Age our our Team | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Age our our Team

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
While discussing the signing of Rob Burnett on another board, a Raider fan was accussed the Phins of "copying Al Davis' Blueprint" of signing older players to the roster and that "Finally you are seeing the brillance of Al Davis. You can copy the blueprint but can you get the same results.". *we go at it with this guy about the Raiders all the time*

After retaliating (pointing out that we don't sign guys closing in on 40 to be starters for big $$$ like they do), I felt the need to examine our team's age. I examined only players with a decent shot at making the team and how old they'd be when the season starts. Here's what I found.

Starting Lineup

OFFENSE
QB Jay Fiedler (30).....................................Top Backups: Ray Lucas (30), Tim Levcik (22)

RB Ricky Williams (25)...............................Top Backups: Travis Minor (23), Robert Edwards (27), Leonard Henry (24)
FB Rob Konrad (25)....................................Top Backups: Deon Dyer (24)

TE Jed Weaver (26)....................................Top Backups: Randy McMichael (23), Alonzo Mayes (27), Ed Perry (28)

WR Chris Chambers (24)............................Top Backups: James McKnight (30), Dedric Ward (28), Albert Johnson (24)
WR Oronde Gadsden (31)...........................Top Backups: Jeff Odgen (27)Sam Simmons (22), Robert Baker (26)

LT Brent Smith (29)....................................Top Backups: Marcus Spriggs (28)
LG Mark Dixon (31)....................................Top Backups: Todd Perry (31), Troy Andrew (24)
C Tim Ruddy (30).......................................Top Backups: Seth McKinney (23)
RG Leon Searcy (32)..................................Top Backups: Jamie Nails (27)
RT Todd Wade (24)....................................Top Backups: Anthony Cesario (26)

DEFENSE
LE Daryl Gardener (29)...............................Top Backups: Rob Burnett (35), Adewale, Ogunleye (25)
DT Tim Bowens (29)...................................Top Backups: Jermaine Haley (29), Henry Taylor (26)
DT Larry Chester (26).................................Top Backups: Ernest Grant (26) James Atkins (24)
RE Jason Taylor (28)..................................Top Backups: David Bowens (25), Al Wallace (27)

SLB Morlon Greenwood (24).......................Top Backups: Twan Russell (28)
MLB Zach Thomas (29)..............................Top Backups: Tommy Hendricks (23)
WLB Derrick Rodgers (30)..........................Top Backups: Scott Galyon (28)

LCB Patrick Surtain (26).............................Top Backups: Jamar Fletcher (23)
RCB Sam Madison (28)..............................Top Backups: Ray Green (25), Omare Lowe (24)

FS Brock Marion (32).................................Top Backups: Trent Gamble (25), Scott McGarrahan (28)
SS Arturo Freeman (25).............................Top Backups: Shawn Wooden (28)

SPECIAL TEAMS
K Olindo Mare (29)
P Mark Royals (37)....................................Top Backups: Casey Roussel (22)

Players Over 30 - P Mark Royals (37), DE Rob Burnett (35), RG Leon Searcy (32), FS Brock Marion (32), LG Mark Dixon (31), Todd Perry (31), WR Oronde Gasden (31).

As a whole, our team is IN IT'S PRIME. We're not old like the Raiders. We're a young group of veterans. And unlike the Raiders, our best players are either IN THEIR PRIME or YOUNG. Even Fiedler has low mileadge and is still getting better. Same goes for Derrick Rodgers. The oldest part of the team is the OL. And they average 27 years (starters avg 29). Also, I consider 30 to be middle-of-the-road. Not young, but not old either. That's why I put "Players Over 30".

Anyway, we're not copying any stupid blueprint. If anything, Al Davis is lucky that the Buccaneers are rebuilding his team in the next few years. Gotta give the old guy credit for sticking to his guns and playing those Glazer boys like fiddle, though.

I would say our main defensive guys are pushing it. A bunch of them have some serious miles (i.e Gardener, Thomas, Bowens, Taylor) and when you consider the average NFL career is 5 years, those guys are tipping the "older" designation.

Offense is only getting younger, with Chambers, and Williams, along with Wade and McKinney.

The statement of "a Raider fan" says enough for me. It's like trying to argue with a seal at the zoo. It's pointless and the average seal is smarter then a raider fan.

OUTSTANDING POST MUCK!

Muck..Great job putting that together. I was just wondering about our teams age last week. We are in pretty good shape IMO......

I think OL - DL need some Youth to come in through the Drafts though.

Good job Muck, but responding to a Fay-duh fan is just pointless. For the most part they're a pretty brain dead bunch and most of them are in total denial about their present cap situation. It's nice to actually see the age numbers though.

Originally posted by IceStorm
The statement of "a Raider fan" says enough for me. It's like trying to argue with a seal at the zoo. It's pointless and the average seal is smarter then a raider fan.

Well, Muck pretty much put the guy in his place, but you have to know that particular Raider fan to appreciate the fact that he got chewed up and spit out. He is such an (_)_) heee.. haaa.. heee.. haaa....

:monkey: Raiderblow

Originally posted by dolfan87
I would say our main defensive guys are pushing it. A bunch of them have some serious miles (i.e Gardener, Thomas, Bowens, Taylor) and when you consider the average NFL career is 5 years, those guys are tipping the "older" designation.

Offense is only getting younger, with Chambers, and Williams, along with Wade and McKinney.

I would think that number is heavily skewed, since a lot of NFL players fizzle out within 1 or 2 years. A more interesting average would be to find out for players who make it past their 3rd year in the NFL, what is their career average...and truly the study is only valid if it counts players that have RETIRED not players that are active. If you count all current players and just average their year, you're just saying that the average NFL player has been in the league 5 seasons, not that the average career lasts 5 years.

Thanks guys. I love doing football statistical research.

I agree that the D is starting to wear a bit, 87. But IMO, it's really just Zach (size) and Gardener (back). Jason Taylor has somehow proved durable, missing only 4 games in 5 years and NONE in the last two. Timbo has also been durable, missing only 2 games in 8 years (but I think he missed the playoff game vs Denver as well).

Sam and Pat are DBs, so they shouldn't wear down much. And they've got Jamar Fletcher behind them. I think that Brock Marion could end up playing a 2-3 more years if he can avoid serious injury and we utilize his skills correctly. He's just so smart and such a ballhawk. And yes, the first thing I, too, noticed was how young the offense is getting.

I agree Mike. We gotta keep getting young on the Lines. We're gonna need a young Guard and LT soon. I think Jamie Nails could be good starter for us the next few years. That gives us some time to find a 2nd OG.

As for the DL, Chester is 26. And Taylor isn't going anywhere. But we could need a new left side in two years, when DG and Timbo could both be gone. Timbo will be back for at least another year. I don't think Jermaine Haley is the answer, though (solid depth guy). And David Bowens is not strong enough yet (might never be). So we should seek young guys next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
again, helluva job Muck.
It just hurts to see how old I am.
I mean, these are kids!!! I'm putting my heart in their hands!....they're gonna do it though....Let's go Miami

I feel the same, but differently. Growing up, I always idolized these guys. But now I look at their age and realize that I'm the same age or older than these rooks. That I'm cheering for my PEERS now. It feels a little weird. But when I'm watching the games, they're still "above" me. Like you said, our hopes and dreams are in their hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Age is irrelevant can they play

is more important.

Qb -Jay Fielser, Ray Lucas Hope ful of Tim Levcik(but come on the guy wasn't even drafted. Can't say Dolphins have qb of future on roster already

Rb- Looks in find shape . Looking great for future

Wr Chris Chambers and nobody you can say to fill in the next couple of years. Definetly need to address this area soon in draft.

Te Can't say there a bonafide Te defense have to respect on roster. There was a reason Randy McMichael was drafted. The coaching staff hasn't gotten the results they liked. Some potential at te but potential gets a coach fired.

Ol. Age is starting to creep into this group and the next couple of drafts better produce some players you can team with Todd Wade and maybe(Seth Mckinney 3 rder)

Dl- Age is creeping into this area too. The dropoff from the starters to the backups is substantial.

Lb- This area is very thin already. Z Thomas is getting up there and M Greenwood looks like the only one that you can count on.

Secondary - Is in great shape now and in the forseeable future.

Looking at it reasonable ,The next couple of drafts are very important, they will determine if dolphins have superbowl aspirations or have to start rebuilding in the next couple of years. Look at the Buffalo Bills ages of there projected defense- Thats young but are they any good.

I really don't think we know enough about our backups..The year before when D.G. was hurt and Haley took his place there wasn't that much drop off..but last year Haley was hurt and there was a drop off..D. Boston did pretty good last year..think about this..He got playing time when we had Taylor, Mixon and Bormell on the roster...He must to have impressed..But he's still young and Miami's trying to win a SB so a Vet is more reassuring. But I think he might be a player for the future..Don't know much about Akeawa(sp), really haven't seen him and they don't talk much about him,, but he seems to stick and is a lock on the team, so there much be something about him..If Baker stays healthy and Simmons developes, we may have future WR's on the roster...We want know a lot until preseason. The Dolphins overall is still a pretty young team...especially compared to Oakland.

Back
Top Bottom