A QB in the draft question; | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A QB in the draft question;

fishypete

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
In modern history....has there ever been a Quarterback taken in the first round that came from a losing program? Never mind one that hasn't won in over three years.

O.K. all you draftniks....and football junkies....get to work...and have some fun.

Dante Culpepper off the top of my head. But there have been plenty of QBs from small programs who would have never won close to as many as Cutler won in the SEC.

Eli Manning, J.P. Losman, Patrick Ramsey, Tim Couch, Steve McNair, and more. But like I said, The program doesnt matter. All of the MAC QBs would have had a horrible record had their teams played in the SEC. Talent is talent, a player shouldn't be thought of any less because he didn't have talent around him.

Dante Culpepper off the top of my head. But there have been plenty of QBs from small programs who would have never won close to as many as Cutler won in the SEC.

UCF was 9-2 during Daunte Culpepper's senior year.

Eli Manning, J.P. Losman, Patrick Ramsey, Tim Couch, Steve McNair, and more. But like I said, The program doesnt matter. All of the MAC QBs would have had a horrible record had their teams played in the SEC. Talent is talent, a player shouldn't be thought of any less because he didn't have talent around him.

Eli Manning was 10-3 his senior year.

JP Losman's senior year at Tulane they were 5-7, they weren't really that bad but injuries decimated that team.

Patrick Ramsey was 3-9 his senior year at Tulane.

Tim Couch was 7-5 his senior year.

John Elway wasn't the biggest winner in college if I'm not mistaking.

Ozzy rules!!

Would it change your opinion of him? Would anything at this point?

SpeedRush99 said:
Would it change your opinion of him? Would anything at this point?
who are you asking? and who are you asking about? Do I think different about Elway? I admit that back in 83 I didn't want him...I actually wanted Kelly(canes)and then Marino and Elway was a distant 3rd.If you're asking about Cutler, I don't care about the record....I'd like to see us take him.

Ozzy rules!!

David Klinger took 6th had a 5-7 college record his senior year.

Dumb debate, I suppose Ken Dorsey is an all-star in some people's books. This to me is like saying Terry Bradshaw is better than Marino because of his rings, or that Tim Duncan is better than Karl Malone(even though Malone beat the crap out of Duncan at 40 years old).

Danny said:
who are you asking? and who are you asking about? Do I think different about Elway? I admit that back in 83 I didn't want him...I actually wanted Kelly(canes)and then Marino and Elway was a distant 3rd.If you're asking about Cutler, I don't care about the record....I'd like to see us take him.

Ozzy rules!!

Sorry, that was directed at Fishy and his crusade against Cutler.

Jaj said:
Dumb debate, I suppose Ken Dorsey is an all-star in some people's books. This to me is like saying Terry Bradshaw is better than Marino because of his rings, or that Tim Duncan is better than Karl Malone(even though Malone beat the crap out of Duncan at 40 years old).

Exactly, Fishy needs to realize football is a team sport and one player no matter how good they are, can win games by themselves.

It's a decent question. Cutler went 5-6 his senior year. I just know where Pete is going with this, and that is the only reason I'm skeptical of the thread. But, I'll bite.

Here's a good example for you Pete. A certain QB we all know. Went 5-6 his senior year in college (same as Cutler), was a number one overall pick. Some say he was the best QB ever to play in the NFL.

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Top_100_Players/Top_100_Players_43_John_Elway.htm

He never went to a bowl game and lost more college games than he won. He didn't win a Heisman Trophy and wasn't within 75 miles of a national championship. So on our list of players where we put the highest emphasis on winning, especially for quarterbacks, how did John Elway make the list over other amazing quarterbacks and how did he get up on the list so high?

He was a superstar of the highest magnitude, even in college.

As the son of a football coach, he combined the football smarts instilled by his father and otherworld athletic ability on the gridiron. On the baseball diamond he was also a high school legend and could've gone anywhere on a baseball scholarship alone. His father, Jack, was the head coach at San Jose State, but when it was time for his son to choose a school, the high-school legend chose Stanford.

...and of course that quarterback was John Elway. So, there goes THAT theory, eh Pete?

So far we've got Losman (5-7) and Ramsey (3-9) confirmed...I guess Klingler (5-7) too. And, of course Elway (5-6). So, from them I think we can fairly discern that you don't have to have a winning record in your senior year to end up in the first round.

Also, Brett Favre was 6-6 in 1989, but turned it around a bit in 1990 going 8-4.

Back
Top Bottom