Aaron Hernandez - TE, Florida | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Aaron Hernandez - TE, Florida

Ozfin77

Starter
Reaction score
What do you guys think of him and would you be happy to see him in our uniform?

I realise he's a Junior, but I think he's someone we should be keeping an eye on; a) for his football abilities but also; b) for his latino origins...

He could become a real role model and "draw card" in a Dolphins uniform. With the FO trying to embrace and bring the hispanic people of South Florida to Landshark Stadium a guy such a Aaron could assist with this.

What do you see his strengths/weaknessess being?

Talk to me!

Stud.

Urban Meyer doesn't normally like to over-utilize a TE in his system. That's how good Aaron is.
I would say his weaknesses would be his size and blocking ability. If I'm not mistaken, I think he's only 6'2" (even though out of HS listed at 6'4"). However, his strengths are that he's an unbelievable route runner and catcher. He was rated the #1 TE coming out of HS a few years back.

Like Louis Murphy last year, I think he's going to be a STEAL after Round #1. I'm trying not to be biased because I'm a huge Gator fan...I'm plenty down on other Gator NFL hopefuls...but for Aaron, I'm very high on him. I think he'd be an absolute fantastic addition to the Dolphins squad.

Not a blocker, doubt Parcells will want much to do with him.

No. Can't block. If we're going to get a TE Dennis Pitta is better and Jimmy Graham has much higher potential.

Everyone on here complains about not having good receiving options. Aaron is an outstanding receiving option. Maybe not a Parcells guy, but with this offense, don't you think having a TE who can actually run routes and make plays benefit the team more? Obviously not my call to make though, lol.

I personally pull my hair out everytime Henning calls a fullback screen. I don't want to even imagine the amount of TE screens he'll call with this guy.

No. Can't block. If we're going to get a TE Dennis Pitta is better and Jimmy Graham has much higher potential.

Dennis Pitta can't block on the line any better than Aaron Hernandez, really.

But I agree that this staff won't take Hernandez if he can't block an NFL sized Defensive End.

Gresham can. They would draft him in the first round depending on who else was available.

I don't think these guys would have any particular interest in Hernandez....even though I love the way he catches the football and runs like a WR in space and avoiding would be tacklers...

He's too short for a Parcells tight end...and blocks better on the move than in line....I think he's more of an H-back type....but he could be lethal in an offense like the Colts with Peyton....split him out at WR and get him matched up on a linebacker, etc..

I'm not at all a fan of BYU kids that do 2 year Mormon missions and have inflated stats due to the offense they play in and being older than their competiton...

Pitta will be old for a rookie....and is a knock off version of Chase Coffman IMO.....who I also didn't like......basically the TE version of John Beck...

I do like the way Pitta immediately gets his shoulders turned upfield and runs through contact....but he's more physically tapped out than his competition due to age....I don't think he's nearly as effective in the NFL...

he would be one hell of a receiving threat but he's not a great blocker. parcells typically doesn't go for undersized TE's with problems blocking - but i'd love to have him in miami.

I don't think these guys would have any particular interest in Hernandez....even though I love the way he catches the football and runs like a WR in space and avoiding would be tacklers...

He's too short for a Parcells tight end...and blocks better on the move than in line....I think he's more of an H-back type....but he could be lethal in an offense like the Colts with Peyton....split him out at WR and get him matched up on a linebacker, etc..

I'm not at all a fan of BYU kids that do 2 year Mormon missions and have inflated stats due to the offense they play in and being older than their competiton...

Pitta will be old for a rookie....and is a knock off version of Chase Coffman IMO.....who I also didn't like......basically the TE version of John Beck...

I do like the way Pitta immediately gets his shoulders turned upfield and runs through contact....but he's more physically tapped out than his competition due to age....I don't think he's nearly as effective in the NFL...

Fully agree on all points.

Keep in mind it's not just about good blocker, great blocker, not so good blocker, etc. You either can be counted on to block a Defensive End on the line, or you're not going to be a Dolphin. That's pretty much the standard. They rely on their TEs to be like tackles on some plays.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I thought there'd be a few who commented on the blocking side of things, but I'm sure it could be worked on.

I guess the name of the game is to score points and if a guy can catch and avoid tacklers then you need to weight up the positives against the negatives.

I'd love to see him in Miami....It'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

Dennis Pitta can't block on the line any better than Aaron Hernandez, really.

But I agree that this staff won't take Hernandez if he can't block an NFL sized Defensive End.

Gresham can. They would draft him in the first round depending on who else was available.
Which is true. But Dennis Pitta is also a more polished player imo.

Back
Top Bottom