A thought on Mare | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A thought on Mare

calmlikeabomb

Starter
Reaction score
With what's-his-name (sorry, I've decided I'd rather not type his name anymore ;) ) gone, I have a feeling that Olindo is once again going to be an essential part of this team, as he was in 2000 and 2001.

One thing I kept thinking last year was how Mare seemed to be much stronger on his kickoffs. But, everytime I watched him kickoff for another touchback, I wondered if his FG accuracy wasn't somehow suffering as a result of his work on his kickoffs.

Then again, I'm no kicking expert. The increase in his kickoff distance could have nothing at all to do with his FG% decrease. All I know is that there is a good chance that Mare will once again have to be a major contributor to this team, and I would really like to see him hitting close to 90% of his FGs again.

I think Mare's best days are long behind him. The guy is one of the highest paid kickers in the entire league but he hasn't preformed like it. He needs to play well in 2004

How hard can it be to be a kicker in the NFL? How many plays are you involved in in a game? Please don't tell me you think his kickoffs are "tiring him out" for his field goals. That has got to be the dumbest theory EVER floated.

4-6 kickoffs a game, 4-6 FG's PAT's. OK - this is the Dolphins - 1-2 FG's and maybe 1 PAT if we are lucky.

Sounds like the easiest job on planet earth to me. All you have to do is kick a ball 70 yards down the middle, and make sure it goes through the upright from up to 55 yards away. Count me in! Easiest job on planet earth.

Oh, and top that off with the fact that they aren't real athletes. When have you ever read anything about a kickers conditioning.

Peyton Manning was right - he has enough to worry about without his "idiot kicker" spouting off at the mouth about their team. Kickers just need to shut the hell up and kick the damn ball.

Ridiculous thread here.

^^^ This foo... so then y arent there so many good kickers in the league...? its not that easy dude... but anyways i hope he wont be a biig part of the offense but i knoow he will end up having to be...

I don't think he was saying mare is getting tired, I think he was pointing out that his extra work on kickoffs led to less practice time spent on fieldgoals. I don't agree because I don't see anybody being that dumb to put there focus in the wrong place like that.

Maybe Memories said:
^^^ This foo... so then y arent there so many good kickers in the league...? its not that easy dude... but anyways i hope he wont be a biig part of the offense but i knoow he will end up having to be...
Sorry - I forgot to mention that IT WAS SARCASM!!!

Here you go :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

Anthony3454 said:
I don't think he was saying mare is getting tired, I think he was pointing out that his extra work on kickoffs led to less practice time spent on fieldgoals. I don't agree because I don't see anybody being that dumb to put there focus in the wrong place like that.
Kickers are not real athletes. How can you get tired by kicking. This has to be the dumbest theory every floated....EVER!!! :rolleyes: :shakeno:

baracuda said:
How hard can it be to be a kicker in the NFL? How many plays are you involved in in a game? Please don't tell me you think his kickoffs are "tiring him out" for his field goals. That has got to be the dumbest theory EVER floated.

4-6 kickoffs a game, 4-6 FG's PAT's. OK - this is the Dolphins - 1-2 FG's and maybe 1 PAT if we are lucky.

Sounds like the easiest job on planet earth to me. All you have to do is kick a ball 70 yards down the middle, and make sure it goes through the upright from up to 55 yards away. Count me in! Easiest job on planet earth.

Oh, and top that off with the fact that they aren't real athletes. When have you ever read anything about a kickers conditioning.

Peyton Manning was right - he has enough to worry about without his "idiot kicker" spouting off at the mouth about their team. Kickers just need to shut the hell up and kick the damn ball.

Ridiculous thread here.

I don't know where all this came from, but here goes:

1. Where did I say anything about Mare getting tired? I guess I wasn't clear enough in what I was trying to point out, but I already admitted I'm no expert. :rolleyes:

My point centered more around mechanics. There is one set of mechanics required to kick FG's and a completely different set of mechanics required to kick kickoffs and I wonder if Mare didn't screw something up in this area.

2. Regardless of your opinion of the importance of kickers, with the possibility that the Dolphins offense will return to it's 2000/2001 form, a good kicker is vital. There is a reason Mare broke the NFL record for number of FGs in a season back then, because our offense constantly came up short and if that happens again this year Mare will again play an important role.

Believe me, if we had Indy's offense, I wouldn't worry about it, but last time I checked we didn't have Indy's offense. :shakeno:

While I will agree kicking isn't the hardest aspect of football, I'm going to just shake my head when you say that kickers aren't athletes.

If they aren't in shape a few kicks will kill their leg muscles, hamstrings, etc. While they don't have to be in the shape of other positions of football, it's still a necessity.

calmlikeabomb said:
Believe me, if we had Indy's offense, I wouldn't worry about it, but last time I checked we didn't have Indy's offense. :shakeno:
Yeah, and how many FG's did Vanderjerk miss last year? What was it - ZERO!!!

I'm quite sure that Vanderjerk won a couple of games for Indy just based on making FG's. How about the Tampa game, the Carolina game...

Need I go on?

Our idiot kicker missed his several opportunities to put games away for us. Where would the Dolphins have done if they had kicked the winning field goal in certain games where they missed them?

The New England game just glares out at me. How different would last season have been if we had had Vanderjerk kicking for us? The stuff dreams are made of my friend.

baracuda said:

Ridiculous thread here.
what team do you kick for?

baracuda said:
Yeah, and how many FG's did Vanderjerk miss last year? What was it - ZERO!!!

I'm quite sure that Vanderjerk won a couple of games for Indy just based on making FG's. How about the Tampa game, the Carolina game...

Need I go on?

Our idiot kicker missed his several opportunities to put games away for us. Where would the Dolphins have done if they had kicked the winning field goal in certain games where they missed them?

The New England game just glares out at me. How different would last season have been if we had had Vanderjerk kicking for us? The stuff dreams are made of my friend.

Ok, can you contradict yourself any more here?

First you argue that discussing kickers at all is ridiculous, then you argue the importance of Vanderjagt to the Colts and say that Vanderjagt would have gotten us into the playoffs. :confused:

So which is it? Are kickers so meaningless that they don't even merit discussion, or are they so important that they can mean the difference between making or not making the playoffs.

He Need To Have Big Year For Us.. I'm Thinking A Lot Long Field Goals.. Like 42 To 48 Yrds.. He Has To Be On The $$$

Olindo was a little shaky last year, but maybe this year he'll have a better year, you never know.

Back
Top Bottom