A QB in the draft question; | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A QB in the draft question;

rickeyrunsover said:
Fishy, I will say that I disagree w/ many of your opinions. I do say that you must have conviction in your opinions as you defend them knowledgeably. But you appear to throw some stones while living in a glass house. I am assuming you are refering to KB when referring to the draft guru? Has he been wrong? Yeah, so has Mel Kiper, Scouts inc., ourlads, and all others that prognosticate the draft. The diff is he usually is on par with the thinking of everyone else. Yes KB was high on the qbs last year, Smith went #1 overrall, Rogers slipped, but I remember KB saying that if Rogers fell out of teh top 7 to 10 he could fall to the bottom. Players do fall like that even tho the talent is there for a much higher pick, simply the teams drafting in those positions do not need that player as they have their franchise player or they believe they do. Also it isnt an exact science, unless you are in all teams warrooms, you cant posiibly know what direction they are taking. I would bet money if Ariz was to do it over again, they would take Rogers.

Fact is Fishy, you dont like Cutler, which is fine, that is your opinion and is as valid as those who like him, he isnt a guarentee either way. But you arent going to prove you are right with this type of thread. You have no basis in fact that you are right. Nor do I. I have learned that just because you can point to certain skill sets, demeanor, attitudes, etc.. it doesnt prove anything. Just like the record of the team he played for doesnt prove the abilities of that player on the next level. Many examples have been given. You can also make examples of qbs from winning programs that have failed on the next level. That is due to teh qb being the hardest to predict.

My point is, knowing it is not an exact science, I look at the physical skills, the poise, the presence, the demeanor exhibited, the mental intelligence and toughness and see Cutler possesses the skills there. To me, he being able to produce while remaining poised and focused in the environment he was in is a plus. He never let the frustrations of playing for a god awful football team detract him, he never let it get into his head, he always played hard, fought hard, got him close to beating a very good bowl team, competed well against others, made solid decisions and earned the respect of the opponents he faced and the coaches scouts and others who believe he performed very well in the position he was in. No he isnt a guarentee, but neither is Young or leinart. All have weaknesses, but do those weaknesses say more about the player or the supporting cast? If all you can come up with a weakness for Cutler is his college teams record? then I want him even more. I question Leinarts arm, which is exclusive to the player, not the team. It also doesnt mean Leinart wont be successful, I believ he will, but I dont feel he will have the same type of success on the NFL level that he did at USC, defenses are too good and too fast. That is my opinion, many disagree with me, I wont dispute their opinions. Young has mechanics quetions, same as Rivers. System questions as well. Doesnt mean he wont succeed either, just has questions related to his personal abilities translated to the next level. So far I hevent heard any weakness relating to Cutler that deals with personal flaws where it translates to the NFL. If that is teh case, I am on the Cutler bandwagon.

Sorry....I didn't mention any thing about Draft Guru's...

Jnaledu3 said:
What Fishy neglects to realize is that NFL scouts dont evaluate players based on their overall team record. Vandy's record effects Cutler the same way the Oklahomas record effected Jason White's draft status. It doesnt matter.

Mueller likes to draft QBs in the later rounds anyway, right Pete?

But we wouldnt even be having this conversation had the Fins listened to you; because with Jim Bates as HC, Spielman as GM, and Feeley as the QB- we would be getting ready for next weekends AFC championship game.

So keep on spreading that BS Pete, because as long as the Dolphins do the opposite of what you say, I know we are going in the right direction.

Records do matter...regardless of what other opinion's may think....if it didn't matter....the top ten players would all come from losing schools...instead of winning programs. By the way....they don't evaluate players just by what they do in the senior bowl either. Thats why they play the games....thats why they watch these kids all thru high school and college.

fishypete said:
Records do matter...regardless of what other opinion's may think....if it didn't matter....the top ten players would all come from losing schools...instead of winning programs. By the way....they don't evaluate players just by what they do in the senior bowl either. Thats why they play the games....thats why they watch these kids all thru high school and college.

You dont get it, you are so one tracked in your thinking. Why does anyone even bother having a discussion with you? You believe that we should all just sit and be mesmerized by your self proclaimed brilliance :shakeno:

What were you referring to with your response to me? You made a reference the board draft guru being wrong on many things, I pointed out the nationally recognized gurus are wrong with some picks every year, it isnt an exact science. Judging from your 1 sentence response i gather you cant dispute anything I said.

I respect your opinion and your right to it, what I dont respect is your judgemental attitude towards anyone who posts a response rebuffing your opinion. As if that automatically dismisses their opinion as nonconsequential. When in fact it is you who have posted nothing to refute what was posted in deference to your original theory. Which is a one tracked narrow minded position IMO.

As far as this reponse goes, you portray your response as fact while ignoring all the actual facts brought against your position. Players are not drafted based solely on their teams record. Sorry YOU are wrong and has been proven numerous times so I am not rehashing those points as it is useless you will ignore them as if it was never pointed out. Had McNair played above 1AA with Alcorn state, his record wopuld have stunk, would that negate him as an NFL player? Maybe if Vandy went to 1AA and had a 10-1 record he would be NFL worthy? Scouts will look at how the player performed in that situation while playing for a losing team, did he perform well despite the team around him? Did he excel at his position? Did he show the intangibles they look for? If he does, despite the record, he will be graded highly as Cutler is. You dont like it? So what?

Back
Top Bottom