adam schefter on a.j. feeley | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

adam schefter on a.j. feeley

Dudeman said:
its amazing how many excuses the Feeley lovers can come up with.....

yeah, Saban knows whats been invested in AJ, but it sure as hell wasn't by him. The same principle goes for Wade Smith and Lamar Gordon. Rick spent first day picks on both, yet I dont see Saban penciling in Wade or Lamar to start. :shakeno:

In fact, Saban basically crapped on Gordon's head by drafting Brown and resigning Minor. Certainly a waste of a 3rd rounder.

I believe Wade was actually drafted with 2 picks. I think spielman moved up in the third to draft him.

Just because they were traded/drafted with high picks doesn't mean that they're destined for greatness, nor should they just be handed the keys to the castle.

Its amazing to me that people can actually say that they'd feel disgusted if Gus starts and it'd be a waste of a season. I would feel disgusted if AJ started if Gus played tremendously better than him in practice, preseason, and training camp-kind of like how people felt when Fiedler started over better QBs (Sage for example, who Wanny said had a better camp).

As Herm said, you play to win the games, and to do that you play the best QB, not the younger QB.

Kudos!

I really don't care who starts. Of course whomever performs better in camp should start, but it would to be honest, I would be disappointed if Feeley did not make it. He seems to have some talent. I do think that with a better oline, a running game, and an offensive scheme that works, he would make a much better QB than he showed last year. I just hate to say that Gus Frerotte is our starter!

Finz Fury said:
Saban knows what has been invested in Feeley and i'm sure he'll do everything in his power to have him ready to start. Frerotte is just an insurance plan because he knows the offense. I think with the new offensive weapons and with the hopes that the o-line improves, AJ will really step it up this year.

Saban doesn't care, he was not the man who naively gave up that high pick for Feeley.........it will not reflect badly on Saban at all if Feeley fails to win this job.

He will start the best QB regardless of mistakes made by Spielman.

As we most have said, Feeley haters or hugger (I hate both those terms), it's all in AJ's hands, if he fails he has no one else to blame.

Do any of you guys think that part of the reason Nick decided not to keep RS is becasuse AJ sucks? I am not saying he sucks, none of us know that yet....but maybe Nick already feels that way

If Gus plays much better then Feeley im all for him starting...but if its close i hope AJ gets the nod.

jd13 said:
schefter also said on nfl total access that he thought that with the hiring of randy mueller that gus frerotte has an advantage over feeley because nobody has ties to a.j. and gus played for linehan...plus a.j. is not a very good practice player...feeley will have to play decidedly better than frerotte to win the job...

Actually, Mueller was very high on AJ Feeley, not that he or Speilman would have had any input whatsoever on who starts. Frerotte will have an advantage simply because he knows the system and because he is a more established NFL QB at this point plain and simple. The hiring of Mueller as GM will have nothing to do with this position battle.

More great insight from beloved sports writers. :rolleyes:

abNORMal said:
Do any of you guys think that part of the reason Nick decided not to keep RS is becasuse AJ sucks? I am not saying he sucks, none of us know that yet....but maybe Nick already feels that way
Not because AJ sucks, but because RS gave too much for him. When you give a 2nd rounder you expect the person to be SOLID. AJ has not been that yet. Even when they brought him in... he needed to be 'developed'. You don't TRADE a 2nd rounder to develop someone. If you are going to develop someone, might as well use the 2nd rounder to DRAFT someone.

AJ still may turn out great. NO ONE knows yet. To anyone that says they KNOW for sure... then tell me the lotto numbers for this week. I don't want to work anymore! Anyway, back to the point... RS was let go bc he did not make smart business decisions. He was a pretty decent talent evaluator. Remember most of those players (Wade Smith) were taken by WANNY, not RS. Rick did not have the power until last year. But RS was still a terrible negotiator. He caves in too early in negotiations.

Oboy said:
Not because AJ sucks, but because RS gave too much for him. When you give a 2nd rounder you expect the person to be SOLID. AJ has not been that yet. Even when they brought him in... he needed to be 'developed'. You don't TRADE a 2nd rounder to develop someone. If you are going to develop someone, might as well use the 2nd rounder to DRAFT someone.

AJ still may turn out great. NO ONE knows yet. To anyone that says they KNOW for sure... then tell me the lotto numbers for this week. I don't want to work anymore! Anyway, back to the point... RS was let go bc he did not make smart business decisions. He was a pretty decent talent evaluator. Remember most of those players (Wade Smith) were taken by WANNY, not RS. Rick did not have the power until last year. But RS was still a terrible negotiator. He caves in too early in negotiations.

Thanx for the feedback...you make a lot of good points.

Finz Fury said:
Saban knows what has been invested in Feeley and i'm sure he'll do everything in his power to have him ready to start. Frerotte is just an insurance plan because he knows the offense. I think with the new offensive weapons and with the hopes that the o-line improves, AJ will really step it up this year.
What "spielman" invested on Feeley will have no bearing. Notice how he didn't care much for Spielman? Sure he will do whatever it takes to make AJ ready but the same goes for every other player on the team. If Gus ends up beating AJ , AJ could follow the guy that brought him here.

DonShula84 said:
We'll see once preseason comes around. I hope AJ starts, Gus isnt the future and we need to see what AJ can do with a good system around him. Starting Gus is a waste of time and a season imo.

Feeley isn' the future and we know what he can do or CAN'T do.

CD13 said:
You are right saying he has no ties. However, I cringe with the thought of Gus leading this team. I just can't get past the fact of him not really being successful yet in his career -- at his age. Same thing with Feeley, never been successful, maybe even less -- but he is younger and hasn't had the same chance. I really think we need to let Feeley start so we know what we got.
You don't just LET someone start. If Feeley doesn't earn it he will be holding the clipboard, plain and simple. The best Player will start, thats the way it's going to be and thats the way it should be. Feeley needs to grow up big time in the next 3 months, his skills are only slightly above average and his decision making has been very questionable, he needs to aquire those intangibles quickly or hit the road!

CD13 said:
You are right saying he has no ties. However, I cringe with the thought of Gus leading this team. I just can't get past the fact of him not really being successful yet in his career -- at his age. Same thing with Feeley, never been successful, maybe even less -- but he is younger and hasn't had the same chance. I really think we need to let Feeley start so we know what we got.

Gus! Not succesful! A pro bowl, most yards in a game in Denver history! Hitting Moss and others in stride on EVERY throw, even Peper boy has not done that. Moss said he thought the team would have been better w/Gus at qb. He liked Gus's deep ball much better than pep's. Viking fans' are 500:1 of any other fan here and they wanted Gus to stay the starter in a very large majority. Gus looked 100% better in the games he played w/ a worse team in the Vikes than Feely and the Eagles had when Feeley only managed the game and did little to help them win.

Gus can and will win the job from what I saw in Minny. If he looks as good as he did there, we will be a"FREAK SHOW"on offense.

abNORMal said:

You have to think that a large part of the decision on RS was based on his demonstrated talent evaluation ability. Saban's opinion of the job RS did in evaluating AJ had to be part of it.

Gus threw for 2751 starting in 11 games in his 2nd yr w/a 70.2 rating
3453 starting 16 games in yr 3 and a 79.3 rating
2682 in 13 games yr 4 w/a 73.8 rating

Back
Top Bottom