about what time will the dolphins be picking? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

about what time will the dolphins be picking?

frady2001

Rookie
Reaction score
i cant watch the whole draft and was kinda wonderin about when the phins will be picking. i understand that there are many variables but could anyone give me an idea.

I would say that it will probably be about 3.5 to 4.5 hours into the draft. It can't really be more than 4.75 hours in because each team only gets 15 minutes.

If a team trades a pick though....the new team gets a new 15 minutes on the clock. So, its hard to pinpoint an exact length of time. However, according to the NFL...last year's first round lasted 4 hours and 58 minutes. If this year's goes at a similar pace (and Miami doesn't trade down)...we should be picking about 3-3.5 hours into the draft. If there's one thing I've learned about the draft though....its don't count on anything. There is no way to set an alarm clock for our pick.

dean_siu said:
If a team trades a pick though....the new team gets a new 15 minutes on the clock. So, its hard to pinpoint an exact length of time. However, according to the NFL...last year's first round lasted 4 hours and 58 minutes. If this year's goes at a similar pace (and Miami doesn't trade down)...we should be picking about 3-3.5 hours into the draft. If there's one thing I've learned about the draft though....its don't count on anything. There is no way to set an alarm clock for our pick.
Are you sure that's true? If a teams trades up to a spot, they know EXACTLY who they want, so they make their choice immediately. From watching the draft in the past, first Tagliabue announces the trade, then announces the who pick is immediately after. I think that's how it works.

LIQUID24 said:
Are you sure that's true? If a teams trades up to a spot, they know EXACTLY who they want, so they make their choice immediately. From watching the draft in the past, first Tagliabue announces the trade, then announces the who pick is immediately after. I think that's how it works.
I kind of remember it the same way you do. I do not remember a trade and then the new team getting a new 15... That is why they trade. I thought the rule is that spot in the draft (not the team picking there) was given 15min!?

Oboy said:
I kind of remember it the same way you do. I do not remember a trade and then the new team getting a new 15... That is why they trade. I thought the rule is that spot in the draft (not the team picking there) was given 15min!?
That's what I think. For example, if a team trades up to a spot with 3 minutes left, then they only have 3 minutes left to make the their pick, not 15. I could be wrong though...

I think they do get a new 15, but the key is that they have made the trade to get a guy. That traditionally means that they pull the trigger immediately. While I'm sure there is some padding in a few cases just to let the guy about to be picked get hyped up by ESPN, I bet that there is actually a lot of behind the scenes work going on during that 15 minutes that takes up the time. We're talking trades, last minute arguments among those involved about why maybe x is better than y after all, and the like. It's not like they just want to take as long as possible for the hell of it -- the sooner it's done, the sooner they get out of the war room.

They do a get a new 15....however, they often only use about 30 seconds to complete the pick. Sometimes, they will wait though to see if they have possibilities to move it to another team for something even more attractive.

If the Raiders move the second pick and some team makes a pick other than Gallery....look for this draft to take all sorts of strange twists and last a long, long time.

Back
Top Bottom