Aaron Curry invites leukemia survivor to NFL draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Aaron Curry invites leukemia survivor to NFL draft

JimToss

Thank You Chad Pennington
Reaction score
Hey guys.
This definately doesn't belong in the main forum, but I am going to put it here because it is a breath of fresh air.
With all the talk of positive drug tests, questionable charecter, and players shooting themselves in the legs, its great to hear about a story like this, on a guy really being a great role model.
I do not care where Aaron Curry goes in this draft, he will have a fan in me.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=4068223http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gLd5cr3f2Jh9tZPppaVRsbbMUohw

Curry wound up at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn., on Monday. In a prearranged meeting set up by his agent and hospital officials, Curry told wide-eyed, 12-year-old Bryson Merriweather he wanted a tour of the place.
The boy had spent the better part of two years there undergoing five rounds of chemotherapy for leukemia, which is now in remission.
"We were acting like he was just taking me on a regular tour around the hospital," Curry said. "Toward the end we ended up outside tossing each other a football and I just started talking about the draft.
"He said he had seen it and I was telling him that I had been invited and if he would join me in this experience. So I said, 'So come to New York with me and get drafted into the NFL."'
So joining Curry's mother, fiancee and siblings at his draft table on April 25 will be Bryson, the Madison, Ala., boy who is determined to play football again - and get more people to be bone marrow donors.

Hey guys.
This definately doesn't belong in the main forum, but I am going to put it here because it is a breath of fresh air.
With all the talk of positive drug tests, questionable charecter, and players shooting themselves in the legs, its great to hear about a story like this, on a guy really being a great role model.
I do not care where Aaron Curry goes in this draft, he will have a fan in me.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gLd5cr3f2Jh9tZPppaVRsbbMUohw

Dude's all class and the best player in this draft. I hope he has a long & successful NFL career.

He didn't do it, his agent did, but it is refreshing

they have Curry quoted as saying he invited him:

"We were acting like he was just taking me on a regular tour around the hospital," Curry said. "Toward the end we ended up outside tossing each other a football and I just started talking about the draft.
"He said he had seen it and I was telling him that I had been invited and if he would join me in this experience. So I said, 'So come to New York with me and get drafted into the NFL."'

so why do you say his agent did?

From what I can tell, it looks like the agent arranged for Curry to go to the hospital, but that's it.

Hard to say what it's motivated by, obviously as you can't know a man's heart, but it was an awful nice thing to do.

have they listed who else was invited besides him?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9443866/NFL-invites-nine-rookie-prospects-to-draft

Nine of the top prospects are heading to New York City for the April 25 selection process, a source told FOXSports.com. The list includes three tackles (Baylor's Jason Smith, Virginia's Eugene Monroe and Mississippi's Michael Oher), two quarterbacks (Georgia's Matthew Stafford and Kansas State's Josh Freeman), two linebackers (Wake Forest's Aaron Curry and Southern Cal's Brian Cushing), Texas Tech wide receiver Michael Crabtree and Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo.

This just makes me wish we were in the position to pick him even more.

great story, but LMAO at freeman.....we could see our first invitie waiting til round 2? hes going to embarrass himself..

How cheesy. I wonder if he ever invited those kids to his football games. Probably not since it wouldn't skyrocket his draft status.

Oh well the kid will enjoy it so who cares.

Back
Top Bottom