A reflection of recent Parcells drafts | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A reflection of recent Parcells drafts

Man i hope hope Ireland and Saprano (i know its sparano) have the final say. but i think together, they will definatley pull some good picks. You should have done more research. what is the percentage of pics that turns out not good in general? then compare those numbers

ridiculous post. The whole "xxx was still available" is a useless afterthought. You could make these same arguments about every team's draft over the last 4 years too.

Here's a comparison: how many starters have they drafted over the last 5 years vs how many we've drafted? See an improvement?

I agree that Parcell's drafts, where he had final say, were pretty ugly, fortunately, Ireland's got the final say here. As Ck pointed out a while back, Ireland's influence came into play in the 2005 draft after Lacewell retired in 2004, and that was very good draft.

I'm really hoping that we draft 2 OL very early, we've seen those later round OL picks here for what seems like forever, and they've been pretty bad.

I'm also hoping we get 2 OL very early.

Not trying to be a jerk, just asking, but if Ireland's influence came into play in 2005--which was a great draft--was he also responsible for their 2006 draft--which kinda stunk?

That's how all drafts look like. You hit & miss. All you can do is draft the size & talent and have good coaching. Coaching & team concepts make players comfortable & confident. Some guys if drafted buy other teams may still be in the league but something happened that caused a player to lose the mojo that got them there. Again, it's hit and miss. Let's just hope the Dolphin enviroment is one where the team can florish...

thanks for the research.....but I don't agree with the many of the comments. Overall, I don't agree with the whole 'passed on player x player y'. It completely ignores need and fitting the system. As good as a player as lofa tatupu is, he wasn't a fit for what Parcells looks for in a LB.

'Trent Cole was still available'....lol. First off Canty is a stud. Second, I would absolutely LOVE to see Trent cole try to play DE in Parcells' 3-4 defense...not gonna happen.

Bradie James, 'nothing special'. James is a very good player and is entrenched as a starter, and IMO a future Pro Bowler.

Jacob Rogers was a bust, but because of injury. bad job by the Cowboy medical staff who incorrectly gauged the extent of the injury.

anthony fasono pick....I tend to think that they have gotten exactly what they wnated out of Fasano. He was picked as a second TE and a good blocker.

I appreciate an educated fan like yourself setting the record straight.

Nice

I posted this because so many assume because we have Bill Parcells and Ireland that we will have some guys that will be so far above the league as far as drafting and as you can see they really are not some super gurus when it comes to drafting. 7 out of 12 of his first day picks were not good picks, you can compare that to our 5 of 9 bad first day pick during the same period.

Not one good lineman was drafted during his time although they made very good free agent aquisitions such as Leonard Davis. One of the biggest factors in Dallas having a 13 win season was thier very experienced offensive line.

Why didn't we hire a guy who hits on every pick?.......................................Oh yeah,

HE DOESN'T EXIST.

Negative as usual.....nothing new here.

It takes at least 4 or 5 years minimum to fully evaluate a draft.

The facts are this, if you look at the Patriots championship teams, their were many key players from the Parcells years on that team.

If you look at the Cowboys current contending playoff team, it is loaded with players either drafted or brought there by Parcells.

I posted this because so many assume because we have Bill Parcells and Ireland that we will have some guys that will be so far above the league as far as drafting and as you can see they really are not some super gurus when it comes to drafting. 7 out of 12 of his first day picks were not good picks, you can compare that to our 5 of 9 bad first day pick during the same period.

Not one good lineman was drafted during his time although they made very good free agent aquisitions such as Leonard Davis. One of the biggest factors in Dallas having a 13 win season was thier very experienced offensive line.

Good point, we will not be getting a pro-bowler with every pick. I would say people need to temper their expectations but we all know that won't happen. There is no arguing that those 2004 and 2006 Dallas drafts suck, so let's not expect the second coming here.

As far as Fasano, he's not a bust but do you really need to spend a second round pick on a second tight end with blocking priorities ?

I think it's very interesting that all the free agent signings have been credited on this site to Bill Parcells yet now some of these past draft decisions are Ireland's.

I've said it before, Parcells will get all the credit and Ireland will get all the blame.

I don't care about the draft or how he has done in FA over the years. I look at his teams win/loss records and the rebuilding of 3 franchises and how fast they got to the playoffs. Whatever he has done it has worked and I expect nothing differant now.

I don't care about the draft or how he has done in FA over the years. I look at his teams win/loss records and the rebuilding of 3 franchises and how fast they got to the playoffs. Whatever he has done it has worked and I expect nothing differant now.

He has rebuilt teams as a coach though and he's not coaching the dolphins. I like what I have read about Sparano but we don't know until he starts coaching.

Why didn't we hire a guy who hits on every pick?.......................................Oh yeah,

HE DOESN'T EXIST.

Negative as usual.....nothing new here.

It takes at least 4 or 5 years minimum to fully evaluate a draft.

The facts are this, if you look at the Patriots championship teams, their were many key players from the Parcells years on that team.

If you look at the Cowboys current contending playoff team, it is loaded with players either drafted or brought there by Parcells.

You are actually the one being quite negative, Not once in my post did I say I expect a guy to draft a probowler with ever pick, just showing that the drafts were nothing special and we should temper our enthusiasm with the coming draft. People act like Parcells or Ireland will hit with every draft pick and history shows they like most GM's miss alot. What do you mean you cant judge a draft for 4 or 5 years? Im sure you can judge his 2004 draft quite well since his 2nd, 3rd and 4th round pick all got cut by him within a year or two. I think we can agree that there was some bad choices or do I need to wait another year. And yes there may be some better GMs than Jeff Ireland or Bill Parcells, I know thats blasphemy.

He has rebuilt teams as a coach though and he's not coaching the dolphins. I like what I have read about Sparano but we don't know until he starts coaching.
IMO he should have better drafts then since he don't have to worry about that aspect. No one knows what Sparano can do as a HC but we interviewed some high quality candidates and he was our man so I hope for the best.

Good point, we will not be getting a pro-bowler with every pick. I would say people need to temper their expectations but we all know that won't happen. There is no arguing that those 2004 and 2006 Dallas drafts suck, so let's not expect the second coming here.

As far as Fasano, he's not a bust but do you really need to spend a second round pick on a second tight end with blocking priorities ?

I think it's very interesting that all the free agent signings have been credited on this site to Bill Parcells yet now some of these past draft decisions are Ireland's.

I've said it before, Parcells will get all the credit and Ireland will get all the blame.

Yea the Fasano pick I think was a huge mistake given the team had bigger needs. If the Cowboys had drafted better in 2004 and 2006 they might have been champs this year but you can play the might game all the time.

I'm also hoping we get 2 OL very early.

Not trying to be a jerk, just asking, but if Ireland's influence came into play in 2005--which was a great draft--was he also responsible for their 2006 draft--which kinda stunk?

Keep in mind, having influence vs. having final say, is a big difference. Jones had the final say, not Ireland.

That first pick, Carpenter, from what I've read was a Parcells pick. I really haven't read anything about the others. And how that '06 draft turns out, okay vs. crap, will depend a lot on 1) how Carpenter turns out. He sort of reminds me of Jason Allen, don't really know what he's about until he gets some consistent playing time. 2) Hatcher - drafted way too early. He was a sleeper with potential, a developmental type player behind Canty, Ellis, Spears.

Fasano I like. They were going to 2 TE packages.

As for rounds 5-7, you just hope for a keeper. I think they only got one. Watkins, the 6'5" safety, he's been in the rotation, so I'm assuming he's a keeper for now.

Stanley, I read was supposed to be the future NT, but, an article I read last week said, if you want one of those, you better get one before the end of the 3rd round.

Any player in the 6th and 7th, from what I can tell, most of the time is pretty much a waste, but hope you get lucky.

OK in defense of Parcells the last two drafts the Cowboys didnt have any glearing needs...they were solid on the offensive line, wide outs, qb and running back and defense they were pretty tough also. Just saying he brought in the players that made the Cowboys who they are now...which is all I can hope he does here in Miami.

Back
Top Bottom