up the joint, it shouldn't be any different for the D to have to win the game for us, now should it? Okay... I'm done ranting. Honest.

You just said it buddy. I don't have a hate on for Fiedler either, I'd just like to see what either Griese or Rosenfels has to offer this offense. Like you, I'm tired of ryling on our D. And with a running back like Ricky and decent to good receivers, any NFL QB should post fairly impresiive numbers in this offense. Fiedler, clearly and I mean CLEARLY is not in 03'.

BTW folks, this is not a letter I sent ot Dave Wannstedt. It's a spoof on how a fan has finally seen enough of the valiant efforts of a mediocre QB. Just wanted to clear that up for those of you who didn't know that.

It's been pointed out that Mare lost the game, not Fiedler. However, it shouldn't have had to come down to a FG for the win. We played a Pats teams missing SEVEN of it's defensive starters, yet they were so unafraid of our passing game that they stacked the line against Ricky. Almost every handoff to Ricky, his first juke was to avoid a tackler already in the backfield. You think if Jay could stretch the field a little they'd be gangbusting after Ricky like that? No one - repeat - NO ONE fears our passing attack. Until they do, this offense will score few points and the defense will have to keep us in games. Eventually, there will be grumbling and team chemistry will collapse also.

The past three games Jay has either overthrown wide open receivers on deep balls or underthrew so badly that they were picked off. There was one crossing pattern this week to McMichael that if Jay delivered the ball correctly was a TD, but he threw behind him and Randy had to slow to make the catch and it only became a medium range gain.

I don't hate Fiedler, but let's be realistic. We haven't faced any defense that's scary yet, and we aren't putting up any points. What happens when a good D rolls into town? Something needs to be done to shake this offense out of it's funk. Since you can't replace the entire o-line, Fiedler is the obvious choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate to say this but our passing attack...

...isn't all about Jay. On Sunday our man CC84 hung the ball out like a flag to try to break the plane of the 1st down mark and I thought "hang on that's dangerous". But he did it again and again. He got the ball knocked out on the third occasion. We gave up three as a result.

Jay's not a miraculous performer, but he sure isn't all that's wrong with this offense.

Bought the Marino "Heart of a champion" Video while I was at the game and his highlights are awesome. He could throw a deep ball. Lot of time when he did there was space between the receiver and the db for the ball to fall in stride. Jay's not seeing that a lot from his receivers.

If this offense could play as a unit it could be pretty good. Even with Jay at the helm.

Back
Top Bottom