Reaction score
I see some poeple are high on Phillip RIvers in a Dolphin
uniform next year.

The Great Blue Draft Report currently has him listed as the
82nd best player in the draft next year. Of course that will
change come draft time. But why is he so low now if he is
so Great? I thing I will say is that all of these QB's are very
tall.

Here is their list of top QB's in their top 200 list.

Ed note: Players indicated with an * are underclassman. Obviously not all underclassmen who could enter the 2004 draft and would rank within the top 150 prospects have been included below; only those considered most likely to enter the upcoming draft have been included. Other underclassmen who would conceivably be highly ranked include - juniors unless noted otherwise...

3) Eli Manning QB 6-4, 210 Mississippi
39) J.P. Losman QB 6-3, 215 Tulane
85) John Navarre QB 6-6, 235 Michigan
75) Cody Pickett QB 6-4, 220 Washington
82) Phillip Rivers QB 6-5, 235 North Carolina State
92) Jared Lorenzon QB 6-4, 275 Kentucky
103) B.J. Symons QB 6-2, 215 Texas Tech
190) Luke McCown QB 6-4, 200 Louisiana Tech
192) Jeff Smoker QB 6-4, 225 Michigan State

GREAT BLUE NORTH 'BIG BOARD'
TOP PROSPECTS FOR 2004
November 24, 2003

http://www.gbnreport.com/2004top100.htm

Two weeks ago I saw Mel Kiper move Rivers into his top 25. He is on the rise. Rivers is 6'5" 235 lbs., has a 71% completion percentage, 29 TDs only 7 int (2 against Ohio State), and plays behind an average line at best. He also had major negatives working against him this year (top OLman hurt for year, starting WR out for year, starting RB injured most of year as well). He has the quickest release I've seen since Dan "The Man" himself and will be a superstar in this league. He is kind of a mix between Marino and Kosar (low release point, needs to work on his footwork). I personally covet this guy and believe him to be the next great QB in the NFL. He will be a steal for whoever drafts him. He will probably last until the end of the first round. I've seen him play four times this year, and this guy is definitely something special. Mark my words.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all this guy is from Canada LOL j/k. No, I see all kinds of problems with this report. No way possible Navarre goes ahead of Rivers. They also don't even list the #2-3 QB prospect Ben Roethlisberger (Mia, OH) who is a projected first round pick as well. It's very likely Roethlisberger leaves this year, why leave him off?? (I read the little note, but several other juniors are included). I think it will go Manning, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Losman. This is my opinion, but believe me it's closer than the GBN board will be!!!

Here is what the full "Note" said. I didn't want to copy the whole article...

EDIT: But you did. :tongue: Muck

I read the full article. Roethlisberger IS projected to leave after this year. Several other juniors were included. He should be as well. He is a projected top 15 pick on several other draft boards. My point being, check out some other boards besides just this GBN board. He is up on alot of boards and down on others. We'll know alot more after the combine.

I'm not expecting Rivers to go high, but you have to watch ESPN. About once a week I hear somebody on staff say Rivers is playing better than any other QB in the NCAA. That said, he holds the ball low, and has a low release point, come Combine time I think he'll slip back down a few notches. His arm is good enough for the NFL, but he doesn't have a cannon. The real question will be on the release..will they want to take him and change it, putting his accuracy at risk? Or will they keep it the same, and hope he doesn't get a lot of them batted down? I doubt anyone will take a chance on him high, but a lot of people will look for him in the mid to low first round. Then again, there''s only 4 teams I can think of that would take a gamble QB with their first pick. I'm from RTP, and I want Rivers to succeed, so we'll see what happens.

On every draft site I've been to Rivers is ranked #6 or worse QB in the upcoming draft. His knocks are arm strength and poor mechanics. Teams will not take a risk on such a high profile position in the first round. If a team is desperate for a Q.B. and risks taking Rivers the coach's job would be at stake. Owners do not give coaching staffs the time to groom high profile position players.

I think he will be drafted in the 2nd-3rd round, go around as a back-up/3rd stringer for a few years and maybe (if lucky) break out on some team 5 years from now.

I've heard from some sites that he is a projected 3rd rounder and hecould really help us out there.

Rivers is projected a 3rd-rounder right now by Kiper, who's draft board appears AT the draft on the bottom of the screen. We have no shot at Eli, so it's either Losman or a WR.

I doubt he'll drop to the 3rd round, a lot of people think he'll be big. it's a pity we don't have a second rounder this year, that's where I think Rivers will go, but in the 3rd round, he'd be a gem.

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84
Rivers is projected a 3rd-rounder right now by Kiper, who's draft board appears AT the draft on the bottom of the screen. We have no shot at Eli, so it's either Losman or a WR.

Kiper has just moved Rivers up into his Big Board (top 25 Seniors) this past week. This means he is a late first- second round projection. No way in h@ll he lasts until the third round. I would give you the link, but it's on ESPN Insider and you can't get there.
I personally covet this guy and believe he will be a great one. I don't disagree with WR in the first, but I'm saying if Ogun leaves RFA, we can get both. That would be awesome!!!! I think QB order will: 1. Eli 2. Roethlisberger 3. Rivers 4. Losman (just my opinion)

Rivers will be a first round pick.....i think alot of those projections are old. Things change....At this point last year Kyle Boller was expected to be a mid-round pick....and Chris Simms was a projected late first-early 2nd round pick. Boller went in the first, Simms in the fourth. Alot will change between now and draft day.

Back
Top Bottom