A QB in the 1st round? No. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A QB in the 1st round? No.

Buff

From a galaxy far far away....
Club Member
Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion on this, which is fine, but a lot seem to believe that by drafting a QB in the 1st round will transform the team into a SB contender. I think we need a lot more than a new QB.

If we were drafting in the first 2-4 spots, then yes, a QB in the 1st should be considered. However I dont think, or at least hope that we wont trade up & take a QB with the 1st pick next April. To me, with no 2nd round pick, a trade up is fraught with too many issues. Having an inexperienced QB behind our O Line IMO will be similar to what Detroit have with Stafford. A QB on IR.

I believe we will be picking about 15-18 range, a range where, without a 2nd round pick, is a pretty decent spot to be able to trade down in the 1st and pick up a second round pick.

Now I havent seen a lot of Miami this year, however, what I have seen has shown up bigger issues than QB. Sure Henne has struggled at times, some of it is his fault, however the O Line can be found to be wanting due to lack of cohesion, injuries and primarily career backups being forced into starting positions. Only Jake Long, Nate Garner & John Jerry (when fit) have showed that they are deserving of starters on a regular basis. The rest, Berger, Incognito, Proctor & Carey are fairly solid rotational lineman. The rest are nothing special.

With the OLine having these issues, they havent been able to open running lanes for RW or RB. This has caused the game plan - or lack thereof, to be all over the place like a dogs breakfast. As a result we have gone from a great running team to a below average running team and a below average passing team. We seriously need an infusion of speed at running back, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Ronnie Brown be traded to the Pats for there 3rd round pick from the Vikes. ATM, thats the best that we could get for Ronnie.

Our WR corp is actually quite good. No real issues with BM, Bess, & Hartline providing a very good 123. The backups in Moore & Wallace have shown enough to indicate that WR wont be a spot targetted early in the draft.

However, TE is an issue. Fasano is a good No 2. He has the odd good game, but they are too far apart. A field stretching TE is needed as Fasano couldn't run out of sight in a dark night. The draft does not look great this year for fast TE, but this spot needs an upgrade.

The Defence has been the most consistant unit fielded this year. Linemen to LB, all have improved generally from last year. The DL starters are pretty solid starters, and most of the backups are solid and improving. The only real spot IMO that needs an upgrade would be NT where Soliai is adequate but we could do better.

LB are above average. Dansby & Wake are clearly the best, but Crowder - yeah, I don't rate him, never have, should be replaced or at least moved to backup. We need a sideline to sideline ILB that can run with TE's and clearly that aint Crowder. The backups in Francis, Moses, Spitler & Edds are serviceable - Edds still a ? however he was slated as a starter before injury finished him.

The DB's have shown a lot this year. They dropped a few int's but every DB drops passes, but at least they put themselves into postion to defend & int the pass. Last year we were atrocious. This year above average. A young SS to replace the aging Bell would be a start, but this group have been generally quite good most of the year.

So. If your still reading, I think that O Linemen, RB & TE are the biggest spots that needs to be filled via draft. The O Line draft looks solid, Wisniewski, Solder, Carimi, Pouncey etc should be strongly considered particularly if we can trade down & pick up a second. Along with a starter or two via FA, the Oline is the biggest issue. However, if no trades are available, then we take the very best player available who can step in & start immeadiately.

As for QB in the draft, nope. I would like to think that Chad Henne still has the chance to nail the spot when we get rid of Henning. Henning just doesnt move with the game, and hampers the development of the qb. And in all honesty, that is the biggest issue we have facing us this offseason.

Disagree if you wish, but don't flame.

We can not trade brown he will be a free agent. But i agree with a lot you said, The QB position does not have an easy fix people seem to think if you draft a QB in the 1st round your QB is solved. Like most fans I was pissed the year we passed on Brady Quinn, Thigpen was drafted in the 7th round that year and so far has looked better then Quinn. Dont get me wrong if we draft at 18 and Locker is still there and our front office likes him they should take him, but 1st round is not a silver bullet. You are right our OL is a problem but I think one good free agent could solve that problem like Mankins or Gallery from oakland, look at he change in NE offensive line since Mankins resigned.Long is great, Carey is good,Berger and incognito are serviceable I think one real good OG would make our line look so much better not perfect but good. I do think you hit several of our problems right on.

Every year this team does not find an elite QB is another wasted one as far as I'm concerned now. The best thing I could see the Fins doing is signing Palmer to a 1 or more likely 2 year contract then draft Mallett(I know some people think he's a bust waiting to happen)and bring in a Coryell influenced OC. Also find a way to get an athletic TE. Honestly this team seems 2 drafts away, with both focusing heavily on offense, before they will be elite. Hopefully they can find a way to get the 2nd rd. pick back. I'll tell you 1 thing though if they pass on an available QB this year in the 1st rd. or at least don't change the QB situation next year I'm going to be mighty pissed the 2nd Sunday of September next year

I agree Buff - but you are right weren't Palmer and McNabb top three QBs off the board - how many SBs do they have combined? But we still more QBs - I am not even opposed to the BPA in the first

I have opened up more to the QB in the first round, my problem is, I don't think any of the top 4 will be there when we pick (Luck, Newton, Mallet, Locker).

You are still drafting BPA with that first pick, meaning you don't even pass up on a elite defensive player to reach on offense, though I hope we go offense.

I still think you gotta prepare to take a QB in round 3 or 4, just because you have Henne going into the final year of his contract and you don't want to be left outside the following year w/o any QB experience and not in a position to invest in Henne or get a top 10 pick. You need a guy who was in the system for a year when he isn't that top pick.

It is very difficult right now, because you don't know where the Dolphins stand on guys like Ronnie and Ricky, Thigpen, Moses, Cobbs, Hilliard . . . why wouldn't Miami sign Ronnie Brown if it was real reasonable. He is still more than serviceable. Then we can draft a change of pace guy and run with that.

I don't like drafting RB's early, but I think we would have to pull the trigger on Ingram if he was there when we pick.

I wouldn't mind Mallet if he was still there when we pick. We have too many other needs to trade up for anybody!

WTF did we draft Pat White and not pick up Vick?

epa2205l-1.jpg

Don't hang your hat on just Luck, Mallet, Newton, and Locker. There are several guys that play at schools that don't get the recognition because they play for a minimally talented or small program. Pat Devlin and Ben Chappell come to mind. You'll start hearing about these guys as the Combine gets closer.

Don't hang your hat on just Luck, Mallet, Newton, and Locker. There are several guys that play at schools that don't get the recognition because they play for a minimally talented or small program. Pat Devlin and Ben Chappell come to mind. You'll start hearing about these guys as the Combine gets closer.

I think drafting a QB should happen . . . I think the better question is . . . if Locker/Newton/Mallet were sitting when we pick . . . would we draft one . . . or would we still wait until round 3 or 4 to get a guy like Devlin or the kid from UNLV or Chappell.

Luck is the only qb in the draft with any pro potential. the rest are going to be decent at best. since we have no prayer at Luck stick with Henne for another year until a good qb class is available. don't waste time with one of these rookies who can't be great

I think drafting a QB should happen . . . I think the better question is . . . if Locker/Newton/Mallet were sitting when we pick . . . would we draft one . . . or would we still wait until round 3 or 4 to get a guy like Devlin or the kid from UNLV or Chappell.
I agree and if Locker is available when we pick I would certainly hope they take him. Henne will be on the roster so I can't see them dealing to move up for a QB. As mentioned earlier, I am sure they'll trade down to recoup the second rounder then draft BPA which hopefully, is an athletic TE.

We had our chance at a QB, Matt Ryan and we ****ing blew it...

We won't get a chance like that for another decade...

Oh well, many fans here are okay with a marginally average team and a coach who is slightly above average.

All these people that just send out all these blanket statements saying "we should pick a QB in the 1st round" or "we should not pick a QB in the 1st round"...without actually looking at the talents of the QBs in question...I hope they realize how irrelevant their opinions are.

This team does not need a lot. Our offensiveline was hit with a lot of injuries, we need a legit qb and we are a top 4 team in the afc.Im all for signing McNabb and drafting another wideout and running back. If you improve those four position we are contenders. The defense is constantly improving and we have a very good all around team on that side of the ball. I do not blame the coaches this year, i blame it all on Henne. And I was a big Henne supporter, but he showed me that he isnt close to being ready. He played absolutely terrible. He left plays on the field period. A fine example was at the end of the game, throwing the Ricky Williams. Why in the world would he throw the ball there?? Thats not the coaches fault thats all Henne decision making. He has the talent to throw down field and just do bone headed things. The coaches tried to go to Pennington but he shoulder was shot. The blame should be chad henne...

Back
Top Bottom