Alex Q&A | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Q&A

dolfan87

The Human Bullet
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, Carter a disturbing factor in the locker room...where have I heard THAT before?

Alex Q&A

so Alex agrees that "the team's depth at WR is troublesome. " :eek: I like OG and Ward, but health is certainly a concern.

Here is the key question for 2002:
Q: Do you REALLY think the Dolphins' offensive line is good enough to take advantage of Ricky Williams' presence, protect Jay Fiedler and make the Dolphins a serious Super Bowl contender? I am very skeptical. Jon Sloane, St. Louis, MO

A: I can't offer a final judgment until the end of training camp. There are questions at every position along the line except at right tackle, but there is talent that can be effective when healthy (i.e. center Tim Ruddy and left guard Mark Dixon).

A: Chester is 26 years old. As for Burnett, he will be filling a need for the Dolphins as a backup veteran defensive end at a relatively low price. The Dolphins would have preferred to keep Bromell and Mixon, but both received lucrative offers from Minnesota that the team was unable to match

I'm happier with Chester and Burnett. Chester is a better tackle than Mixon and Burnett is a better DE than Bromell. If DG proves to be a better DE than Mixon, we're good to go.

I picture DG as a DE much in the way that Shane Burton was for us, only alot better:
  1. strong at the point of attack ag. the run
  2. able to use his height to knock down lots of passes - particularly from righties
    [/list=1]

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by inFINSible

Burnett is a better DE than Bromell.

Wow now that is looking at things through rose colored glasses. In Burnett first 6 years yes he was clearly better then Bromell is now. However Burnett's only had 2 good seasons since then and is an old over the hill player who isn't going to match Bromell at all in terms of pass rushing this year.

But he'll certainly be more of the 2-dimensional player that Bromell wasn't. He won't get blown up at the point of attack.

In Burnetts' last full season he had 10 sacks......LoBro has never had 10 sacks in a season, let alone be strong enough against the run to be considered anything other than a situational player.
One year rested and asked to do nothing more than get after the passer.....Burnett will blow Brommell away.

I'm happier with Chester and Burnett. Chester is a better tackle than Mixon and Burnett is a better DE than Bromell. If DG proves to be a better DE than Mixon, we're good to go.

I think one thing that worries me, that NOBODY seems to be concerned with, and I don't understand why is...

Is Chester a better Tackle than Gardener?? That is the big question mark on our defensive line in my opinion. Gardener is a pro-bowl caliber Tackle, and everyone saw what happened when he went out last year. Can Chester fill his shoes?? Im not so sure.

He doesn't have to be as good as DG....he just has to hold up blockers from getting to Zach and plug the middle of the line against the run....both of which he has shown he has the ability to do....as a matter of fact, it is his strong suit.....besides that, DG will be right next to him.;)

Was Gardener ever healthy? I'm pretty sure he was. I mean, it would have been stupid for the 'Fins to draft him if he had shown chronic injury problems during college. Besides, the man is a beast. If Gardener stays healthy, I think 2, maybe 3 backs will break the century mark on us. I'm pretty pysched.

In Burnetts' last full season he had 10 sacks......LoBro has never had 10 sacks in a season, let alone be strong enough against the run to be considered anything other than a situational player.
One year rested and asked to do nothing more than get after the passer.....Burnett will blow Brommell away.

Rob Burnett's sack total for the past 6 years.
11 (on the best defense of the past 2 decades)

A guy on the downside of his career who will be lucky to post 4 sacks. He wasn't rested he played in 13 games last year and posted 0 sacks. He will be a decent veteran addition but not worth the almost 4 million he can make in 2 years here.

Lorenzo Bromell had 8 sacks as a rookie and contributed 6.5 last year and is considered to be on the upswing. He's a vicious hitter as evidenced by the fines he recieved all season long. You can't make comments about his run stopping because no one really knows how he will play it since he's never been asked to do anything other then rush the passer.

What do you mean I can't make comments about his ability to play the run, they don't just ASK you to play the run, you have to show some semblance of ability!.....and since he has never been asked to do anything BUT rush the passer, you would think he would be alot better at that!
ANYBODY in the NFL is a vicious hitter, given the chance. Brommell is no monster waiting to be unleashed.
Give Burnett the same responsiblities that LoBro had and you will see what a real player can do....and you won't be so impressed with the fines and cheap shots that were lobro's only notoriety.

Back
Top Bottom