Addressing LB in this draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Addressing LB in this draft

jimthefin

Club Member
Reaction score
It seems obvious that Miami needs to find a MLB in this Draft.

It also looks like value does not really present itself at #14 and the group of ILB's is not particularly strong either.

So my question is this, does it make more sense for Miami to draft an OLB early (which looks to present much better value at #14)and leave Misi playing in the middle?

Misi is better at SSLB than inside but with Suh upfront the MLB's job should be a bit easier this year, not having to take on quite so many OL's before finding the ball carrier.

So would the Fins be better off taking a more talented OLB and playing Misi in the middle or 'reaching" a bit for a less talented ILB and moving Misi back to the strong side?

I think the idea should be to build the strongest LB corps possible so which situation would be better?

btw....I happen to like Kendricks even if he is a bit undersized due to the Suh factor, he should be able to run to the football and not have to defeat OG's or C's most of the time, and he is excellent in coverage which might be more important these days.

Thoughts draft Guru's?

go get a damn mike...do not leave misi as the starter in the middle...awful idea

agreed, we need a Mike. Although Suh will make our LB's better, we still need someone to upgrade things....

I'm not a draft guru. Is there an ILB worth taking at 14 or are we wanting to take one at that spot just for the sake of needing one?

I'm not a draft guru. Is there an ILB worth taking at 14 or are we wanting to take one at that spot just for the sake of needing one?

Kendricks is the best mike in the draft. 3 down plug and play. Extremely productive, excellent leader…checks off all the boxes. Im not sure he would be the best player at 14…but given the need Im not sure its much of a stretch. The biggest thing he adds is fantastic instincts in coverage. Think ahead, how are teams going to attack us? You think they are going to run too many long-developing plays with Wake, Suh, and OV out there? Nope…its going to be quick passing game all day long and he's one of the few LBs you can trust out there for that. That quick passing game is also why Id argue CB is a massive need that should be addressed early.

Its pretty much everyone else after that. You got guys like Stephone Anthony who are superb athletes but lack the instincts and awareness to fully utilize it. Then you've got like Perryman who is a 2-down guy to me…a good one but it still not the complete package…if you take a guy like that he will wear a target in coverage and you will be looking to get him off the field on 3rd down.

Id say the X-factor is Paul Dawson who despite questions has tape right there with Kendricks.

I don't mind kendricks talent wise at 14, I just don't think you can pass on one of the elite cornerbacks if your Mia.

You have to think ahead at that position year in and year out. There value in free agency is insane right now, the cornerback demand just cant keep up with the talent level at WR, and it's only getting worse.

If I was a GM I'd make it a priority to draft one every year in the top 3 rnds.

kendricks carries a top 20 grade for me so i will keep driving that train until it falls off the tracks or he gets picked i guess

listen to him talk about his keys in zone coverage and how he uses down and distance to help determine route combinations etc...that's a thinking ahead of the play lb right there...3 down plug and play mike lb...best instinctual play on tape in the class...from read and diag to coverage

as for detroit deandre levy played an outstanding and severely underrated lb behind suh in 2014...a difference making one

If we cannot trade down, we may just end up taking Kendricks at #14, especially if the Top Three WR's are off the board (Cooper, White and Parker). That's why I am sticking with Kendricks in round one, even though Kendrick is probably a guy who should be taken between #20-25. I think the other option is taking Gurley or Gordon at Running back. If defenses have to worry about Gurley/Gordon, it prevents defenses from doubling our receivers, and LB's have got to make sure they read the play quickly and not cheat, or risk giving up a 70 yard run. I guess we will find out in about three more weeks.

Honestly, Misi inside last year might have worked better if he had actually been healthy. However, I think Misi's grade would have been average at best. I think the FO knows an upgrade is required, but Philbin and Coyle don't want to publicly acknowledge the facts. A starting unit with Jenkins at WLB, DRAFT UPGRADE at MLB, and Misi at SLB, with Tripp, Sheppard, McCain & Paysinger as backups would actually look really good.

I think that the best value in this draft at MLB is to be had in the 2nd round. There are going to be 2-3 starting caliber players available when we pick in the 2nd round. Whether we take Kendricks in the first will depend on if somebody more tantalizing drops to us at 14.

Back
Top Bottom