A primer for the Pistons / Heat series. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A primer for the Pistons / Heat series.

Section126

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
What to expect:

1. Ben Wallace will foul every time he gets a block shot as he always seems to fall all over his opponent.

2. Shaq will get called for many offensive fouls.

3. Wade will not get the calls he gets against everybody else.

4. Larry Brown will cry about the officials.

5. Stan Van Gundy will cry about the officials.

6. Rasheed Wallace will jack up a ton of threes in one game and make none.

7. All the games will be close until the Pistons have their drought and the Heat will expand leads or take leads.

8. Udonis Haslem will outplay Rasheed Wallace for most of the series....again.

9. Ben Wallace will have a 2 point game.

10. Chauncey Billups will carry Detroit to make it competitive.

Heat in 5.

Most likely outcome:

Heat in 6.

It is a shame though that the Refs will not allow the Heat to sweep the defending world chumps.

Section you gotta give the defending champs some credit...this is gonna be a hard-fought series.....to add to your primer, news fresh from the TICKET today was that the big aristotle practiced today. This is what I see happening...

1. Rip Hamilton is gonna torch the HEAT
2. D-Wade is gonna torch the Pistons
3. 'Sheed is gonna take advantage of the 4-spot with his athleticism, being able to shoot from the outside, taking away the inside prescence of Zo (who may be playing the PF with Shaq at the same time this series) or forcing a slower Udonis Haslem to come outside and defend.
4. Damon Jones will have a mediocre series and play his usual bad defense
5. Ben Wallace is gonna do jack offensively, even though his game has improved
6. A 60% shaq will still get at least double-figures on the pistons
7. Zo will alter shots, but wont be an offensive threat
8. If Shaq can play this series and play somewhat effectively, it's gonna come down to one player and one only to determine if we go to the finals....Eddie Jones.
9. Officiating is going to be called equally...equally bad.
10. Who is gonna guard Tayshaun Prince? Eddie Jones will be defending Rip Hamilton in my opinion...Chauncey billups will probably be guarded by Wade....Damon Jones is gonna get posted up and destroyed if he is guarding Prince. Look for a lot more of Shandan Anderson and Keyon Dooling to play starter-type minutes, even though they wont be on the floor at tip-off.

It's gonna be up to sophomore Dwyane Wade to carry this team yet again.

I'm a homer so I would say HEAT in 7, but truthfully...you might as well flip a coin...too many intangibles ranging from shaq's health to the inconsistency of the Pistons offense in these playoffs.

I think the Heat are going down. Doesn't matter how many points Shaq scores, the Pistons got his number!

They have his number? Did you research the games that the heat and pistons played each other?

Do you remember the NBA finals...the Pistons had the LAKERS number.....

Here are the results for this season's head-to-head matchups...

In the first meeting at the Palace, the HEAT lost 78-77, and that was back on November 26th....

The second meeting on December 30th, the HEAT won 89-78

The third and final meeting, the HEAT lost 80-72 on April 10th....Wade got into foul trouble and fouled out....

So, if you look, the Pistons took 2 of 3...but if you look further into it, you'll notice that the final game shaq DID NOT PLAY...and the HEat still came back and closed it to four (I actually was able to watch that game)...

IF you think the Heat will get dominated with a slightly-above mediocre Shaq, you're delirious...like it or not, the Pistons are playing a much tougher Shaq-led team than the Lakers were last night...and dont give me the riff-raff that there was a lot more star power on that team. When you can't get guys on the same page (as the Lakers couldnt...very disgruntled and chaotic....and I thought the Zenmaster was great and handling this kind of stuff....), they are mediocre themselves...2005 Heat>2004 Lakers

My point? The season series where the pistons took 2 of 3 is basically irrelevant if the Diesel can give it a go and have a better playoffs than he did in the past two serieses....as tough as that sounds, its still possible with how bad he played in the last two rounds....

I refuse to say anything about this series until we know how healthy Shaquille O'Neal really is. If he's gonna be at 50-70%, I'll say Heat or Pistons in 7 depending on how healthy Shaq is by game 7. If he bursts out 80% or higher, Heat in 5 or 6.

I hope Heat fans don't get too giddy about this one, because this will be a very competitive and hard fought series. This could very easily go either way.

X-Con said:
I refuse to say anything about this series until we know how healthy Shaquille O'Neal really is. If he's gonna be at 50-70%, I'll say Heat or Pistons in 7 depending on how healthy Shaq is by game 7. If he bursts out 80% or higher, Heat in 5 or 6.

I hope Heat fans don't get too giddy about this one, because this will be a very competitive and hard fought series. This could very easily go either way.

The Diesel went hard in practice on Saturday......(WSVN)......I think we and the Pistons are gonna get a pissed off and fired up diesel.

Get off the tracks sheed and 2 pt's a game fro man....you are gonna get squashed.

TerryTate said:
3. 'Sheed is gonna take advantage of the 4-spot with his athleticism, being able to shoot from the outside, taking away the inside prescence of Zo (who may be playing the PF with Shaq at the same time this series) or forcing a slower Udonis Haslem to come outside and defend.

Shaq and Zo have never been on the court at the same time...doubt that will change. Dooling can defend Sheed on the perimeter....where Haslem will have problems is against him in the post. That is if he decides he wants to play there.

10. Who is gonna guard Tayshaun Prince? Eddie Jones will be defending Rip Hamilton in my opinion...Chauncey billups will probably be guarded by Wade....Damon Jones is gonna get posted up and destroyed if he is guarding Prince. Look for a lot more of Shandan Anderson and Keyon Dooling to play starter-type minutes, even though they wont be on the floor at tip-off.

Damon gets Chauncey. Rip gets a combo of Eddie and Wade. Prince gets Wade, Anderson, or Eddie. Damon will never be let near Prince. Its not really a fear of him posting up but whoever guards him has to keep him off the offensive boards. Wade has the strength to match up with him.

24 hours before game time. Something we can look back on when the series are done.

What to expect:

1. I'm going to be lovin' the Haslem vs B.Wallace matchup because those are 2 of the hardest working players in the league. Look for Wallace to have the upper hand until Shaq shows up and decides it's time to go to school.

2. The Jones's will have a very hard time in this series. Detroit is too physical and too good defensively for these 2.

3. D-Wade will show the world he can play with the best. I love Chauncey but he'll have his hands full. Even though he's an all-star defender, I don't like the Rip-Wade matchup if I'm the Pistons.

4. Tayshaun Prince is becoming a heck of a player. Look for him defensively, his hops and long limbs make him vicious on the boards.

5. This is a real test for S. Van Gundy. He's going up against one of the best, if not the best in Larry Brown. He's gotta bring his A game or else...

6. Zo will be a good cheerleader unless Shaq isn't 80% and has to sit out for extended periods of time.

7. Look for Darko to be the X-factor...on the Pistons cheeleading squad :D

8. I hope Mcdyess drinks up some magic potion and regains his old form, where he used to be gold for the Nuggets because otherwise the Pistons have a very limited bench, and I mean very limited, which is a big edge for Miami.
I still love Elden Campbell, from his Laker days, and he WILL, along with Lindsey Hunter surprise from time to time, but apart from that I just don't like Carlos Arroyo, Darvin Ham, Carlos Delfino.

9. I think Rasheed Wallace is a guy that could do some damage. He's the biggest question mark on that Detroit side, he's boom or bust.
On the Heat, you've got to look out for Keyon Dooling, he's gained so much confidence as the season's gone on that he is becoming a threat.

10. This will be a long series. Both teams won't bow out easily. With a healthy Shaq the series will go 6 for the Heat. If Shaq is hampered and is limited, I say the Pistons in 6.

ESPN reported that since 1990 the team that has won game 1 in conference Finals are 27-3 in winning the series. Tomorrow games is bigger then one would think!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
ESPN reported that since 1990 the team that has won game 1 in conference Finals are 27-3 in winning the series. Tomorrow games is bigger then one would think!

I was going to post the exact same thing.

Another stat that they brought up.....no team in the History of the league has had all five starters log more than 2500 minutes in a season (Detroit) and WON a NBA championship in that season.

FinsNYanksFan13 said:

Tony...all you have to do is look at your favorite baseball team to know that stats like these can mean absolutely nothing....

A team that has won the first three games of a playoff series has never lost 4 straight....and Boston found a way...

this stat means jack squat....so many intangibles and question marks to this series...this line wont impact it a bit...

What if shaq comes out strong and the heat win the first two games? Then the big aristotle aggravates his injury? Thats one variable...twist around that scenario...if shaq cant play in game 1 and then comes out like the shaq of old in game two and rips apart the pistons...then what?

So like i said...a stat like this means jack when it comes down to the unknowns at this time and the unknowns throughout this series...honestly I believe there is more to shaq than that thigh bruise.

Dwyane Wade was a huge NON-factor for us, and this is the first time I can honestly say that about him in an important game. He picked the wrong game to play he's coming off of a soph-jinx rather than an amazing season.

Oh well, Stan's team now has to win a game or two on the road, and that's pathetic. Detroit seems like they can bump and foul and foul and foul all they want, but really...Dwyane Wade & Damon Jones played like they didn't give a damn tonight, so I'm not really gonna be like the rest of the fanbase and put this one 100% on the refs. I had a feeling that Shaq would come out tonight and surprise people and Wade would play like sh-t.

There is no way Shaq is gonna play this well in game 2. I hate to start the "end of the world" b.s. after a game 1(even if it was at home), but this team is screwed. At the beginning of the year I said this team was a legit SF away from a championship run, but in the middle of the season I changed my tune. I really don't see how we're gonna take game 2, split in Detroit, then take care of business the rest of the way. Shaq's gonna run out of gas pretty soon, and Wade obviously isn't gonna get any calls in this series to help him.

X-Con said:
Dwyane Wade was a huge NON-factor for us, and this is the first time I can honestly say that about him in an important game. He picked the wrong game to play he's coming off of a soph-jinx rather than an amazing season.

Oh well, Stan's team now has to win a game or two on the road, and that's pathetic. Detroit seems like they can bump and foul and foul and foul all they want, but really...Dwyane Wade & Damon Jones played like they didn't give a damn tonight, so I'm not really gonna be like the rest of the fanbase and put this one 100% on the refs. I had a feeling that Shaq would come out tonight and surprise people and Wade would play like sh-t.

There is no way Shaq is gonna play this well in game 2. I hate to start the "end of the world" b.s. after a game 1(even if it was at home), but this team is screwed......

If the heat split at home here and then take one road game from detroit...they have home court advantage...it's silly to think that the team is screwed after one game....

Back
Top Bottom