? about Alex Barron | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

? about Alex Barron

WvFinFan

Starter
Reaction score
Hey guys quick ?

If Alex Barron were in last years draft. Were would he rank as an OL. Would he have projected better than Shaun Andrews or Vernon Carey. Thats the order they went last year. Philly traded up and STOLE Shaun Andrews from us and then i think we made a mistake takin Vernon Carey instead of Vince Wilfork. But anyway were do you think he would have projected compared to those two.

Left tackles run at a premium. Yes he would be above Andrews.

Refer to how the Bengals took Levi Jones early in 02 and it paid off.

One of the most athletic O-lineman ever to come out of college. It's the intangibles and a little bit of technique from what I have read that lead to him only being a top 10 to top 15 prospect. He probably would have been rated higher than Carey and Andrews.

i would love to have him if we traded down to the 10-13 range

I think value-wise, Barron is a top 10 pick. He has great swivvel, body movement and composure from a three-point stance. He's thick and solid and atheltic to boot. I'd rate him a lot higher than Andrews, and it almost goes without saying that he's better than Vernon.

Barron is a monster with a huge reach. He would have easily of been rated ahead of Andrews and Carey. His talent is on par with Gallery it's just the question mark of his desire to play. I personally think he will be a steal for the team that drafts him.

#84Fan4Life said:
Barron is a monster with a huge reach. He would have easily of been rated ahead of Andrews and Carey. His talent is on par with Gallery it's just the question mark of his desire to play. I personally think he will be a steal for the team that drafts him.

His physical talent might actually be better than Gallery's, just not quite as developed yet in the weight room.

thanks a lot guys, i wasnt real sure, i wouldnt mind havin him, but i think we need a franchise player to try to build the team around.

Gallery was rated as a top 5 talent. He would have been taken higher than Barron. Barron is equal to Gallery (maybe superior) in athletic terms, but Gallery showed a better and more consistent ability to put it all together (as well as showing more passion). Obviously I'm talking about Gallery as he appeared coming out of college. In hindsight, after seeing his rookie season, he may have been overrated.

Shawn Andrews was a top 10 talent but slipped because of concerns on his pass protection ability and due to team needs. However, Barron would have gone higher than Andrews because Barron is a LT where as Andrews is a RT (currently playing guard, but was projected at - and will eventually play - RT). He was known coming out as a smash mouth road grader. He was a player that had much less downside than Barron. However, again, LT's are much more valuable and it is VERY rare (can't remember the last one) for a guy projected to play Guard or Right Tackle to be taken top 15. So that is why Barron would have been picked higher -two different type of Linemen that really can't be compared to eachother, apples to oranges.

Vernon Carey was rated as a VERY late 1st/Early 2nd type player. He had alot of question marks. Came into UM very highly touted but was always inconsistent. When he got his weight in check, he could dominate, but most of the time he was too inconsistent. While he had played RT some at UM, he projected into a Guard/potential RT prospect. Too many question marks and he had yet to really put it together at the college level let alone show that he was ready for the pro level. The idea was that he had alot of raw potential that, with a couple years of good coaching, could possibly turn into a VERY good pro in the mold of Larry Allen. I don't think anyone had him going before the very late 20's in mock drafts. Wanny reached pretty high once Andrews was off the board. Vernon was the type of player that should have been taken in the mid 2nd (IMO) and allowed to develop. He has a ton of upside but a ton of downside which is why he's not a 1st round talent. Similar to Chris Henry from this year in that there are alot of question marks and he'll take time but if he hits he hits big (you generally don't use a 1st on a guy like that). Barron would be taken far ahead of Carey last year, this year or any year. Moral of the story - be happy Wanny is gone.

That's not to say Carey won't develop into a Pro Bowl O-Lineman (I don't think it will be at LT). But even if he does, it was still stupid to take a guy like that so high. It's the equivalent of taking Matt Jones this year with a top 5 pick because of his upside. I think it's dumb even if he does turn out to be a pro bowler (now late 1st/early 2nd is fine because Matt has "once in a lifetime" type numbers so he's worth a bit more of a gamble than Carey who, again I would have valued as a mid 2nd.)

Sorry for the lengthy response.

If we do trade down into the Alex Barron area (10-14), I hope we pick up a 1st for 2006. That will give us 2 1st's in 2006 (including our own) which puts us in a perfect position to land one of the top LT's in 2006. Ferguson and Eric Winston are both much higher on my board than Barron.

Jaj said:
His physical talent might actually be better than Gallery's, just not quite as developed yet in the weight room.
I think that is a push...

but I'm suprised that given the 'weakness' of this draft that Barron is not a firm top 10 pick.

I definitely think he would've been rated over Andrews and Carey in last years draft. He may end up being better than Gallery (who hasn't played up to his calibur yet but most rookie Tackles don't their first year) but he wouldn't have been rated better than Gallery in my honest opinion.

Gallery would have definitely rated higher for his ability to dominate. Barron can pass protect really well. Gallery can dominate in all phases. Upper body strength is on Gallery's side, lower body strength on Barron's side.

Barron is going to have to be coached a lot before he turns into a finished product. And I really really like him (I have him rated the #6 talent in the draft). Gallery should have been almost a finished product immediately, but I question the Raiders' coaching job last year (I never have thought of Norv Turner as a good head coach).

Above everyone except for Gallery Andrews and Carey where not half as good compared to Barron.

I still think trading down is the best bet, since with a 10ish pick and 15ish pick we can get a Big 3RB and Barron... smashing success.

Back
Top Bottom