After further review, it looks like JAKE LONG is MIA's target at #1 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After further review, it looks like JAKE LONG is MIA's target at #1

MrEd

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Yes! U heard it right! I am upset, but feel that the signs have pointed to the fact that MIA "is" going to take JAKE LONG at #1. @#!#?!

http://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/2008/03/things-i-know-before-todays-start-of.html

Things I know before today's start of the NFL meetings
Clearing out the notebook before I refill at the NFL's Annual Meeting starting today in Palm Beach:

1. The Dolphins definitely have plans for John Beck. When coach Tony Sparano talks with his coaches and confidants about Miami's need to get leadership from younger players, he mentions the second-year quarterback. Sparano thinks great teams are ones with leaders that are in their third, fourth and fifth seasons -- guys in their prime. Sparano has been mentioning Ronnie Brown, Ted Ginn Jr. and Beck as guys that will be the nucleus of the team in the next couple of years. So don't write the QB off.

2. The Dolphins draft board is set. It was set last week. That means the Dolphins already know who they are going to draft if they cannot trade out of that No. 1 overall pick. They desperately want to trade out of that pick. By the way, don't ask me who they would pick because I've asked and the person I asked laughed at me.

3. New GM Jeff Ireland is a big believer in production. Like everyone else, he appreciates when an athlete runs a great time at the combine or at his pro day, but he appreciates more when a player performs and produces on the field. Given the choice of one or the other, Ireland will lean toward the player.

4. Ireland also isn't inclined to draft for need early in the selection process. He's more likely going to want the player with the best grade on the board. He does believe, however, that you can begin addressing specific needs later in the draft to fill out the roster.

5. The rumored trade that would send the Cowboys' two first-round picks to Miami for the right to pick Darren McFadden is dead, according to Dallas owner Jerry Jones (pictured with wife Gene and daughter Charlotte). Speaking to the Fort Worth Star Telegram, Jones said "I have no intent at all of moving into the top five. A team can get crippled, and I mean seriously crippled, from a financial standpoint by being up there in the top five or six. It's a real negative."

6. Read the last quote and understand two things: Jerry Jones can be saying this as a way to lower the price of getting into the top of the first round. So take it with a proverbial grain of salt. But also understand the rising cost of drafting a player so high -- at least $30 million guaranteed for the first pick -- is becoming something of a negative considering that player has never played in an NFL game. It is the reason there have been no trades involving the top five selections in years.

Anyway, I'm off to the Owners' meetings now. I'll keep you updated if stuff happens so check back here throughout the day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took a look outside the box once more and realized something else....

First, the Calvin Pace pursuit showed me that BP was targeting someone else than "Chris Long" or "Vernon Ghoulston".

Secondly, when they began to scout out "extensively", "Henne" and "Brohm"...they showed signs that they were trying to find ways to "weed out": Chris Long, Vernon Ghoulston, and "Matt Ryan".

They were zeroing down on Ryan and both Longs. So with the Pace thing and the Henne/Brohm/Flacco thing...signs began to point out that they had JAKE LONG as the guy.

I realized that the article states that they finally picked their guy "last week"...which was when they brought in JAKE LONG.

This, plus the fact that they were trying to trade down. Meaning that they were willing to lose out on Ryan and both Longs by doing so. Well, the fact that OT is the deepest position in the draft and that MIA completely ignored that "both" LT and LG via FA....showed me that they had their sights set on OT with their 1st round pick.

Seems to me that a mock draft of the following is the likely scenario come draft Saturday:

#1: Jake Long(should they stay put)...or Brandon Albert should they trade down.

#32: Sam Baker/Gosder Cherilus(which could move Carey to RT if they start at LG, or move Carey to LG if they start at RT/LT)....or Chad Henne/Brian Brohm/Joe Flacco should they feel that LG/RT can still be filled at #57.

#57: Anthony Collins/Carl Nicks( to play LG/RT should they pick Henne, Brohm, or Flacco at #32) or the QB that drops out of Henne, Brohm, Flacco, or Woodson should they select Sam Baker/Gosder Cherilus at #32.

Well, there u have it. Mr Ed has made his final conclusion. I hope I'm wrong and that MIA selects Matt Ryan...but it just doesn't seem likely.

It looks like it may be too high a risk to "hope" that our starting LT and LG will still be available at #32 and #57. @!#?$!:shakeno:

Logical post.

To me when Ireland started bringing in DE's and in particular going hard after Calvin Pace. I felt that OLB was OFF the board at No.1

If they truly have plans for Beck, and or if they feel they need to take care of the QB, then Jake Long will and should be the #1 pick.

It's not a flashy pick, but for me it is the right pick.

Could definitely be Jake now that Cherilous is being talked about going in the first. The whole thing with Ryan however rests on how they perceive the difference between Ryan and the pack and Ryan and Beck. There is definitely a huge dropoff between Jake Long and Sam Baker who would be top rated OT if Cherilus goes in the first. Add the fact that Baker is better as a zone blocker and it gets even funkier. The other factor is what is the front office's take on Julius Wilson. The guy was a beast at run blocking but had trouble with the playbook and pass blocking. He should be much improved this year and would seem like a good fit for ROT if he can get his pass blocking up to an acceptable level

i wuoldnt be surprised if it is long infact (jake) b/c one he has a mean streak which BP loves, his tough and physical, his strong HUGE and makes almost zero mistakes!. all those signs point to him being #1. Now IRELAND DID SAY AT the SR bowl they are looking at a guy that can get to teh QB 10 plus times for a decade with the 1st pick. Was taht a slip up? I dono but its one of hte longs thats for sure and ryan is no where on our list i promise u that. WHich long is it? i dono and honestly ill be happy with either one. I think if JT stays its J LONG if JT goes via trade its C Long unless they plan on putting a guy at OLB from round 2-3. If we go J at 1, we can go with a CB/OLB at 2 and the other one of those 2 at 2b with a G at 3 or even greco at 2b. I do know they like that BRown kid from VT and its to play RT.

I don't know how this really proves Jake Long is the target. If anything, our interest in Calvin Pace shows we want to upgrade that position and since we didn't get him, Chris Long and Vernon Gholston are still firmly the favorites in my book. You are also contradicting yourself by saying that Ireland doesn't believe in drafting players early based on need, but Jake will be the pick. LT IS our biggest need right now, but Jake certainly isn't the BPA at number one, Chris Long and Gholston are though, so that shows me one of the two will be the pick.

I would be happy if we like JLong that much

either Long would be the closest to a sure thing

worst case, we put Jake at RT and run all day

not a great draft to be on top

That blog tells me that they will take the highest rated player on their board. I don't see any reason to believe that J. Long is that guy. It sounds like C. Long is probably the guy. I guess there is an outside chance that Dorsey could be #1 and an even further outside chance of Gholston but that's it.

I don't understand why people keep making "need" arguments after reading a quote that says we won't draft by need early.

Chris Long or Vernon Gholston is who will be picked at 1. OT class is rich and deep this year so BP and company will get an OT with our 2nd pick.

I took a look outside the box once more and realized something else....

First, the Calvin Pace pursuit showed me that BP was targeting someone else than "Chris Long" or "Vernon Ghoulston".

Secondly, when they began to scout out "extensively", "Henne" and "Brohm"...they showed signs that they were trying to find ways to "weed out": Chris Long, Vernon Ghoulston, and "Matt Ryan".

They were zeroing down on Ryan and both Longs. So with the Pace thing and the Henne/Brohm/Flacco thing...signs began to point out that they had JAKE LONG as the guy.

I realized that the article states that they finally picked their guy "last week"...which was when they brought in JAKE LONG.

This, plus the fact that they were trying to trade down. Meaning that they were willing to lose out on Ryan and both Longs by doing so. Well, the fact that OT is the deepest position in the draft and that MIA completely ignored that "both" LT and LG via FA....showed me that they had their sights set on OT with their 1st round pick.

Seems to me that a mock draft of the following is the likely scenario come draft Saturday:

Good points...makes a lot of sense.

LOL You said it yourself it's a deep OT draft it's not deep in DE's and when they missed out on Pace that pretty much forces us to get C Long. We'll get our OT in riund 2.

I don't know how this really proves Jake Long is the target. If anything, our interest in Calvin Pace shows we want to upgrade that position and since we didn't get him, Chris Long and Vernon Gholston are still firmly the favorites in my book. You are also contradicting yourself by saying that Ireland doesn't believe in drafting players early based on need, but Jake will be the pick. LT IS our biggest need right now, but Jake certainly isn't the BPA at number one, Chris Long and Gholston are though, so that shows me one of the two will be the pick.

Exactly...thank you.

If going after Pace shows that we didn't want to draft a DE/OLB then what does not landing Pace mean? Doesn't that just validate that we're looking at an edge rusher?

imo, the quote from Ireland about athletes means Gholston probably won't be the pick. also, if we don't go with Chris Long, we still have decent DE's and pro-bowl OLB's. If we don't go with Jake Long in the first, the offensive line is still very weak. at that point, we still need 2 more O-linemen including a LT which means we would be forced into taking a linemen at #32. by taking Jake at #1, you then have some flexibility at #32, if Albert is there, grab him. if not, maybe Connor, or Brohm or a CB, etc.-whoever is the BPA.

Back
Top Bottom