Adam Gase's attention to detail fuels Dolphins' culture change | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Adam Gase's attention to detail fuels Dolphins' culture change

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ntion-to-detail-fuels-dolphins-culture-change

"We're trying to put last year behind us while also learning from it," Gase said. "We learned a lot about guys because almost every game came down to the fourth quarter and we had to make plays. People can call it luck, but there's no such thing. You create your own luck. We found out when it gets tight, who will step up. And we had a lot of guys with no experience step up and make plays. When we get into difficult times, my confidence will be up."

Gase is referring to the fact that Miami won eight games by seven points or less. Even with the Dolphins playing a last-place schedule, those types of numbers do speak to the mental toughness he instilled in a relatively short time. He's also well aware of the main reasons why the Pittsburgh Steelers dominated them in a 30-12 AFC wild-card loss. As good as the Dolphins were in the clutch, they also made the kind of mistakes that can keep a young, talented team from reaching its full potential.

This explains the amount of time Gase and his staff have devoted this offseason to showing players how seemingly small errors can have a profound impact in big games. In that loss to Pittsburgh alone, two blown assignments cost them a shot at a possible 14 points.

"We've really been focusing on attention to details," Dolphins wide receiver Kenny Stills said. "We looked at a lot of the mistakes we made last year, and we realized that sometimes you have to be put in a certain positon to learn from a mistake. We did a really good job of going through the mistakes we made last season and correcting them. We've made a big emphasis on the idea that (one) person's mistake is everyone's mistake."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ntion-to-detail-fuels-dolphins-culture-change

"We're trying to put last year behind us while also learning from it," Gase said. "We learned a lot about guys because almost every game came down to the fourth quarter and we had to make plays. People can call it luck, but there's no such thing. You create your own luck. We found out when it gets tight, who will step up. And we had a lot of guys with no experience step up and make plays. When we get into difficult times, my confidence will be up."

Gase is referring to the fact that Miami won eight games by seven points or less. Even with the Dolphins playing a last-place schedule, those types of numbers do speak to the mental toughness he instilled in a relatively short time. He's also well aware of the main reasons why the Pittsburgh Steelers dominated them in a 30-12 AFC wild-card loss. As good as the Dolphins were in the clutch, they also made the kind of mistakes that can keep a young, talented team from reaching its full potential.

This explains the amount of time Gase and his staff have devoted this offseason to showing players how seemingly small errors can have a profound impact in big games. In that loss to Pittsburgh alone, two blown assignments cost them a shot at a possible 14 points.

"We've really been focusing on attention to details," Dolphins wide receiver Kenny Stills said. "We looked at a lot of the mistakes we made last year, and we realized that sometimes you have to be put in a certain positon to learn from a mistake. We did a really good job of going through the mistakes we made last season and correcting them. We've made a big emphasis on the idea that (one) person's mistake is everyone's mistake."

"Attention to details" did not cost us the Steelers game. It was pretty clear we lost because:

A. Our starting QB was not playing.
B. Reshad Jones was not playing.
C. IAQ was not playing.
D. Mike Pouncey was not playing.
E. Kiko played with one hand.
F. The remaining linebackers sucked - as they did all 16 games prior.
G. There were other players out as well, but no need to keep this list going.

Even at full health we may have lost though as the team FAILED TO PICK UP/DRAFT ANY STARTING LB's last off-season other than Kiko.

KC already beat me on the Steelers game, but i want to add a couple of comments. First, this won't be a 'new' system. That, by itself, will eliminate some mistakes. Second, teams don't go from from bad to good in a season. It's a process. I suspect most long-suffering fans know step one is winning the games they SHOULD win. Step 2 is winning close games. Miami accomplished both of those. I had reached the point, for example, when in last year's Bills OT game, I turned it off at the end of regulation. I "knew" Miami couldn't win that game. I was proven wrong. Yes, details are important. yes, mistakes need to be eliminated. But there was significant progress last year in the team psych. It's palpable this year.

"Attention to details" did not cost us the Steelers game. It was pretty clear we lost because:

A. Our starting QB was not playing.
B. Reshad Jones was not playing.
C. IAQ was not playing.
D. Mike Pouncey was not playing.
E. Kiko played with one hand.
F. The remaining linebackers sucked - as they did all 16 games prior.
G. There were other players out as well, but no need to keep this list going.

Even at full health we may have lost though as the team FAILED TO PICK UP/DRAFT ANY STARTING LB's last off-season other than Kiko.

How about the guy that held Antonio brown to 39 yards? He had 2 tds and 100 yards in 5 minutes in the playoffs.

Philbin was into details too - like who's shoelaces were untied, or how many gum wrappers were on the turf. Good to see Gase focused on the "right" details. I am a big believer in you have to learn from losing painful games to help you get to the next level. This team has the mental toughness- it showed it all year. It needs a little more big stage experience and a little more talent - let's hope the draft and FA get us over the hump where we can now make a run in the playoffs this year.

Back
Top Bottom