A new GM | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A new GM

Bling

tehMick PWNS my life
Reaction score
I know this won't happen, but why do we keep Speilman? He got Ricky...a no brainer. He got Knight and Seau, ok. How many times did he get a quality WR for us? How about QB?

The trade with Dallas for Chambers when New Orleans was on the phone trying to trade up for him as well.

Same month, they were within 30 seconds have getting Matt Hasselbeck for our #1 pick (which became Jamar Fletcher). GB said the deal with Seattle consumated literally 30 seconds before ours did. Mike Holmgren's ties to Green Bay also played a role. Still, Miami thought they had him.

There's your QB and WR. :tongue:

Lots of good picks and FA moves. Just look at the roster and see which players came after 1999. Wally Ogunleye is one that sticks out in my mind.

I agree with Muck. Speilman has not been the problem. I don't even think Wanny is the whole problem. Look at this way, we could be stuck with Donahoe, great mind but no spine. Plus we may Gregg Williams as our coach now!:) Donahoe, I feel is living off his past rep. I think Tom Mordrak (sp?) helped make him. Thoughts?

Originally posted by Jammer13
I agree with Muck. Speilman has not been the problem. I don't even think Wanny is the whole problem. Look at this way, we could be stuck with Donahoe, great mind but no spine. Plus we may Gregg Williams as our coach now!:) Donahoe, I feel is living off his past rep. I think Tom Mordrak (sp?) helped make him. Thoughts?
:confused: gregg williams as our coach now??:confused:

That's a very good point. Modrak has worked for Donahoe wherever Donahoe has gone.

Donahoe was offered the job down here when Jimmy left. It was his to have. But Tom stayed in retirement. He didn't want to uproot his family. I guess we lucked out, as he has made somewhat of a mess in Buffalo.

Now if we were to get rid of Speilman (a mistake if it came to that) i would think Modrak would be a leading candidate. One other point, If we are cleaning house then I hope we keep some of our defensive coaches (except Bates) they are no the problem either.

clear.gif

Getting rid of Speilman would be dumb. He has done a great job for us. The last thing we need to do is to replace Speilman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by iceblizzard69
clear.gif

I agree. Don't know how much of a "no-brainer" Ricky Williams was. He had his problems.

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

I agree. Don't know how much of a "no-brainer" Ricky Williams was. He had his problems.

Agree. And the physical knocks were that he was injury-prone, slow, and couldn't break the long one. He weighed 252 lbs. Remember all that talk of "he won't go long, but he'll get you 4 yards everytime" when we made the trade?? Remember how a large faction of our fans still thought that Ricky was a headcase??

Well Ricky turned out to be better than anyone could have hoped. He took every defense....and analyst....by surpise with his newfound "5th gear", his newfound quicks, and his outstanding vision. He stayed healthy for all 430 touches that counted (383, 47). He got stronger as the year went on, finishing with 185 yards. And just as importantly, he whipped his disorder and became a great human being again.

It took faith, guts, and foresight on Miami's part to make this deal. Remember Wanny gauranteeing that Ricky would break the team rushing record on ESPN?? Nobody thought he'd annihilate it.

And it's worth mentioning that Wannstedt was largely involved in it happening (he initiated the contact at the Houston airport).

Plus, how many teams have seven pro bowlers on their roster? Not to mention finding diomands in the rough like O-gun, and second round steals liek Chambers. Personnel definitely isnt the problem here.

The only thing that I question about Speilman is his overzealousness to trade away draft picks. I understand the Ricky trade, but trading away this years second round pick for last yrs third rounder was short sighted - especially given the fact that last yrs draft was weak, while this years crop of players is very promising.

Sill, in terms of evaluating talent, I trust Spielmans eye for the game.

I'm with you on Spielman, I think he should be given a shot as GM- but to say this is the worst topic ever is a little harsh. You could certainly argue against some of his moves, like drafting a guy in the 1st (Fletcher) who doesn't fit your scheme, as well as the already mentioned trades of future draft picks. That will come back to haunt this team, I think, if it isn't now. Now this year without a 2nd rounder we have virtually no ammo to move up in the first round if we want.
And as far as finding a QB, he did go get Griese(whom a lot of people on this board thought should replace Fiedler)...but really, finding a QB isn't like finding a safety. Good QB's just don't become available that often.

I'd hate to think where we'd be right now if RS hadn't traded away this year's second round pick.....it's not like we LOST the pick...we just used it a year early......Now, with this year's second round pick we get a player with one year of NFL starting experience under his belt....I can't see how that was a bad move besides trading it to NE???

Back
Top Bottom