AFC East wide open? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFC East wide open?

BahamaFinFan78

Active Roster
Reaction score
With the Pats loss, is the division open for us to sneak in there next year, if we have a good offseason? If Brady doesn't return (he is a free agent) what do the Pats do at QB? The Jets are the Jets. Will the Bills continue their success or take a step back? If we get injured players back, draft well and pick up good free agents, do we have a small chance?

Although Josh Allen isn’t a bad QB, I don’t think he’ll ever lead the Bills to a SB. He just makes too many boneheaded mistakes. I think Darnold is gonna be a good one, but until they fire Gase the jets will be a team that underachieves. Right now it is wide open, who has the best management team at this point. Will Billichick wanna groom another QB? I’m not so sure about that

It's the Bills before we get a swing at it. Then again to be the man you have to beat the man. Brady will come back one more year, he had no 2nd option once the talented castoffs (Brown, Gordon) left. They need a solid #2 option...and a #3 (TE) wouldn't hurt.

I hate to break it to you, and dont want to sound like a debbie downer here, but... The Patriots were still 12-4 this year with not so great QB play, will still have the best coach in football, and will still find ways to cheat lol. In all seriousness I hope they crumble to ashes next season, but they still have some good players, a good coach, and it's not inconceivable that they will upgrade at wr and get a capable QB in the offseason.

I hate to break it to you, and dont want to sound like a debbie downer here, but... The Patriots were still 12-4 this year with not so great QB play, will still have the best coach in football, and will still find ways to cheat lol. In all seriousness I hope they crumble to ashes next season, but they still have some good players, a good coach, and it's not inconceivable that they will upgrade at wr and get a capable QB in the offseason.
yes it is true they were 12-4 but context matters. They won 9 against teams 500 or below. 4 of them picking top 5. They lost 3/4 to the top seeds in the afc. Their soft schedule had more to do with their success than people realize. Just not where they once were

Right now, the AFC East goes thru Buffalo. They're not losing anyone of value & have a young, improving team with a very good defense.

As for the Pats going 12-4 this year, their 8-0 start came at the hands of 7 teams below .500. 5 of their 16 games came vs teams who will be picking in the top 5 next draft. Of the teams that they played with above .500 records? They were 3-3. 3-4 if you count yesterday's playoff loss.

They have a 43 year old QB (if he comes back), a 33 year old slot receiver, no tight ends, no 2nd round draft pick (will possibly lose other pick(s) to Spygate part II). They have approx 50M in cap space, which approx 20M will be spent if they bring back Brady. So, 30M in cap space with Thuney & Van Noy lined up for huge raises. Not enough picks or cap space to fill all of the holes.

They're going to lose long time OC Josh McDaniels & he's more than likely going to follow Flores in taking multiple coaches with him. This is clearly a team in decline. Cheating scandals aside, Belichick is a great coach, but to quote Tuna, he simply no longer has the groceries.

Not a Debbie Downer at all, really, you are just pointing out the truth. Too many people assume that Brady is the reason for NE's success, but BB has won with backups, too. NE has always been a system team and Brady was just a great system QB. Unless they lose most of the coaching staff, I suspect NE to be the strongest AFCE team again next year, with or without Brady. In fact, if Brady leaves, I actually think they improve.

Right now, the AFC East goes thru Buffalo. They're not losing anyone of value & have a young, improving team with a very good defense.

As for the Pats going 12-4 this year, their 8-0 start came at the hands of 7 teams below .500. 5 of their 16 games came vs teams who will be picking in the top 5 next draft. Of the teams that they played with above .500 records? They were 3-3. 3-4 if you count yesterday's playoff loss.

They have a 43 year old QB (if he comes back), a 33 year old slot receiver, no tight ends, no 2nd round draft pick (will possibly lose other pick(s) to Spygate part II). They have approx 50M in cap space, which approx 20M will be spent if they bring back Brady. So, 30M in cap space with Thuney & Van Noy lined up for huge raises. Not enough picks or cap space to fill all of the holes.

They're going to lose long time OC Josh McDaniels & he's more than likely going to follow Flores in taking multiple coaches with him. This is clearly a team in decline. Cheating scandals aside, Belichick is a great coach, but to quote Tuna, he simply no longer has the groceries.
I hear ya man, and I hope you're right.

It's the Bills before we get a swing at it. Then again to be the man you have to beat the man. Brady will come back one more year, he had no 2nd option once the talented castoffs (Brown, Gordon) left. They need a solid #2 option...and a #3 (TE) wouldn't hurt.

The league found out yesterday that the emperor no longer wears clothes. The aura is gone. Teams won't fear Foxboro like they used to. A team can come in with a strong defense and running game while the QB throws for 72 yards and beat you.

The division is wide open. Hopefully, they go back to the old school, pre Brady Patriots. Wouldn't mind having a fierce Dolphins vs Bill's rivalry again.

Last edited:

All very good points. It does feel like the end of the dynasty is finally here. If you are right about the draft picks and most of the coaching staff leaving, then I definitely agree NE is in decline for at least the next couple of seasons. At the same time, I believe Brady has been holding them back all season. Losing Brady would actually help that team. As long as BB is there, they will be in contention.

Ding Dong the witch is D E A D...Well...she is staggering anyway. Brady is showing his age,no Gronk to punk secondaries and the film crew got caught AGAIN.
Its a bright horizon Fins fan...the dynasty is crumbling.

All very good points. It does feel like the end of the dynasty is finally here. If you are right about the draft picks and most of the coaching staff leaving, then I definitely agree NE is in decline for at least the next couple of seasons. At the same time, I believe Brady has been holding them back all season. Losing Brady would actually help that team. As long as BB is there, they will be in contention.

Brady was clearly not the Brady of old in 2019, but the 2019 version was still better than many NFL QB's. The QB's who are better than Brady & much younger are going nowhere. Who is Belichick going to bring in this offseason who will be better than an aging Tom Brady? I don't see Brady playing for any other team than NE & if he decides to retire, the Pats don't have the resources to bring in a better QB, even at the age of 43.

The league found out yesterday that the emperor no longer wears clothes. The aura is gone. Teams won't fear Foxboro like they used to. A team can come in with a strong defense and running game while the QB throws for 72 yards and beats you.

The division is wide open. Hopefully, they go back to the old school, pre Brady Patriots. Wouldn't mind having a fierce Dolphins vs Bill's rivalry again.
Huge blow to their “aura” taking back to back losses there, one being a playoff game. Then the loss earlier in the season. I like it.

Back
Top Bottom