? about the supplemental draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

? about the supplemental draft

albyfinfan

go fins
Reaction score
sorry if this is in the wrong place but i had a ? about the supplemental draft

how does this thing work.
do we pick in the same order as the last draft, and ive read that we give up a pick in next years draft i wanted to know what round is the pick taken from

if anyone could help me out wth this would be great
thanx

I've been trying to find the answer to this myself actually...

Ok it's not too complicated...It's a su-pp-lemental draft

Which means it's almost like Ebay like a bidding process...

If we want to get Manuel Wright for example, and we offer him a 4th round draft pick and we acquire him through the draft process, in next year's draft, we won't have a 4th round pick anymore.
Questions, Concerns, Comments, Let me know !!!!

what if 2 teams offer the same round pick? Do they use last years draft order or what?

BenchFiedler said:
Ok it's not too complicated...It's a su-pp-lemental draft

Which means it's almost like Ebay like a bidding process...

If we want to get Manuel Wright for example, and we offer him a 4th round draft pick and we acquire him through the draft process, in next year's draft, we won't have a 4th round pick anymore.
Questions, Concerns, Comments, Let me know !!!!
What if five teams all offer a 4th round supplemental pick? How does that work? Is it a case of first name out of a hat? What if one team offers a 2nd round pick and another team offers a 3rd round pick?

SCall13 said:
It does go by this past drafts order.
Kind of. If everyone offers a 4th rounder, then it's a lottery. Because Miami was the 31st best team in the NFL last year, we would get to enter our name 31 times while Philadelphia would only get to enter their name twice. We have pretty much the best chance of landing someone (unless of course, San Francisco wants him, they have a slight advantage).
That's what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong.

Teams are broken up into 4 catagories. Teams with 7 wins or less (i believe), teams with 7 wins or more that didn't make the playoffs, teams with 7 wins or more that made the playoffs, and teams that made the playoffs.

Then the first group of lossers (which we are in) get a chance to bid a 2006 draft choice for the player. I believe it is done silent auction style. You say "i'll give a 4th round pick next year for player X". If everyone in our pool bids a 4th rounder, it goes by draft order, so SF would be #1, and then Miami #2. If someone in that pool bid a 3rd round pick and everyone else a 4th, then the player goes to that team automaticly. If no one in that pool put in a bid, it goes to the next pool of teams.

That is pretty much how it works. My explanation my not be exact, but that is the basics.

This article is from '02, and I do not think the NFL has changed the rules since.

NFL Supplemental Draft

It says they go by the draft order.

Nowadays it still works the same way, but instead of pulling names out of a hat, the NFL uses the previous year's draft order. The Bengals will get the first chance to pick someone from this year's pool.

thanx guys,... i gotta tell ya fin fans are the sh*** u guys r awsome thanx

:up:

popularwar said:
Kind of. If everyone offers a 4th rounder, then it's a lottery. Because Miami was the 31st best team in the NFL last year, we would get to enter our name 31 times while Philadelphia would only get to enter their name twice. We have pretty much the best chance of landing someone (unless of course, San Francisco wants him, they have a slight advantage).
That's what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong.

Close
its a 3 stage weighted lottery. All teams that have 6 wins or less are in the first stage....remaining non playoff teams are in the 2nd stage.......playoff teams are in the 3rd stage. The worst draft position Miami can have in the supplemental draft is 12th. The best draft position Philly can have is 21st.

With a little more digging I found this from '04

The guys that said it was 3 tier were correct.

As for supplemental draft procedures, this is straight from the folks at NFL headquarters who would oversee such a draft: Each club’s draft position is weighted by assigning the weakest club the greatest number of lottery chances and the strongest club the fewest number. Team strength and weakness will be determined by the original order of the first round of the prior to the April draft and before any trades (i.e., the weakest club, which from the 2003 season is the San Diego Chargers, will have its name in the drawing 32 times, the next weakest 31 times, etc., until the Super Bowl winner, which would have its name in once).

There is a three-step drawing process that works in the following order:

1. Teams that won six or fewer games in the prior regular season are placed together in a container and drawn to determine the initial arrangement of places in the selection order;

2. The remaining non-playoff teams are placed together in a container and drawn to determine their places following those determined in the first drawing;

3. Playoff teams are placed together in a container and drawn to determine the remaining places in the selection order.

Q & A with Vic Carucci

Back
Top Bottom