AFC East training camp preview: Key issues, players to watch | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFC East training camp preview: Key issues, players to watch

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ning-camp-preview-key-issues-players-to-watch

Miami Dolphins
Training camp report dates: rookies (July 20) and veterans (July 26).

Most important position battle: Linebacker. The Dolphins seem oddly settled for this time of year, but as The Phinsider pointed out, this linebacking unit is undergoing a serious remake. I once thought the courtship and signing of Lawrence Timmons was about injecting some attitude into a group that didn't stand up to its counterparts on the defensive line. However, the selection of Raekwon McMillan in the 2017 NFL Draft could point to a tactical change, as well. In cases like this, no one's job is guaranteed, with a few capable bodies floating around.

Newcomer to watch: DE Charles Harris. The first-round pick has Dolphins fans dreaming of an outright swarm on defense. This might be a year away from materializing, though Harris will have a lot of protection across the line and could see more than his fair share of one-on-one matchups. Given the attention paid by opponents to Ndamukong Suh alone, Harris could be an early favorite to win the rookie sack race. Early reports from spring practices suggest he's a regular presence in the backfield, though everything changes when the offensive linemen are encouraged to hit back.

Looming camp question: Does Ryan Tannehill hit the ground running? This is a playoff team. Despite having the look and feel of an upstart, this is a veteran-laden, top-heavy roster built to at least nag the Patriots. Tannehill grew under first-year head coach Adam Gase last season, momentarily fending off questions about his ability to become a franchise quarterback. However, this year -- Tannehill's sixth in the NFL -- needs to see Tannehill break away from his modest reputation and take a crack at the Pro Bowl.

Tannehill's sixth in the NFL -- needs to see Tannehill break away from his modest reputation and take a crack at the Pro Bowl. = 100% agreed

Second season with this offense. Improved TEs and a healthy Parker. No excuses, Ryan! Play like you did during the winning streak and we should be just fine!

Yeah as Tannehill it is now or never. As needs to be the QB. Do not at all need to be a Marino though.

Not a bad article, easy read.

Todd Bowles really does have a difficult job with motivating the Jets this year.

So glad and surprised Jets and Bills passed on Hooker. Darby was a good pick for the Bills last year, maybe that's why they didn't go secondary high again. The Jets made a mistake, imo. I don't know about Mays in the second, but Adams over Hooker? Sorry, I'm tainted by the underwhelming career of Dawan Landry. I mean, I guess Adams will be solid, just seemed like too safe a play for such a high pick. Didn't Primetime go #6? Go for the ballhawk, not the vicious hitter.

Same author commenting on Bills Tredavious White..."Mike Mayock talked about first-round pick White in the same ho-hum manner one might use to describe Ritz crackers -- but no star players who could immediately elevate Sean McDermott's defense."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...raft-grades-jets-snagged-jamal-adams-and-what

Bills are a total conundrum... I feel like Bills teams that used to beat us would've taken Hooker. They're secondary roster was sick @2010. Donte Whittner, Jairus Byrd, Leodis Mckelvin...All I know about White is that Jakeem made him look silly in college. I pray that matchup happens again this season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ning-camp-preview-key-issues-players-to-watch

Miami Dolphins
Training camp report dates: rookies (July 20) and veterans (July 26).

Most important position battle: Linebacker. The Dolphins seem oddly settled for this time of year, but as The Phinsider pointed out, this linebacking unit is undergoing a serious remake. I once thought the courtship and signing of Lawrence Timmons was about injecting some attitude into a group that didn't stand up to its counterparts on the defensive line. However, the selection of Raekwon McMillan in the 2017 NFL Draft could point to a tactical change, as well. In cases like this, no one's job is guaranteed, with a few capable bodies floating around.

Newcomer to watch: DE Charles Harris. The first-round pick has Dolphins fans dreaming of an outright swarm on defense. This might be a year away from materializing, though Harris will have a lot of protection across the line and could see more than his fair share of one-on-one matchups. Given the attention paid by opponents to Ndamukong Suh alone, Harris could be an early favorite to win the rookie sack race. Early reports from spring practices suggest he's a regular presence in the backfield, though everything changes when the offensive linemen are encouraged to hit back.

Looming camp question: Does Ryan Tannehill hit the ground running? This is a playoff team. Despite having the look and feel of an upstart, this is a veteran-laden, top-heavy roster built to at least nag the Patriots. Tannehill grew under first-year head coach Adam Gase last season, momentarily fending off questions about his ability to become a franchise quarterback. However, this year -- Tannehill's sixth in the NFL -- needs to see Tannehill break away from his modest reputation and take a crack at the Pro Bowl.

Just a gut feel, but not far into the season (if not sooner), the LBs will be Timmons, KA, RM.

Newcomer (not "rookie"): I'm just as eager to see Thomas at TE as Harris. If he and Tannehill can get a chemistry, this could be a fun O to watch.

Back
Top Bottom