AJ and Mueller | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AJ and Mueller

painnotpleasure said:
:yes: Agreed. But I'm just wondering, what are you thoughts on our QB coach Jason Garrett? Do you have any idea why he was third string on our Depth Chart at one time last year and than retired and became our QB coach? Any idea if he inexperienced or why we got him?

I was wondering the exact same thing.

Agua said:
Not immediately. He's not that brash. I don't think it's beyond him to jokey for favor with Saban though over coaches and assistant coaches.

Well then he would make smart decisions to gain Saban's favor. That's not necessarily dumping A.J. for Akili Smith. At least now I underrstand you though.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/9023915.htm

"What would have happened if early front-runner Randy Mueller had become the Dolphins' general manager instead of Rick Spielman?

''There's no way of knowing, [but] I always thought A.J. Feeley had starter's ability, and we considered drafting him when I was with the Saints,'' Mueller said.

``I don't think Miami could have afforded to wait for a veteran quarterback to become available in free agency. You couldn't chance it. Miami should be credited for this.''

dolphan north said:
Well then he would make smart decisions to gain Saban's favor. That's not necessarily dumping A.J. for Akili Smith. At least now I underrstand you though.

No, and I was exaggerating because I don't *expect* him to do that, but that doesn't seem to be out of character with what my impression of the guy is.

I dont see anything in Mueller's past that would lead you to believe he is a great judge of quarterbacks.Having said that I think he will do a better job of it that Speilman who lists of QBs included Ray Lucas,Cade McNown,Josh Heupel,Jay Feidler .I wont mention the ones they drafted while he was a scout in Chicago.

To be fair we dont know about AJ Feeley yet.

If I remember correctly Mueller was one of the few that said the Phins trading for Feeley was a good thing.

CrunchTime said:
I dont see anything in Mueller's past that would lead you to believe he is a great judge of quarterbacks.

If you're talking to me, I don't.

Agua said:
I'm sure Saban does think he can work with him. I'm not sure Mule has learned from his past. He'll have to prove that.
Remember, if things dont work out for him as GM, he does have "Ball-boy" experience!

CrunchTime said:
I dont see anything in Mueller's past that would lead you to believe he is a great judge of quarterbacks.

He acquired Jeff Blake, Aaron Brooks & Marc Bulger...that's not that bad in my book.

They've performed better than the QB'ing we've had around here for the last 8 years or so, but that ain't saying a lot.

painnotpleasure said:
:yes: Agreed. But I'm just wondering, what are you thoughts on our QB coach Jason Garrett? Do you have any idea why he was third string on our Depth Chart at one time last year and than retired and became our QB coach? Any idea if he inexperienced or why we got him?

The thing with Garrett is before we got him, he was already a 4th String QB/Assistant coach in Tampa. He backed up Aikman when he was with the Cowboys so he learned a lot from him. That's the reason Gruden wanted him. He hasn't played in a game since 1999 if I remember correctly. He also was an assistant coach at his alma mater the year after he went pro(he wasn't drafted) since he was released. So from a QB standpoint :rofl3: , he has a good knowledge of how a QB should play a game. Hopefully he can help Feeley out.

Gladsadmad said:
He acquired Jeff Blake, Aaron Brooks & Marc Bulger...that's not that bad in my book.

Jeff Blake was a FA.....Brooks was from GB (a Ron Wolf suggestion), and Bulger only went on to playing well with St. Louis...he was cut from the Saints practice squad I believe

of course the Saints were looking at AJ-he was a WCO QB. The Saints used (and still use) a WCO-based attack. Thats the whole reason Nolan wanted McCarthy (former NO OC)-he wanted to bring back the WCO to SF.

just because Mueller said he thought about drafting AJ doesn't make him a better Q all of a sudden. He still has a ways to even catch up to Gus' knowledge of the playbook and terminology. Its ultimately Saban/Linehan's decision on who to play.

Hell, Ron Wolf said that he thought that Tampa got a steal in the 2nd round in 1999 in the form of Shaun King. Wolf said that he thought that King would be a very good QB. We all know what happened to him....

Dudeman said:
Jeff Blake was a FA.....Brooks was from GB (a Ron Wolf suggestion), and Bulger only went on to playing well with St. Louis...he was cut from the Saints practice squad I believe

of course the Saints were looking at AJ-he was a WCO QB. The Saints used (and still use) a WCO-based attack. Thats the whole reason Nolan wanted McCarthy (former NO OC)-he wanted to bring back the WCO to SF.

just because Mueller said he thought about drafting AJ doesn't make him a better Q all of a sudden. He still has a ways to even catch up to Gus' knowledge of the playbook and terminology. Its ultimately Saban/Linehan's decision on who to play.

Hell, Ron Wolf said that he thought that Tampa got a steal in the 2nd round in 1999 in the form of Shaun King. Wolf said that he thought that King would be a very good QB. We all know what happened to him....
You're getting me wrong here. I'm neither saying that Mueller is always right nor am I saying that just because he likes Feeley that he'll be good.

I just find it relevant that he happened to have an opinion about Feeley and that his track record for QB's wasn't horrible.

Back
Top Bottom