A-Rod, Ramirez Both Win Eighth Silver Slugger Awards | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A-Rod, Ramirez Both Win Eighth Silver Slugger Awards

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
The New York Yankees' Alex Rodriguez and Boston's Manny Ramirez both won their eighth Silver Slugger Awards on Monday, while eight of the nine members of the NL team were first-time winners.who won for the fourth time, was the only member of the NL team to have previously won the award. He was joined in the NL by Chicago Cubs catcher Michael Barrett and first baseman Derrek Lee, Cincinnati shortstop Felipe Lopez, Houston third baseman Morgan Ensberg, Atlanta outfielder Andruw Jones, Florida outfielder Miguel Cabrera, Milwaukee outfielder Carlos Lee and St. Louis pitcher Jason Marquis.

Winners were picked by major league managers and coaches, who were not allowed to vote for their own players. Selections for each position were based on a combination of offensive statistics, such as batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage, as well as impressions of a player's offensive value.

http://articles.news.aol.com/sports/article.adp?id=20051031112909990003

Jeter won his 2nd straight Gold Glove. Well deserved.

I know this will come off as ANTI-BOSTON but how can Varietek win a gold glove when every 5th day he must come OUT of the lineup because he can't catch Wakefield and a knuckleball pitcher. It makes no sense. Maybe no other catchers were worthy, and I can buy that argument if its the case. But I find it hard to believe that a "GOLD GLOVE" catcher can't catch a knuckleball pitcher. Amazing.

MikeO said:
I know this will come off as ANTI-BOSTON but how can Varietek win a gold glove when every 5th day he must come OUT of the lineup because he can't catch Wakefield and a knuckleball pitcher. It makes no sense. Maybe no other catchers were worthy, and I can buy that argument if its the case. But I find it hard to believe that a "GOLD GLOVE" catcher can't catch a knuckleball pitcher. Amazing.

I understand what you're saying however Varitek did catch Wakefield 4 to 5 times this year while Mirabelli was on the DL, and Vtek also used to catch Wakefield in his early years with the Red Sox. Saying he can't catch Wakefield isn't true, he's just not as good at it as Dougie is however he was nowhere near as bad as he looked in Game 5 of the 2004 ALCS. That was very unexpected, because Tek never was that bad before or after that game. Mirabelli is just Wake's personal catcher. Just like Maddux has a personal catcher in Chicago and had one in Altanta and Randy Johnson has a personal catcher in NY.

I'm not saying he deserved it or didn't because I honestly don't have any idea on what the other catchers in the AL did. I could look up all the numbers but I don't care about the G.G. to me they're a joke and just based on name, like the All Star voting. Raffy won a GG over Tino in 1999 I believe and he played less than 30 games at 1st. This year Torii Hunter won a GG and played less than 100 games.

Back
Top Bottom