Aj Derby...could He Be Another Piece We Are Overlooking? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Aj Derby...could He Be Another Piece We Are Overlooking?

claytonduper

Starter
Reaction score
I think this guy is a talented receiver and former QB. Just his ability to play as an emergency QB is worth a 3rd QB spot. A full off-season with the team, the playbook and being a veteran gives him some advantages. Can he block, play special teams and be a 3rd or 4th TE? If so he could be player to watch for early in the season.

I haven't followed him closely but Bill Belichick and Vance Joseph both gave up on him in the past two seasons. My expectation is that he's just a guy, but he came across as pretty well grounded and intelligent in yesterday's press conference. What are his obvious negatives? I think that Durham Smythe has much bigger long term upside. However, experienced TE veterans like Escobar, Derby and Gray can all help in the development of our two rookies. At least one of the veterans will be on the 53 man roster. I kinda like the versatility that MarQueis Gray offers.

Last edited:
Think it is between Gray and Derby as to who stays ... my $$ is on Derby, because he is actually a pass catching threat. Gray has not shown that ... and Gray doesn't like the 'fullback' / lead blocking piece at all (he has said so). So he versatility isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I see a LOT of potential with a trio of Derby, Gisecki and Smythe ..... Escobar doesn't stand a chance in the world at making this team and Gray is too limited.

I liked the connection that Tannehill and Gray seemed to have on those bootleg plays a few years back. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ive been saying this. Derby could be big for us early. i like derby and gray. I dont think the young pups will do much early

I'll be disappointed if Gesicki is not our top TE this coming season. I'm pretty sure Smythe will be fine as a blocking TE who can get you some catches too. The others should be fighting for the 3rd spot. I think people are making too much of the article the other day about Gesicki. He'll be fine.

I'll be disappointed if Gesicki is not our top TE this coming season. I'm pretty sure Smythe will be fine as a blocking TE who can get you some catches too. The others should be fighting for the 3rd spot. I think people are making too much of the article the other day about Gesicki. He'll be fine.
Deciding on #3 and $4 will be tough, considering I suspect only 3 make the 53.

I wish i was optimistic, but i dont see them making a jump until late in the season or year 2. hope im wrong. gesicki has alot of things to work on.

Grey is interesting, he played more TE 2 years ago, and last year played a FB position. Some wildcat QB too so he stays imo based on flexibility reason s.

I wish i was optimistic, but i dont see them making a jump until late in the season or year 2. hope im wrong. gesicki has alot of things to work on.

I loved the pick on draft day, but real expectations are hard to come by soon after.

I think Gesiki, has a decent freshman season and gets 400/4TDs. Anything over that IMO is gravy.

How many times did we try to force a score to him last year in that game at the end? I recall one where he didn’t attempt to make a play on the ball. Looked like a stiff. I don’t see it. We have two rookies and Gray who can play TE, FB and QB.

a.j.-derby
The potential is definitely there he is a 6”5 TE with 4.6 speed and he has pretty good hands. he just hasn’t been given the opportunity.he’s gifted athletically I Like his potential a lot.he’s only been in the league for two or three yearshttp://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/a.j.-derby?id=2552580

Back
Top Bottom