a must read on jake long | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

a must read on jake long

Not with the first pick. Would love to get him with #32, but he will probably go in the late first. Maybe if we made a trade somehow we could get him and Jake. =)

That would be nice. It would be like Webb and Sims again on the left side.
Sign'em and not have to think about it for 10 years.

again, with all due respect, I just don't understand how anyone can say he won't be good against a certain type of rusher, when he dominated everyone he went up against. even Gholston only beat him for a sack once in four years. you say he didn't face very many speed rushers, well, none of the others ever beat him besides Gholston. if you actually do look his every down play, you will see him destroy everyone he faces on pretty much every play.
what specifically do you see in his technique that means he can't handle speed? when he is only beaten twice in his career, it seems nothing worked with any consistency; speed, strength, stunts, etc. even with the slow-footed, slow-reacting Henne, no one had much success.
now if every speed rusher beat him at least once, and Gholston had a few sacks in the hundred or so plays they faced each other, I might agree. it's like when people say the '72 Dolphins weren't as good as other SB teams- if they beat everyone they faced, what else can you say?
as for him not being worth the #1 pick, remember this team is going to run the ball as much as(if not more than) anyone. plus the fact that we need a tackle in the worst way and you don't find franchise LT's any other way than the draft, I think it all adds up to Jake Long being worth it to this team. I won't be heartbroken if Chris Long is the pick, but looking at the present state of the front seven and the o-line, I believe Jake a better choice.

There are obvious holes in your logic. All those players were taken with little question as to their ability to play LT at that point. Jake comes into the draft already being questioned as a LT. I am not saying he won't go to the pro bowl as a RT starter there for the next 15 years and I hope he does, but you don't spent that kind of money on a RT if your QB of the future is not left handed ;) There is film all over the Internet of him not being able to handle speed rushers so he is not a Godsend at LT. He is a beast for sure and the best RT in the draft and potential to be a LT in the NFL, but until he can show that he can handle elite speed, his NFL qb will have to see it coming and that would put him as a RT.

what are you talking about???:rolleyes2:

Jake Long played RT and LT for 2 years each during his 4 year career in Michigan.And do you know how many sacks he gave up???

ONLY 2..........

one on each side...look it up

so,as far as wha you said(i bolded it),there is only one video of that,and that was Vernon Gholston,but hey,Gholston aint no scrub,so you know letting a player like Gholston get a sack on ya is hard to prevent,and it only happened once.

And how do you know he is ONLY qualified for RT??????

Mike Mayock,Mel Kiper Jr,and even Todd McShay say that he is gonig to be a stud LT in this league for many years to come...hell,in an interview Jake even said,and I quote,"I think I can handle it"....enough said!

That's a good post and I agree with a lot of it, but wasn't Mike Williams a bust?

Jake or Chris i can tell you this much its going to be a LONG process to try and figure who we pick at #1

I am all for us pulling the trigger on either Long or any other good player that fits our need. However, I might break my t.v. set if we draft Ryan..

I think if we draft Ryan there will be a major rush to CVS for razor blades...

come on lateagain that was pretty good

Absolutely! It was a clever play on words. I generally hold a high regard for people with that skill. That's why I threw one back at you. I was kind of disappointed that you missed it, though.

it all comes down to impact
olb has pash rushing impact, something that was totaly absent in our team last year
but if u arent going qb (which we are not) we are saying that beck (or mccown) is our man. u have a young talented recieving core with high potential, you have some of the best rbs in the leauge, so what kinda position will help the entire offensive unit out- an olineman. jake is a lt, he CAN do it, movey carey over to rt, for smiley at gaurd, the other gaurd (mabey hartwig, rumored to sign) mabye rachal in the 3rd but that is a very solid line that can realy let us see what we have in a qb and realy help our team strive. im not dumb and say chris long is gunna suck, because i feel he will be solid at the least but on this team y have one defensive stud when you can help solidify the whole line. just look at fa this year pace was there, but what about franchise lineman, none that were in their prime, in other words a pass rushing olb (which is what long will be in our 3-4) is a lot easier to get (latter rounds, fa) than a franchise lt.

Excellent post/thread. Well supported and makes a load of sense. Thanks for putting in the effort.

However, I just don't see Jake as a sure bet at LT and would rather trade down, THEN take either him or Otah or Clady. I totally agree we MUST take a solid LT in this year's draft. Unfortunately there seems to be too much of a question mark about Jake at the LT position.

Excellent post/thread. Well supported and makes a load of sense. Thanks for putting in the effort.

However, I just don't see Jake as a sure bet at LT and would rather trade down, THEN take either him or Otah or Clady. I totally agree we MUST take a solid LT in this year's draft. Unfortunately there seems to be too much of a question mark about Jake at the LT position.

Who's question mark? And find me a sure bet LT...in this or any other draft. Even the best LT's don't play perfect every game...there's not been one that has played the game, that never gave up a sack....usually they are either great at pass protection or run blocking...it's rare to find one that great at both.

Back
Top Bottom