A Recipe For Our Success, The Way It Should Be Done | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Recipe For Our Success, The Way It Should Be Done

jonanthans

LES f**g MILES
Reaction score
It's no secret that Mark Sanchez is not an elite Qb, not even close. So how have the Jets made it to 2 AFC Championship games behind an average Qb? Solid O-Line play, solid Defense and good special teams. Their Qb doesn't have to win a lot of games for them, he just has to not lose them. As much as I hate the Jets, I have to give them some props for their second half performance tonight. They fought back and had everyone worrying that they had begun to celebrate too quickly.

While I am not a huge fan of Henne, and I definetly want to upgrade the position, I think we really need to address 3 positions in this draft before we try to aquire our franchise Qb. Our O-Line needs to be big and nasty, we need a TE that is a downfield threat, and we need a power Rb.

While many on this board are not in favor of drafting Mark Ingram at the #15 position, I believe that may be one of the best options we can do. Yes, Rbs do have a shorter shelf life in the NFL than other positions. Which is why I prefer to draft an elite Rb as opposed to signing a DeAngelo Williams/Ahmad Bradshaw/etc etc who have already had a few years of wear and tear on their bodies. We need to get some fresh legs back there. In tonights game, LaDanian Tomlinson was a non-factor against Pittsburgh, 9 carries for 16 yards, while Shonn Greene had 9 carries for 52 yards. It was clear who the better back was, and it was simply due to the fact that Greene has the legs for it, LT doesn't.

Our O-Line is something we cannot continue to patch up. We need a Center that can handle these huge D-linemen. We need to have the best protection for a Qb and be able to open up the lanes for our running game. Whether we go after the best O-Lineman available via free-agency or draft the BPA at the O-line positions, we need to make this a priority.

I do not believe drafting a WR like Julio Jones or Jonathan Baldwin is the right pick for us, even though they are good players. I feel like they are more of a luxury pick. A big, fast, sure-handed TE would be much more beneficial to our offense. There are several TE's that are going to hit the free-agent market that would be HUGE upgrades for us, Zach Miller, Owen Daniels, etc.

I do want us to upgrade our Qb position, but I feel like there is not a franchise Qb that will be available to us. The more that I research guys like Devlin, Enderle, Newton, Mallett, etc, the more I don't like what I see. Next years Qb class already has one franchise Qb in A. Luck and another prospect in Matt Barkley that would likely be rated higher if he was in this years draft than almost everyone available now.

With the desperation at the Qb position for so many teams this year, our best move may be to sign a free-agent/trade for an Orton/Palmer/Young and concentrate on solidifying our O-Line, get a young, fresh legged Rb in place. Then, in next years draft, all the teams this year that rolled the dice on these Qbs in this years draft, will probably be drafting in the Top 10 again next year. We will have the benefit of none of those teams drafting a Qb ahead of us, which will put us in the position to not only be able to select an Andrew Luck or a Matt Barkley, but to be able to put them in a lineup with a solid O-line, a good running game, a solid TE which is very often a young Qbs best friend, and a good receiving corps. Pair that with a solid defense and good special teams play, and we will have our franchise in a position to succeed for years to come.

Sanchez is very good at times and very bad at times. His ball placement is as bad as Henne's but he does have a way of keeping a play alive and can make big plays. As for the rest of your post, I tend to see a few contradictions. No to a WR but yes to a TE followed up by getting a TE in Free Agency. Not sure where you stand on that but if Julio Jones is available at #15, that would be very hard not to take him IMO. I am inclined to believe that they will trade down and get the BPA at TE or WR at that spot, then use the second rounder for whichever they don't select first.

As of now, there is no Free Agency or trading until the CBA is resolved; however, there will be a draft. You have to view what may/may not occur based on that situation.

The Jet's will never win a title with Sanchez at QB. You cannot win a title today unless you have a top notch QB. Small ball is dead.

I agree we do need to build other parts of the offense for the foundation for years to come for whoever is our QB next season and for future seasons.
The QB class this year seems thin especially when it comes to our pick in 15th. Then again lets see what comes out from the Combine, Shrine games and evaluations. I hope there are surprises.

Like it or not, Sanchez was a top ten pick in the draft, and the Jets only do well when he plays well. They came back in that game because he started hitting passes in the second half. In the first half he was off and they were getting killed....so your premise is wrong.

By the way, remember we passed on Aaron Rodgers to draft Ronnie Brown....think we'd redo that one? (And Frank Gore was available with our 2nd pick).

Sanchez is very good at times and very bad at times. His ball placement is as bad as Henne's but he does have a way of keeping a play alive and can make big plays. As for the rest of your post, I tend to see a few contradictions. No to a WR but yes to a TE followed up by getting a TE in Free Agency. Not sure where you stand on that but if Julio Jones is available at #15, that would be very hard not to take him IMO. I am inclined to believe that they will trade down and get the BPA at TE or WR at that spot, then use the second rounder for whichever they don't select first.

As of now, there is no Free Agency or trading until the CBA is resolved; however, there will be a draft. You have to view what may/may not occur based on that situation.

To clarify, I would like to either draft a top TE or pick one up in Free Agency, assuming the CBA gets done. Yes, I like Julio Jones as well, but it seems that a Top 15 pick for a WR is more of a luxury pick at the moment. I remember the Detroit Lions drafts where they continued to draft a WR every year in the first round, when they had glaring needs everywhere else on the team. Without an O-line or a running game, you aren't going to be successful.

The Jet's will never win a title with Sanchez at QB. You cannot win a title today unless you have a top notch QB. Small ball is dead.

You definetly need a good Qb, but small ball is not dead. It just got Pittsburgh back to the SB again. Pittsburgh won yesterday with defense and a running game. 10-19 for 133 yards passing can get you to a Super Bowl if you have a running game and a strong defense.

This team needed a new OC and speed more than anything else.

Think about it, what big plays do you remember from this year? A Ricky Williams run against a dog tired Raiders defense and a mis direction play to Fasano against Green Bay that went for a TD. Both short plays. Last year there were atleast 3 or 4 plays from Ginn that stick in mind atleast . . . that speed that was missing this year was crucial.

The Oline was hurt, it will be better next year, though we need to address the LG. We can't keep with the same half speed playmakers on offense. We don't have a Greg Jennings or a Mike Wallace, we need some speed more than anything else.

Like it or not, Sanchez was a top ten pick in the draft, and the Jets only do well when he plays well. They came back in that game because he started hitting passes in the second half. In the first half he was off and they were getting killed....so your premise is wrong.

By the way, remember we passed on Aaron Rodgers to draft Ronnie Brown....think we'd redo that one? (And Frank Gore was available with our 2nd pick).

No doubt, you can always look back and regret not taking players. There are 20-something teams regretting passing on Rodgers as well. But for every Rodgers there is 20 more Qbs that failed. But Ronnie Brown would have been a lot more succesful with a great O-line to run behind. And no way would we have ever drafted Frank Gore at the #2 spot with his knee injury histroy anyways.

No doubt, you can always look back and regret not taking players. There are 20-something teams regretting passing on Rodgers as well. But for every Rodgers there is 20 more Qbs that failed. But Ronnie Brown would have been a lot more succesful with a great O-line to run behind. And no way would we have ever drafted Frank Gore at the #2 spot with his knee injury histroy anyways.

Yea Frank Gore was a high risk, high reward guy . . . Brown wasn't a bad pick, injuries derailed his career from the first season.

Rodgers was also able to sit behnind Brett Favre for 3 years.

Yea Frank Gore was a high risk, high reward guy . . . Brown wasn't a bad pick, injuries derailed his career from the first season.

yeah, Gore's knee history had a lot of teams scared of him. Would have loved to have gotten him..

Brown never carried the full load at Auburn either, he was picked way to high for his production level, and what we saw in his time here matched pretty much what Auburn got out of him.

I disagree, his premise is dead on about the offensive line, that line gave an average passer a chance in Sanchez's case.

And hindsight is 20-20 as far as Rodgers, put it to bed! Btw, you can't win against the most Interesting man in the world, he speaks Russian ... IN FRENCH!

I do agree with your sig!

Just believe OL is the way to go, barring the 1st rd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom