Alex Marvez Of The Sun Sentinel On 790 Am | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Marvez Of The Sun Sentinel On 790 Am

OurHeartAndSoul said:
Just when you think about the wear and tear a pitcher takes on his arm, especially a relief pitcher, over the course of a 162 game schedule. Seems to me it would benefit a pitcher more to use substances that speed up recovery time and rejuvanate muscles, than it would for a position player. JMHO

Absolutely.. Big O is spot on, parrott.

they just said he won't be on cause of technical difficulties...

ckparrothead said:
No offense to Big O but he just said one of the dumbest things I've heard. He said he thinks that pitchers are more affected by performance-enhancing substances, than batters. That's just...wrong.

I thought the big advantage was in the healing...pitchers need to recover and heal from every game they pitch. Maybe you have more to learn about steriods eh?

cnc66 said:
I thought the big advantage was in the healing...pitchers need to recover and heal from every game they pitch. Maybe you have more to learn about steriods eh?

I agree. I believe pitchers benefit more as well. Batters may obtain more power but the performance enhancers don't make them see the ball better or improve the players' ability to make contact. That is something you just have to be able to do. No pill or injection improves your ability to hit a breaking ball, curve ball, change-up, etc.

cnc66 said:

Those are different kinds of steroids, the ones that help you heal as opposed to the ones you use to build more muscle mass. The steroids they were talking about were the ones that guys like Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire used, and Big O was saying that they would help because they would give you more power in your pitching, whereas using them for hitting doesn't have as big an effect because you still need to be able to track and locate the ball. Steroids do not give much help to you in terms of getting more power in your pitching. They said nothing about using steroids to help you recover after pitching. It was indeed a very stupid thing for them to say.

I know plenty about steroids. Perhaps you should learn more about the context of the statement before you judge how much I know, eh?

SCall13 said:
I agree. I believe pitchers benefit more as well. Batters may obtain more power but the performance enhancers don't make them see the ball better or improve the players' ability to make contact. That is something you just have to be able to do. No pill or injection improves your ability to hit a breaking ball, curve ball, change-up, etc.

That's just plain incorrect. The steroids GREATLY enhance the speed with which you can swing the bat, which is what creates homeruns. Steroids for a pitcher will not give a pitcher more power or control in his arm. The best they can do is help the pitcher to recover between games. Talk to any trainer or baseball scout and he will tell you the same.

Steroids have directly led to an era of homerun hitters. We have not seen steroids lead to an era of pitchers the way we have seen it affect hitters.

ckparrothead said:
That's just plain incorrect. The steroids GREATLY enhance the speed with which you can swing the bat, which is what creates homeruns. Steroids for a pitcher will not give a pitcher more power or control in his arm. The best they can do is help the pitcher to recover between games. Talk to any trainer or baseball scout and he will tell you the same.

Steroids have directly led to an era of homerun hitters. We have not seen steroids lead to an era of pitchers the way we have seen it affect hitters.

Steroids greatly increase the leg power and shoulder strength of pitchers thereby increasing ten-fold the effectiveness of a pitchers change-up/fastball and giving more break to a breaking ball. Not to mention the huge stamina boost it gives relievers and recovery time it gives for starters.

You say that "the best steroids can do for a pitcher" is to help a pitcher recover between games? Ignorance at it's finest and don't underestimate recovery time for a pitcher. You're right about bat speed and power, but these things are obvious, don't act like you know it all.. If you can gain bat speed from steroids you can sure as hell gain velocity in throwing motion.

Back
Top Bottom