afc east draft needs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

afc east draft needs

Boston

Miami Dolfan.
Reaction score
Miami Dolphins

A disappointing season for the Dolphins (remember, some prominent pundits actually predicted a Super Bowl run for Miami in 2006) was followed by Nick Saban's return to the college ranks, as well as the free agent loss of Sammy Morris and trade of Wes Welker to the Patriots. Meanwhile, the Dolphins continue to struggle to find a quarterback to replace Dan Marino, and their defensive stars have gotten a year older. Right now, it's hard to find many positives for Dolphins fans to look forward to in 2007.

Top five areas of need:1. Wide receiver: With Welker gone, Marty Booker neither particularly young nor effective, and Chris Chambers still struggling with the burden of being a No. 1 receiver, what might seem like a perceived strength for the Dolphins is actually a significant weakness. While improving the quarterback spot would help, why not dream? If the Dolphins packaged their first-round selection, the Patriots second-round pick, and a second-rounder next year, it would be enough (according to the NFL draft value chart) to grab Calvin Johnson if he falls to No. 4 (as Peter Schrager projects Johnson to in his latest mock draft). Johnson and Chambers with Trent Green or 75 percent of Daunte Culpepper behind center? That could work.
2. Defensive tackle: While the Dolphins were a stout run defense last season, they will have the oldest front seven in all of football for the third season running in 2007. While it's easy to ignore that and concentrate on seemingly more pressing concerns, a collapse of the defensive line due to injury or age-related regression would be catastrophic for the team.
3. Offensive tackle: While it's not clear who will play quarterback for the Dolphins in 2007, the loss of versatile LT Damion McIntosh will hurt the team. Bringing in someone to protect the eventual starter's blindside would be another useful pick at No. 9.
4. Linebacker: With Zach Thomas running out of gas at 34, drafting his eventual replacement at some point during the draft is another necessity.
5. Tight end: In a draft with only one upper-tier tight end prospect (Miami's Greg Olsen), the Dolphins might just want to stick with the tandem David Martin and Justin Peelle at tight end and worry about the spot in '08.
clear.gif
Alan Branch may just be available for the Dolphins to snag. (Gregory Shamus / Getty Images)
Who they hope falls to them: While Michigan DT Alan Branch's stock has slipped after a mediocre combine, he's a mauler on the interior and would have excellent veterans to play alongside while showing him the ropes. He would represent the first part of the defensive line of the next winning Dolphins team.
Who they will have to settle for: Fellow DT Amobi Okoye has been the fasting-riser player of the draft process; only 19 and with huge upside, he'd enjoy the same benefits of having veterans around him that Branch does, but would need it far more.
Who they may have their eyes on in later rounds: How about a quarterback? Cleo Lemon's not the future. A big name who they might find a spot for is Boise State star Jared Zabransky, who could potentially fill the tortured "Slash" role in Miami currently occupied by Marcus Vick.

Full article here http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6684832?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=23

I've been saying Zabrasnky is da future!

Why would we "hope" Branch falls? It looks like he'll fall to us anyways or beyond. I can be fine with Okoye though I think we have more pressing needs that have better players available. NT is something we can also get in later rounds with equal production. The only player I think Randy and Cam would hope to fall is Quinn.

That's horrible, i want no part of ABranch @ 9. NO WAY!!!

I couldn't disagree more. How are our top 3 needs WR, DT and OL?

It's QB, OL, S. I'm getting sick of all this draft talk, can it just happen already? People have too much time to create things that are not there or are just absolutely ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom