A shift in Dolphins Draft? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A shift in Dolphins Draft?

TeeMoney said:
In your opinion. I wouldn't be upset if Saban picked Edwards, but there are plenty of reasons to think Smith is BPA, or Pollack, or Benson, or Williams (either). And plenty of reasons to think otherwise :)

Edwards in the most talented player comming out of college. If it was Alex Smith he would be the clear cut #1 pick in the draft... Brown is rated higher then Benson on most big boards now so I wouldn't go as far as saying that Beson is BPA at all.

There are some exceptional RB's, but teams have been very good without a pro bowl running back. Why do you think Alexander and James weren't gobbled up in FA? Teams will dish out the money for elite football players, but they have realised that a RB can be very good with the right system (blocking opening holes, passing game backing up safeties). Portis was great in Denver, switch systems and he's just another above average RB. There is a difference in elite players and above average players- we saw that with Ricky's departure. But teams are figuring it out- good backs can be just as productive if the other parts fit.

FiN.in.RI said:
Edwards in the most talented player comming out of college. If it was Alex Smith he would be the clear cut #1 pick in the draft...

Edwards isn't the clear cut #1 pick in the draft. Maybe you are having an internal debate?

FiN.in.RI said:
... Brown is rated higher then Benson on most big boards now so I wouldn't go as far as saying that Beson is BPA at all...

I think all of us are aware of that, but if you want to pick and choose what draft boards you like then fine. In my opinion a good case can be made for and against any boards top 5. So, to say definitively that one guy is the best player is laughable.

TeeMoney said:
For so long now it's reported that Miami will select a RB at #2. First it was Benson, then it was Brown. Now more and more have Miami selecting Smith, and Edwards is gaining in the mocks for Miami.

Saban's discussions about the #2 pick lean towards a pick for the future. An explosive player that will benefit the "franchise" in years to come. He bristles at questions about the #2 pick- it seems that he would rather have a bunch of lower picks so that it's ok if they fail. This really seems to bother him- the fact that the #2 pick should be a great player. In today's NFL RB's are interchangeable plug and play pieces in Offensive strategy. WR's, LT's, TE's and QB's are the elite players in todays NFL offenses.

Sorry, but wide receivers are not the elite players in offenses these days. They are just as replaceable as any running back, though you have running backs like LaDainian Tomlinson that are more valuable than any wide receiver could possibly be.

TeeMoney said:
Because he didn't say that.

Actually he did. Joe Rose replayed the sound bite where Saban was ripping a reporter and made that Julius Peppers comment. I think the question had something to do with staying at the #2 spot. Ofcourse, this could very well be another one of his mind games.

TeeMoney said:
I think all of us are aware of that, but if you want to pick and choose what draft boards you like then fine. In my opinion a good case can be made for and against any boards top 5. So, to say definitively that one guy is the best player is laughable.

I didn't enter this thread to talk about who we should pick in the draft or who is the best player yada yada b.s., I don't really get involved with the pre-draft drama to form a solid opinion basically i just agee with whatever Boomer or KB say.. The reason why I posted here was because I just took issue with the title of the thread "a shift in dolphins draft" (what???) and your "interchangeable plug n play RBs" comment which i thought was rather off the mark

LT really helped San Diego before Brees and Gates had their breakout years. Moss had Culpepper- who was their RB(s)? Pittsburgh had a collection of wonderful backs and good run O line. I think the running game is takes priority but it is no longer just the elite RB's that can carry a team. Offenses aren't dependant on an elite RB because championship caliber defenses can eliminate that threat and shut down the offense. An elite WR causes more trouble for a defense than simply shutting down a top running back.

FiN.in.RI said:
I didn't enter this thread to talk about who we should pick in the draft or who is the best player yada yada b.s.

hmm. Maybe you should've stayed out?

fin.in.ri said:
If you want the best player in the draft you choose Edwards, regardless of need.

:rolleyes:

Maybe I'm having a hard time articulating, here, what I am trying to say regarding RB's. In the NFL now, RB's are becoming more situation specific. You can't replace a Edgerrin James with a Dominick Rhodes- but if you had Rhodes, you could compliment his abilities with another RB (which teams probably have on their roster anyway). This is why I feel that Elite RB's are interchangeable- because you can use RB's specifically for certain situations. Wide Receivers are not this way. It is much more benificial for a team to have their WR be an elite player because of the mismatches and overcompensation for their abilities that the Defense has to account for. Elite WR's and Elite QB's create opportunities for other players to be successfull. As we've seen in Miami, an Elite RB does not necessarily create opportunities for others.

TeeMoney said:
Maybe I'm having a hard time articulating, here, what I am trying to say regarding RB's. In the NFL now, RB's are becoming more situation specific. You can't replace a Edgerrin James with a Dominick Rhodes- but if you had Rhodes, you could compliment his abilities with another RB (which teams probably have on their roster anyway). This is why I feel that Elite RB's are interchangeable- because you can use RB's specifically for certain situations. Wide Receivers are not this way. It is much more benificial for a team to have their WR be an elite player because of the mismatches and overcompensation for their abilities that the Defense has to account for. Elite WR's and Elite QB's create opportunities for other players to be successfull. As we've seen in Miami, an Elite RB does not necessarily create opportunities for others.

Which one of the Patriots' wide receivers is an elite wide receiver? Terrell Owens, the so called elite wide receiver, couldn't elevate his team to beat a New England team that had a great quarterback, great running back, and very average wide receivers.

How many championships has Randy Moss lead his team to?

You show me an elite wide receiver, and I'll point out the elite quarterback that receiver has. Because a wide receiver cannot be elite without a quarterback that can get him the ball.

An elite running back is different. They are less dependent upon the talent around them than a receiver is. A guy like LaDainian Tomlinson has played with a lousy offensive line and lousy quarterbacking his entire career up until last year.

A receiver is a product of the quarterback.

Yeah, the RB makes the O-Line look good.. I don't buy it, but it is an oft used cliche. Ronnie Brown has good hands and can be used at WR, he played FB so he can block, he can also, believe it or not, run the ball. This is what makes him the best overall RB according to most draft guru's and wannabee guru's. I don't think you can find anyone that will dare use the Patriots to compare or contrast theories about- but it proves my point when they won the Superbowl a few years ago without the "elite" RB you cited in your last post. I can just as easily mention Denver that can plug any undrafted FA RB into their line-up and sell them the next year for a first day draft pick. So, you take a RB prospect and hope he becomes that do it all RB (which in my opinion is exceedingly rare because so much is required of the position right now), or you can choose a player that can play their position at an elite level. Jack-of-all-trades, master of none? (keeping with oft used cliche's)

TeeMoney said:
I think the running game is takes priority but elite WR causes more trouble for a defense than simply shutting down a top running back.

Sorry but I have to disagree here. There are only maybe TWO receivers in the NFL who cause more trouble for defenses then elite RB's, and those two are Randy Moss and TO. There are at least 5 RB's who are much more difficult for defenses to stop than these two receivers. RB's can get the job down no matter who is in at QB, but TO and MOSS can be shut down if their QB's don't have the time to throw. "Great" receivers are a dime a dozen compared to a great RB's.

Back
Top Bottom