A really really really really really cheap solution to OL | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A really really really really really cheap solution to OL

Jaj

What you say?
Reaction score
LT- Smith
LG- Competition between Yates, Whitley, and Jerman who all showed promise last year.
C-McKinney
RG- A healthy Nails
RT- Brad Hopkins will be cut from the Titans for his cap figure. He is a good veteran that can play RT for us until a replacement is found a couple years from now.

Backups

T- If Smith is hurt Hopkins can play LT. He is one. Also draft probably a mid rounder like Brian Rimpf that can be developed for the RT spot. Jerman and Borum if he makes it are also backups at RT.
G- The two losers of those battles.
C- A late rounder like A.J. Ricker. Smart, capable center.

Also you can probably add Borum being back to add depth and there always cap casualties that can help.

It allows you to spend very very little on OL yet have a solid one and go for a big time QB or big time WR. It's the simplest answer.

You have to remember that Smith and Nails will both improve for their different reasons. McKinney once he masters the line calls is an improvement over Ruddy. Hopkins is a very underrated RT.

Like this would ever happen, but remember that guy who filled in at OL coach the preseason of Wanny's first year? He was some retired OL coach from Buffalo's early 90's lines named Breshnahan or something. I DEFINITELY noticed improved OL play that year. Who was our OL coach that year? I don't think it was Wise. Well, not going to happen anyway, but while we're on the subject of cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap OL solutions, just thought I'd throw that out there.

We had him in 2000 I think then when Wise came things fell apart. I think you are talking about Carolina's current OL coach.

That's another good point.....how 'bout we bring in some "role-playing" coaches to go with our (hopefully) "role-playing" O-line.

Anybody know of any good available coaches they'd like to see come in....for any function?

Hmmm... Well, I definitely remember whoever was supposed to be our OL coach that year was ill with something heavy duty, and this retired ex-bill OL coach came in and the line play picked up markedly. He'd said he wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes and was there only on a temp basis but would be happy to help for an extended time in any capacity if anyone would ask him.

I doubt that alot of money needs to be poured into OL. If we could get Hopkins it would solidify the T spots and provide and answer at all important LT if Smith gets hurt. Gs can be found. Re-sign Nails for cheap healthy and move him to RG where run blocking guards should be. At LG a pass blocking G like Yates can take care of things. Marcus Spears or Willig could be cut from the Chiefs. They would both start at LG on our line.

It really isn't so hard to make a decent OL.

If Hopkins were to be cut I'd like to have him here for a year or so. Of course I'd rather have Tait or Clifton but they won't exactly be cheap.

Well it's either him or Fred Miller and I would say I would prefer Hopkins for his versatility at the T spots. I think he's got a good two years left in him.

I don't know about that. But he is also in cap danger so if we could land him all the better. Either would be ideal for the price.

Although being able to play LT helps Hopkins' case alot.

Originally posted by Agua
Like this would ever happen, but remember that guy who filled in at OL coach the preseason of Wanny's first year? He was some retired OL coach from Buffalo's early 90's lines named Breshnahan or something. I DEFINITELY noticed improved OL play that year. Who was our OL coach that year? I don't think it was Wise. Well, not going to happen anyway, but while we're on the subject of cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap OL solutions, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Tom Bresnahan filled in for Paul Boudreau who had a tumor removed from his kidney. And I'll tell you what, I took notice of him right off the bat at Training Camp! He took his time with each and every lineman with their techniques, and IMO he had a lot to do with the line playing so good right from the start of the season. He wanted to remain retired, but I wish they could have swayed him otherwise!

Of the initial premise, I agree with this:

It's really, really, really, really, really cheap

But it's not what I'd consider a solution. :)

I like Hopkins and think he can play LT actually, and I would prefer to move Smith to RT at least for the moment. Whoever our QB is, would probably appreciate it.

Wouldnt Smith to RT be a bad move? RT's are generally bigger, road grader types with less pass blocking and athletiticism, and more run blocking. Considering the trend is that top RDE's are faster, smaller guys who are in alot of cases just bigger linebackers, and the top LDE's are generally bigger, slower, stronger guys?

The only reason for moving Smith to LT in my mind is if we pick up Brunell.

Back
Top Bottom