ACCURATE Ginn Jr. Evaluation from TSN | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ACCURATE Ginn Jr. Evaluation from TSN

calmrage

Calmrage A.K.A. Jay Lawrence
Reaction score
Ted Ginn Jr.
WR, Ohio State War Room analysis
Post-draft analysis: Coach Cam Cameron passed on Brady Quinn (smart move) and grabbed the most explosive offensive player in the draft. While Ginn will need work to become a better route runner, Cameron is a very creative offensive coach who will find ways to take advantage of Ginn's natural talent even before he becomes a polished receiver. Additionally, Ginn will instantly upgrade the Dolphins’ return game and help them win the field-position battle. This pick may be a shock, but in time it will be viewed as one of the best picks in the top 10.
Hands: Shows terrific hands, but must learn to secure the ball. Drops way too many passes. Must better judge flight of punts. Tends to muff punts that are not tough catches. Grade: 6.5
Patterns: Runs raw, undisciplined routes but atones by getting separation with rare explosiveness out of cuts. Is most dangerous on "post" and "corner" routes. Has the explosiveness and speed to run away from defenders downfield. Grade: 6.5
Run after catch: Is dangerous in the open field. Shows the quickness and agility to make would-be tackler whiff. Shows the burst to get through holes in a flash and the speed to run away from everybody. Despite thin frame, shows the balance and athleticism to absorb hits and keep on going. Grade: 9.0
Release: Lacks polish, but has the quick footwork, agility and explosiveness to drive off line and reach full speed in a flash. Can be jolted with a quick jam, but shows the athleticism to usually avoid contact and get into his route. Is blink-quick; trying to jam him is risky because he can beat it and run away from the cornerback. Grade: 8.0
Blocking: Doesn't work hard consistently. Lacks the bulk and strength to attack and stay on target. Grade: 6.5
Bottom line: Ginn is a game-changing player, but he must improve his skills to become an elite NFL receiver. That will take time, but he will contribute as a rookie. With work and discipline, he will become a big-time playmaker.

Vinnie Iyer analysis
I'm a huge fan of Ginn. I love the fact he can spark both Miami's passing game under Cam Cameron in multiple-receiver sets and compensate for the loss of Wes Welker in the return game. This makes me more confident that the Dolphins will get a deal done for Trent Green as their quarterback of the present, release Daunte Culpepper and then line up Cleo Lemon as their quarterback of the future.

Correspondent Analysis

It it shouldn't be any shock the Dolphins were so enamored by Ginn. GM Randy Mueller has long been a fan of speed, and Ginn might be the fastest player in the draft. Ginn will be called upon immediately in the wake of Wes Welker's departure. He'll also be a serious threat as a kick and punt returner -- also responsibilities held by Welker. -- Jeff Darlington

Line up Cleo as the QB of the future? wow, that must have been after our first round pick but before the second round, 'cause Lemon will always be a backup, and Beck is our future.

whole buncha folks won't want to hear any of this... they are to dedicated to hysteria

bottom line Calmrage, we did GOOD this weekend but all the doubters and haters won't come around until Cam's plan works and not before.

Ted Ginn Jr.
Post-draft analysis: Coach Cam Cameron passed on Brady Quinn (smart move) and grabbed the most explosive offensive player in the draft. While Ginn will need work to become a better route runner, Cameron is a very creative offensive coach who will find ways to take advantage of Ginn's natural talent even before he becomes a polished receiver. Additionally, Ginn will instantly upgrade the Dolphins’ return game and help them win the field-position battle. This pick may be a shock, but in time it will be viewed as one of the best picks in the top 10.
Hands: Shows terrific hands, but must learn to secure the ball. Drops way too many passes. Must better judge flight of punts. Tends to muff punts that are not tough catches. Grade: 6.5
Patterns: Runs raw, undisciplined routes but atones by getting separation with rare explosiveness out of cuts. Is most dangerous on "post" and "corner" routes. Has the explosiveness and speed to run away from defenders downfield. Grade: 6.5
Run after catch: Is dangerous in the open field. Shows the quickness and agility to make would-be tackler whiff. Shows the burst to get through holes in a flash and the speed to run away from everybody. Despite thin frame, shows the balance and athleticism to absorb hits and keep on going. Grade: 9.0
Release: Lacks polish, but has the quick footwork, agility and explosiveness to drive off line and reach full speed in a flash. Can be jolted with a quick jam, but shows the athleticism to usually avoid contact and get into his route. Is blink-quick; trying to jam him is risky because he can beat it and run away from the cornerback. Grade: 8.0
Blocking: Doesn't work hard consistently. Lacks the bulk and strength to attack and stay on target. Grade: 6.5
Bottom line: Ginn is a game-changing player, but he must improve his skills to become an elite NFL receiver. That will take time, but he will contribute as a rookie. With work and discipline, he will become a big-time playmaker.

Vinnie Iyer analysis
I'm a huge fan of Ginn. I love the fact he can spark both Miami's passing game under Cam Cameron in multiple-receiver sets and compensate for the loss of Wes Welker in the return game. This makes me more confident that the Dolphins will get a deal done for Trent Green as their quarterback of the present, release Daunte Culpepper and then line up Cleo Lemon as their quarterback of the future.

Correspondent Analysis

It it shouldn't be any shock the Dolphins were so enamored by Ginn. GM Randy Mueller has long been a fan of speed, and Ginn might be the fastest player in the draft. Ginn will be called upon immediately in the wake of Wes Welker's departure. He'll also be a serious threat as a kick and punt returner -- also responsibilities held by Welker. -- Jeff Darlington

Just ask Ross, check the video about 00:50 seconds

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JXHSLAqgsMI

i loveeeeeeeee it, i hope taht we prove everyone wrong and that quin ends up being a bust and ginn is a elite wide out

Ross got hung out to dry by his safety, who didn't come over to help...
He got the push inside he was looking for, and the safety never slid over.

He's fast, but a guy with butterfingers and an iffy QB doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence.

Ted Ginn Jr.

Vinnie Iyer analysis

Correspondent Analysis

Great article. I'll be the first to admit I was shocked then PISSED that we passed on Quinn and took Ginn. Hell, I STILL haven't fully gotten used to that, but the article is a good read, and seems to be very un-biased in either direction. I'm still wary of it, mainly because I was never a Ginn supporter in the first place, so it will take me awhile to come around to it, but I definately hope he performs as everyone says, because as a Dolphins fan it is my duty to support him, even if I don't necessarily agree.

When the regular season starts and Ginn can't line up to play, you won't be so happy. I hope he recovers 100% but Kevin Jones has the same sprain and they say it can be career ending. I hope he heals then everything we'll be OK. Of course our offensive tackle situation is still a mess but who cares, we're not dropping back to pass!

mortensen went off today showing clips of Ginn toasting Ross and Hall to validate why we picked him because people were seriously over-reacting due to Brady Bonanza

When the regular season starts and Ginn can't line up to play, you won't be so happy.

It's 100 % certain he'll be ready this season so long as his injury is handled properly... Mueller said he's got about a month... we've got more than 4 months.. so as long as we're careful before Training camp he'll be ready.
Remember he ran a 4.40 a few weeks ago.

I'm excited to see what his speed can do for our offense. His direct results, and the help to the running game because the safety will have to play back.

Ted Ginn Jr.

Vinnie Iyer analysis

Correspondent Analysis

Huh? So which is it, he has terrific hands or he drops too many passes?

The majority of this review talks about the advantage a fast (healthy) Ginn has over defenders. They do not mention that he is not healthy, may not be for 3 months, and that his lis franc injury may hamper him for 6 months even if they treat it properly. I expect the front office will benefit from last year's smoke screen exercise in covering up Culpepper's injury status.

Great article. I'll be the first to admit I was shocked then PISSED that we passed on Quinn and took Ginn. Hell, I STILL haven't fully gotten used to that, but the article is a good read, and seems to be very un-biased in either direction. I'm still wary of it, mainly because I was never a Ginn supporter in the first place, so it will take me awhile to come around to it, but I definately hope he performs as everyone says, because as a Dolphins fan it is my duty to support him, even if I don't necessarily agree.

i feel the same way Agent, you have summed up my feelings very well.

but it is getting tougher, with so much data to build the opposing argument on, to stay quiet. and it keeps getting deeper year after year.

does Jason Allen last year ring a bell with anyone? i would like to lay that all on Saban, but Mueller was GM and had to have some sway.

how can i have blind faith in the organization when the owner has shown a penchant for hiring absolute jokes for head coaches (Wannstedt and Saban) giving one way too much time, and not seeing what everyone in sports saw in Saban; a mercenary out for money?

and then to hear that Ginn has 6 weeks in an air cast followed by 6 weeks rehab to do before he can even start getting in football shape, or working with the offense, or learning to run better routes. he will be lucky to be ready for week 1, from an injury he got on January 5th.

but i am trying to keep the faith.

Back
Top Bottom