afc east newcomers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

afc east newcomers

keithjackson

junkyard dolphin
Reaction score
what afc east newcomers are going to make the biggest impact on the division this season?
i been thinking about it and i figured I'd ask you all what you think.

id rank them:

1. aj feeley QB fins
IF aj starts and IF he can be as moderately compentant as jay and IF he can hit the deep ball once a quarter, then the dolphins are a new team, the team they've been trying to be for years, finally.

2. corey dillon RB pats
the pats had one unintimidating (not lucky) hole in their offense and they went and filled it with someone whod surprise nobody by making the probowl.

3. mike mularkey, jim mcnally, tom clements & sam wyche COACH bills
i dont know too much about mike except he was an off coord for the steelers and his offenses were in the top 4th for points and yardage in 2001 and 2002. IF he can get that offense smoking, with that d, playing the bills is gonna suck.

4. david boston WR fins
dbo is the biggest name new to the afc east period, and he played for the cardinals and the chargers - ive never even heard of those teams. even if he has one of his "bad" seasons hes gonna free up ricky and chris, but i think hes gonna be huge. i also think that if jay fiedler is our qb, then dbo will have a bigger year than chris.

5. roosevelt colvin LB pats
with the bears, he had 10.5 sacks the last two seasons. the pats havent had a doubledigit sacker since '95. he's also only 25. he also lets them go 3-4 or 4-3. http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1521872.html

6. jeno james & vernon carey OLINE fins
a better oline? ill believe it when i see it and daydream about it until i do.
but at least i have some faith now. these guys sound exactly like who i want on my team, and this oline sounds like it will be montrous when it grows up.

7. donnie henderson DEF COORD jets
the jets have the worst d in the division, so i dont know how much he will help, but he prolly cant hurt it.

8. justin mcairens WR jets
40 of his 47 receptions last year were for first downs and he had 7 TDs as a 3rd reciever. moss and macairens sounds good to me, not as scary as chambers and boston, but i cant help but liking how chad plays even tho hes a jet. and if justin is actually good, he might look real good as a jet cuz their other recievers arent. theres nothing stopping him from becoming their #1.

9. willis mcgahee RB bills
anything to stop drew from falling down. if phi and car can do it, so can buf i guess. i never seen him play so im just jumping on his bandwagon. of all the backup RBs in the nfl, he might end up having the biggest impact tho because donovan and jake arent playing london bridges the whole game.

10. eric barton & jon vilma LB jets
the jets gave up 332 yards a game last year, this year eric comes in and moves sam cowart over to the middle where he'll play better. that sounds improved, maybe theyll only give up 300 yards. but heck, i wouldnt mind having jon vilma as my backup LB.
the jets actually have a very strong LB corps - its the strength of their d.

11. lee evans WR bills
all i keep hearing is how fast he is. it should be fun to watch him play the pats and the jets.

12. marc trestman & andrew sullivan COACH fins
if dbo lights it up and the o plays aggressive, its prolly because of these two.

13. keith traylor & vince wilfork DLINE pats
it'll be interesting to see how they replace ted washington, there'll prolly be a dropoff, however slight. but it couldve been a lot worse for them.

14. david barrett & reggie tongue SEC jets
their secondary should be improved a little at least, especially since donnie was a secondary coach in baltimore. who cares tho its the jets.

15. troy vincent CB bills
you gotta love troy vincent, but can he replace antione winfield? i guess he'd do a better job than i would.

and one more for fun...

16. fred russell, terrence wilkins, tony bua & whoever else ends up playing special teams for us. im real excited about special teams this year. do i hear a return for a touchdown? do i hear good field position? do i hear some ridiculous hard hitting? oooooo yea. i thought i did.

thats about it.
im curious how y'all would rank the afc east newcomers-
not like theres anything else to do.

and i just wanted to say this website is the best.
its my new favorite reason for having the internet.

gunn34 said:
Not bad but I think Feeley is too high right now.

as far as impact goes, i do think he's the biggest addition to the division. IF he starts that is, and for better or for worse it's a big impact.

i disagree when you say the LB corps is the strength of the jets defense. in my opinion, it goes:

1. DLINE
2. LBs
3. DBs

or more specifically:

1. DEs
2. DTs
3. MLB
4. CBs
5. OLBs
6. S

Do you think we should pass on them? hrm...

I'd add Gildon to that list, last year our only real pass-rushing threat was Schobel. This year we'll have Gildon who has 60 sacks in the last 6 years. Jeff Posey will still be here with his 6 sacks and 4 FF, but isn't the threat that Gildon is. Hopefully Chris Kelsay steps up and gets about 8 sacks but more importantly give a better push and more consistant pressure than Denney could last season.

I also think Feeley is too high. If you have to include all of those IF'S, it seems like wishful thinking.

Wishful thinking with Feeley anywhere near the top 12.

MOULDSROCKS said:
I'd add Gildon to that list, last year our only real pass-rushing threat was Schobel. This year we'll have Gildon who has 60 sacks in the last 6 years. Jeff Posey will still be here with his 6 sacks and 4 FF, but isn't the threat that Gildon is. Hopefully Chris Kelsay steps up and gets about 8 sacks but more importantly give a better push and more consistant pressure than Denney could last season.

Gildon is two slow to make a major impact.

feely isnt that high, but I would have to say New Englands revamped d-line is up their. When I heard that Ted Washington was high tailing it to Oakland I coudnt be happier, but then they got Traylor, Wilfork and Hill and that is very bad news.

runnin fish said:
feely isnt that high, but I would have to say New Englands revamped d-line is up their. When I heard that Ted Washington was high tailing it to Oakland I coudnt be happier, but then they got Traylor, Wilfork and Hill and that is very bad news.
It isnt very bad news their RunD will probably suffer because they lost Washington. Traylor isnt nearly as good as Washington and Wilfork though he is talented is still just a rookie.

I like the list, u did a good job with it. One thing tho, its Jerry Sullivan:). Hey to the bills fan who said GIldon should b in there, where? Not very high, he is getting old but still has some talent. Hell make an impact, but not a huge one.

you know that was a really good first post! Welcome to finheaven!

FinFan24 said:
I like the list, u did a good job with it. One thing tho, its Jerry Sullivan:). Hey to the bills fan who said GIldon should b in there, where? Not very high, he is getting old but still has some talent. Hell make an impact, but not a huge one.
o yea duh andrew sullivan is a kid i went to school with

allred65 said:
Wishful thinking with Feeley anywhere near the top 12.

I think it's a shame you think so little of Feeley,did you feel that way about Fiedler before he started his first Camp? Feeley has played QB and with only Five starts under his belt he did not lose games, he won all but one game in a very important part of that season. I think at least wait for Feeley to fall flat on his face before you condem the guy. I'm sure no one was giving Jake Delhome a superbowl berth prediction before his first camp last year.

I think you need to understand where Feeley came from, he was a backup on a team that has a westcoast QB style, where do you think all the winning QB come from.....? Bill Walsh! he has not coached in many years but his style is what Feeley is a product of. If you look at QB's from that style of football you'll see that the westcoast O produces very good QB's. lets think about just three head coaches that are a direct product of Bill Walsh, John Gruden- SB champ, Mike Holmgren- SB champ, Andy Reed- Three consecutive NFC championships .

All of these coachs have to this day have very accurate very smart QB's. They all learned under Bill Walsh and Andy Reed runs this O. To make a more compeling argument for Feeley, Mark Tresman is our QB's coach, who also coached with Gruden.

Afriend of mine is a very big Eagle fan, and he said something to me about this very subject this afternoon. I asked him if he thought that Feeley was going to play well and he said the league is full of AJ Feeley's, he said Feeley is the same kind of QB as Delhome, Brady, Bolger,Ramsey, and the kid from Seattle.

I'm not going to make a promise, but Feeley is in a great position light things up. Don't forget Fiedler has had his shot and he played well at times and even fantastic :Cowboy's, Redskin's and a couple more but, Jay is just not a full time QB and never will be.There are too many good changes to this team for Feeley to stink the joint up.

Back
Top Bottom