"Air Apparent" on the way... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Air Apparent" on the way...

Superself said:
I hope we do not get Rivers. He has been a bust so far in San Diego...and I hear Charger fans can't wait to offload him onto some desperate team willing to give up the world for him.
How can you bust when you're sitting the bench behind a very good QB? Great statement.

vt_dolfan said:
God...the scenarios are enough to make me want to hurry up and get to the offseason.....its like wondering what your gonna get under the X Mas tree!!! All of these scenarios sound so much more damn appealing than anything we have had since Marino!

We need to remember that there is still over half the season to be played. Many things can happen from here to there. Some quarterbacks will suddenly become "great" and others will "dropoff". As far as the draft is concerned it's a crap shoot anyway. (i.e. Ryan Leaf).

To be perfectly honest, I have no idea if Rivers is better than Brees or how much what his value is or if Lienart, Young or Quinn will fit in our system.

But (almost done ramblin') it's going to be one heck of a ride with all us (supposed) great talent evaluators in this forum. :D

personally id want carr, or a rookie... ive never been really into rivers, id take brees over him any day of the week...

and larry, the reason brees wasn't as good his first 3 years was A) the league is funny in how you SHOULDNT EXPECT ROOKIES AND INEXPERIENCED PLAYERS TO DOMINATE RIGHT AWAY! i swear you people dont realize that 75% of rookies and inexperienced players and id say 99% of QBs do not dominate immediately... it takes time, experience, adjusting, actual game snaps, etc... brees struggled as any young qb would be expected too, not to mention the talent around him wasn't so good, which also makes it tougher to succeed...

I wouldn't count on it....my belief is they already traded for the QB of the future...at least in their minds. I fully expect to see Lemon touted as the future...while they draft players, to play around him.

Bench Bust ??

Superself said:
I hope we do not get Rivers. He has been a bust so far in San Diego...and I hear Charger fans can't wait to offload him onto some desperate team willing to give up the world for him.

How can you be a bust when you are holding the clipboard? We really don't know if he will be good or not but a bust? Come now ... Give the guy some respect....He was an excellent college player that elevated his team while he was there...Look at NC State this year. The would LOVE to have that bust back!

LarryFinFan said:
I think Rivers has much more upside than Brees.

Me too, but if we are going to spend big money, I'd rather be more certain about the guy. Rivers has had 2 training camps to unseat Brees and hasn't pulled it off. Maybe he hasn't had enough chances, but that seems a bit crazy for a top 5 pick. Who knows?

If you were in SD's shows, which would you keep?

I'm just excited to know that with this coach and GM, we know they'll go after the best QB they can get and I think we'll all be pretty satisfied regardless of who it is.

I'm hoping for a FA QB, so we can use our first couple picks on Oline and Secondary.

The more I analyze what Saban did for this Franchise in the 2005 draft, and FA in the offseason, and trades during this season, the more I am convinced that he has consistenly maximized potential to find players that fit his scheme.

I have read countless threads about how we should have drafted a QB in 2005, but hindsight shows that no QB would have improved this team in place of the player he did take. The obvious one brought up is taking Daniels two slots infront of where the Bears took Orton. But with the OLine issues, and our Defensive back issues I see Daniels being better for the long term health of this franchise than Orton.

Now injuries after the draft have shown the Daniels pick to be a more fornuate selection but I chalk that up to luck of the draw. But I still think Saban knew that the OLine may not be where he wanted it, even with Hudson teaching them, and a FA veteran knowing the playbook would be the best bandaid you could put than a rookie QB (even if he was holding a clipboard and waiting his turn).

I think Orton or any other rookie QB wont be the best talent at QB that Saban will either draft in 2006, or find via FA, or with the trade of a guy like Lemon. Lemon is a total unknown, but what Saban liked was that atleast the pieces to a possibly very good QB are present in Lemon, its simply a question of developing those pieces into a complete, consistent offering that will determine if he is the future QB or just another experiment. But thats ok for a yound 3rd string QB.

What I do like is a young Ronnie Brown at RB as the selection. For this reason, even with a questionable (but slightly improved OLine thanks to Hudson's teaching) Ronnie has found some holes, and created some holes and shown power and speed. A combination that great winning franchises have on their roster.

Selecting a RB for the future with the Oline we have currently is easier to defend than a drafting a QB for the future (and based on our 2-4 record you know Fans would be screaming for the rookie to take snaps just like they are for Sage or Lemon to get a chance).

Saban will continue to improve the OLine and get a QB, where the draft talent will be more favorable than the QB draft talent was in 2005. Clearly 2005 was a RB draft. 2006 & 07 are shaping up to be a QB draft. But our QB could easily come via FA and he uses draft picks for other areas.

Fortunately, he has his RB and some young Defensive players. He can tweat the D additonally in this offseason (plus those coming back from injury will be significant contributors in 2006+), and more importantly he will focus on the OLine, QB, and receiver positions in the draft or FA.

I clearly see the benefit of this method to his madness.

LarryFinFan said:
Do you know who wants Rivers and who wants Brees?

The scuttlebutt is that AJ wants Rivers and of course, they have a long term contract and have paid out some $18 m to have Rivers sit on the pine. AJ doesn't want to pay out a big contract for Brees and have to eat the paid out money for Rivers. If they trade Rivers, sure they'll get good compensation for him via draft pick(s), but the bonus money paid to Rivers will be accellerated to 2006 which takes a big chunk out of the cap. The real issue for Marty is (assming Brees continues his decent play thruout this year) that Marty would be hard pressed to convince the rest of the team to make a change...Afterall, if you trade or cut the leader of your team, what does that say to the rest of the team. There is an obvious power struggle going on there (Marty didn't know about the Feeley deal until after it happened ?). Maybe LT21 can chime in on more specifics and reasons for the struggle, but it is apparent. It's going to interesting because we could be a player for whichever QB is cut....It would be easier for us to acquire Brees if he is let loose (no comp. back to SD), but Rivers might be the better QB, we don't really know...[/QUOTE]

I would prefer Rivers, but you bring up an excellent point. It would be easier to pick up Brees and we would still have our #1 pick. We have too many holes to trade for Rivers, which would require us to give up our #1 and more. It's a much better business decision to try and acquire Brees through FA and use your draft picks to make this team better. Look at what Jimmy Johnson did in Dallas with all the draft picks. He didn't waste picks to sign one big name player. If we want to be good for the next decade or so, we need a number of great players not just one really great player.

and with the first overall pick in the NFL draft, the Houston Texans select Matt Leinart out of USC. with the 2nd overall pick in the NFL draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Reggie Bush out of USC and trade their 2007 1st round pick for Phillip Rivers of the Chargers. That opens Daunte up for trade bait. I'd love to see ol' Culpepper in a Dolphins jersey. He's a beast on the field, has a strong arm, is still young, and has experience underneath his belt. Yea he's not having the greatest year but what quarterbeck would look the same after losing the best NFL WR. Plus the guy is a FL native that graduated from UCF. If he's on the market, we better make an offer to bring him to Miami. And yes, he's worth a 1st round pick in my opinion.

Bellson said:
and with the first overall pick in the NFL draft, the Houston Texans select Matt Leinart out of USC. with the 2nd overall pick in the NFL draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Reggie Bush out of USC and trade their 2007 1st round pick for Phillip Rivers of the Chargers. That opens Daunte up for trade bait. I'd love to see ol' Culpepper in a Dolphins jersey. He's a beast on the field, has a strong arm, is still young, and has experience underneath his belt. Yea he's not having the greatest year but what quarterbeck would look the same after losing the best NFL WR. Plus the guy is a FL native that graduated from UCF. If he's on the market, we better make an offer to bring him to Miami. And yes, he's worth a 1st round pick in my opinion.

Bellson -

If it actually worked out this way, my jaw would hit the floor, then I would pick it up and shout...woohoo....!

Just think the exact likelyhood is slim to none!

i think minny would go nuts if they could get reggie bush, but they wont be picking second with san fran playing how they are playing... not to mention the jets, browns, packers in that mix...

plus the jets would love to get bush with martin finally slowing down, san fran would love to have him too... so theyd probably have to trade up to get bush...

Back
Top Bottom