A question about last years draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A question about last years draft

uk_dolfan

Proud Tua Cultist
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
So I decided to have a look at the draft reports from last season about Egnew. They mostly seem pretty positive, rating him as a talented TE who was one of the better options in the draft. Lets forget his lack of success this season. What did you draft guys think of him this time last year? Was he a bad pick? (the reports I have read made me think it wasn't) or has something just went wrong with him when asked to step up to the next level?

Im very curious about this as from what I have seen/read I cant help but think if we could get him playing to his potential he could be the TE we so badly need.

Cheers guys, I value your input.

I thought he was a good pick in the 3rd round, and I had a 3rd round grade on him. I think he needed time to get his strength up, but in terms of his football IQ I didn't interview him so there's no way for me to know. Athletically, he tested at the top in terms of TE's at the combine: 4.62 / 40 yard dash (4th among TE's)..... 21 / bench reps (Tied for 5th among TE's)..... 36" / vertical jump (Tied for 1st among TE's)..... 10'11" / broad jump (1st among TE's).... 7.03 / 3-cone (4th among TE's)..... 4.32 / short shuttle (4th among TE's)..... 12.07 / 60-yard shuttle (Tied for 6th among TE's).... basically he tested in the top 5 in every category except one, and tested 1st in two categories. His production on the field his last two seasons at Missouri were tops among TE's.... the only thing that really jumped out at me was a low yards/catch average and lack of TD's. He didn't miss games due to injury and was a durable, dependable player. I think he only missed 2 games.... one his freshman year and one his sophomore year. His tape looked good making catches matched up with legitimate NFL defenders draped all over him like Lavonte David, etc. If he doesn't turn out to be at least a serviceable player I'll be surprised. It would have to be due to something that I didn't have access to, such as whether or not he knows how to get on the same page with his quarterback via PSR (invert, rotate, zero, quarter, half, zone blitz, robber, etc.) and how to identify and attack coverages. We already knew he wasn't used in-line, and therefore didn't understand leverage.

I'm not convinced that he couldn't make a few plays now if they just put him on the field. Same way I felt about Rishard Matthews all season. I know he can make plays if they just let him play. He's subject to make some mistakes, but he'll make plays too. If mistakes are what's keeping some of these guys from entering the game, then most of the roster should be sitting on the bench right beside 'em.

Thanks Slim, great posts. Im glad you still see some hope, I have felt all season that some have given up on him far too early.

I hope he sees some action in these last few games, what do we have to lose?

you don't want to see my predraft and immediate post draft takes on michael egnew if you want to feel good about what he has to offer...

I think Egnew has the same problem that his predecessor had Chase Coffman. In Mizzou's offense, the TE is a slower WR. The blocking the TE does, if any, does not prepare them for the NFL. Until he learns to block, I do not think that we will see him on the field.

I thought he was a solid pick for the third round.

Every draft publication I could find had between a 3rd and 5th round grade on Egnew. I liked the pick at the time and believe Egnew was not a reach.

I dont believe were "giving up on him" , some players take longer to develop than others. lets give him another pre-season and see if he gets any reps next year, a season watching and learning during games whilst bulking up a little and perfecting his blocking isn't a bad thing. I believed he was a good solid pick where we got him and still believe that..

Liked his potential, but felt he was gonna be the 3rd TE at best this year. Though I did feel we'd use him as Philbin loved using TEs in Green Bay.

Has a lot to learn, but people shouldn't be ready to throw him to the curb yet

Jermichael Finely only caught 6 catches for 74 yards and 1 touchdown his first year in Green Bay. Granted, that is more than Egnew, but give the kid time to develop

you don't want to see my predraft and immediate post draft takes on michael egnew if you want to feel good about what he has to offer...

I'm with hooshoops on this one. If you've seen my pre-draft and post-draft comments, you'll know i wasn't a fan of Egnew for many reasons.

Thanks Slim, great posts. Im glad you still see some hope, I have felt all season that some have given up on him far too early.

I hope he sees some action in these last few games, what do we have to lose?

I cant say Ive given up hope, but for someone I had high expectations for.....the fact that he hasnt even dressed for a game is a HUGE disappointment. Im not going to lie, the scene in Hard Knocks when Sherman said he would have cut him if he wasnt a 3rd rounder......thats in the back of my head too.

I was him on the field though......Mathews too!!

these last three weeks we should see some guys i would think .

especially with the guys missing time in bess and misi.

personally I have seen enough of jason trusnik, I'd hope that would activate kaddu.

i was with slimm, just wanting to even see limited action for egnew and matthews all year. let them take some lumps and see if they can make some plays.

Back
Top Bottom